Turn Sync on/off?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have 3 devices that use Android, but I've turned Sync off on 3 of them. I just don't want everything from my Google account to sync on all of them. However, will this cause any problems? I will still be able to use PlayStore, Drive, Gmail, etc. on all 3 of them without any problems, right?

Also how exactly does syncing work? Beside keeping YT watch history and Chrome browsing history, how does the PlayStore sync work?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The sync function controls background sync, i.e. the app going off on its own and doing its thing when you are off somewhere else (or it's sitting on your desk, off). Turning off sync basically means you will have to update the apps manually... Most apps auto-update their data on load, but worst case is you'll have to call for a refresh yourself when you launch it.It's basically just a phone home. If an app has background sync enabled, it periodically pings its home server... Google, Sony, Facebook, etc and asks for an update. If there is one, it'll download the data and then take whatever action might be needed.