Why haven't you switched to iPhone?

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Maybe you have an Android ecosystem that would be disrupted if you switched. Maybe you just hate Apple.

I've switched back and forth over the years, but something always keeps me coming back to Android, and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it (though this last time was because my iPhone 7 was buggy as hell).

What keeps you Android?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Starting over with a new ecosystem would suck and so would not having any options for hardware design and being majorly behind on the functionality of several apps. That said, a few apps on iOS are pretty awesome and I'd love to see more support for cross platform ideas that so far keeps Apple pretty far behind the curve of being able to use whatever peripheral gadgets a person decides they want.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I keep hearing rumours of iMessage for Android, which would be wild and crazy and a welcome addition. I've switched back and forth a bunch, but like you said, the variety keeps me coming back.

That being said, I do love that every iPhone gets system updates at the same time. Though perhaps the varying OSes of Android from device to device is what gives Android its charm :p. And the variety of peripherals, again as you said, can't be beat.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I haven't switch because my iPad is enough. It's the one apple product I have and it keeps me engage with iOS.. I love Android because I need freedom with content on my phones.. I like that I'm able to drag and drop content, and with iOS, you simply cannot perform these actions.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I totally agree. The funny thing is that I feel like an Android phone works more like a Mac than and iPhone does. Everything just seems to do what you want it to do in the way you think it should work. iOS is less intuitive.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I keep hearing rumours of iMessage for Android, which would be wild and crazy and a welcome addition. I've switched back and forth a bunch, but like you said, the variety keeps me coming back.

That being said, I do love that every iPhone gets system updates at the same time. Though perhaps the varying OSes of Android from device to device is what gives Android its charm :p. And the variety of peripherals, again as you said, can't be beat.

One downside to iMessage on Android is that apparently it won't be able to support SMS fallback (and possibly not SMS at all).

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I hadn't heard that. Well of course. Why would Apple let us have our cake and eat it too? That'd be giving us what we want, which, of course, is bad for business apparently.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of reasons why I don't choose Apple. I've done BlackBerry and Android, and have loved both experiences. Transferring ecosystems was slightly difficult but I adjusted, and I loved experiencing two different platforms. I'd even go to WP and probably will at some point, but I will never go to Apple. The following are my own subjective and biased reasons, and they are not intended to cause offense. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion! If you like Apple, great! These are just my views.

I dislike that Apple products are not only ferociously expensive (yes, I know BB and Android have expensive devices like the Priv and the Pixel, but Rogers often has Apple products retailing at over $1000 off-contract, and some of those devices aren't super new anymore), you have to buy Apple-related products to work with your iPhone. It's a money grab and I don't like it. You've already bought the brand, and yet they tell you you need to buy more accessories - which are more expensive than generic ones that should work with your phone, as they do with any other - in order for your phone to work with them.

The operating system is not my cup of tea. It's very simple (which isn't always a bad thing, but hear me out); which also means that there's no room for customization. You can't download launchers, you can't change the way the device looks, you can't have the same freedom as one could have with Android. I love customization and I change up my Android experience almost weekly in some way. I know that if I had an iPhone, I'd eventually go crazy because I can't change themes, launchers, icon packs, etc. Some launchers go so far as to totally change your experience of your device, and if Apple doesn't offer that, it won't hold interest for me.

I tend to steer clear of phones that are "popular" or that are seen as "status symbols" per societal standards. It seems like almost everyone has an iPhone. Some people simply buy it because "everyone has one," and I like going against trends. I like doing my own thing. I often grab last year's flagship or a phone that's awesome yet underrated because I want to be different and to have something unique. You pay big bucks for phones these days, and Apple is probably one of the most expensive mobile products you could buy - and don't forget the Apple accessories you need to purchase.

Another thing that keeps me going to Android: the freedom of manufacturer and choice. If you go Android, you have a ton of different manufacturers and options to choose from. You can choose a bigger or smaller phone - so, a Nexus 6P or Sony Compact device - or you can grab a phone with a sick camera, like pretty much any Samsung product out there; or maybe you want one with a removable battery and a literally big experience: the LG V20. You can also go the economical route and buy a midrange device that gets the job done just as well as a flagship device, but at a fraction of the cost: Asus Zenfone 2 or 3, OnePlus devices, or Honor devices. You literally have a tonnnage of options, and you don't need a pile of cash to make a decision.

And all of these phones look different! You can get a phone that is truly unique other than just a different colour. To me, all iPhones look the same (except for the Plus series, obviously!). You don't have as much choice when it comes to purchasing a new phone. With Android, yes, you may have a harder decision on your hands, but at least you have lots of options!

Don't get me wrong - I definitely respect Apple for their media reputation and for iMessage, which is one of the best messaging platforms ever. My boyfriend has an iPhone and I sometimes fiddle with it, but due to the reasons stated above, I know I couldn't use an iPhone for an extended period of time. Android is a freeing and more economical experience for me, and I've grown to love the stock Android experience as well. These are my reasons! Essay is done! :p

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. Freedom of choice is huge, and I like that on Android Central we can give an unbiased review of a device and if it sucks, we can say that, because we're not biting the hand that feeds.

Those who stick with Apple are sort of stuck with whatever they're given and I don't think that's right. Customization is fun, and your phone should truly be _yours_. That being said, to me Android will always be "colder" than iOS, which isn't necessarily bad. It'd just be nice to see some fun stuff like the iMessage stickers and cute touches like that.

Totally get what you mean about status symbols. I love my Nexus 6P and I love that every time I pull it out someone asks what it is.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Nothing keeps me Android, I switch back and forth. When I'm on my Android rotation I miss things about the iPhone and visa versa. I think I'll be quite happy for the next 10 months, perhaps longer, with my V20s and V10.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. Freedom of choice is huge, and I like that on Android Central we can give an unbiased review of a device and if it sucks, we can say that, because we're not biting the hand that feeds.

Those who stick with Apple are sort of stuck with whatever they're given and I don't think that's right. Customization is fun, and your phone should truly be _yours_. That being said, to me Android will always be "colder" than iOS, which isn't necessarily bad. It'd just be nice to see some fun stuff like the iMessage stickers and cute touches like that.

Totally get what you mean about status symbols. I love my Nexus 6P and I love that every time I pull it out someone asks what it is.

Yes! A phone should be truly "yours" and I think that Android understands that with regards to customer experience.

And I get what you're saying: it would be cool if we could get something like iMessage "touches." To be honest, that would be the only reason for me to consider an Apple product, but it's certainly not enough to keep me interested.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I'm the exact same. Only reason I switched to the iPhone 7 for a bit was because it was flashy and new and I wanted to have fun with iMessage again. That wore off pretty dang quickly.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I feel the same. Apple puts you in their box and you must think inside of it or you're gonna have a bad time. I also watched my first two Apple events this year and telling people your phone is the "best" does not make it so. It also gets pretty stale about a half hour in.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've tried it... And iPhone works but I prefer Android. I like being able to do what I want when I want. Such as simply download a large app on mobile. On iPhone it would tell me to get on wifi or no go.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Android since I like the options available in hardware and the ability to customise my device as I see fit with various launchers, themes and icons. Android has all the apps I need. There is nothing on iOS that I need and cannot get on Android.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
So you have no reason to switch and therefore don't even think about switching. Have you ever used iPhone? If not and you started with iPhone, do you think you'd feel the same about iOS?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My reasons are similar to Morty2264 above (great post BTW! :)).

To add; Apple is just too restrictive to me where it's pretty much their way or the highway. That type of thing just rubs me the wrong way. I think in part it goes back to my start in IT (Information Technology) in the mid 90''s where I had a ton of options when building computers and installing Windows on them (something Apple simply didn't allow/support even back then). Despite that I've tried using various family member's Apple products over the years only to find that restrictive feeling setting in quite quickly again making me want to get back to my Android or Windows devices as soon as possible.

Thank you very much! And I agree with you! It's super restrictive - that's the perfect word for it. There's no room for individuality, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol