Long term phones?

Cer Berus

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I can only change phones every 20-something months because of my rather old contract, which I choose to maintain over newer ones. Naturally, I look for phones that age well and hold up until it's time to renew it. I'm more or less new to Android, so I don't really know how well an outdated Android OS reacts to newer apps, updates, and the sort. I've had a Moto G2 for over a year now, and I can say it still runs most things just fine, but it takes up to 10 seconds to open most apps from zero, and it can only handle simple or lightweight 3D games with no stuttering.

I'm well aware it's puny by today's standards, but back when it was released it was almost "mid-range premium" iirc, and it worries me how fast it lost that status.

My main concern is speed, not power for gaming or replacing a PC. So I've been looking at iPhones which seem to have good longevity in this regard, other Motorolas thanks to their near stock Android, and maybe a Huawei or two like the P9 or Mate 9, though I worry these will slow down noticeably like my G2 over 2 years.

I don't really like the iOS restrictive ecosystem, but if I have to choose over potential Android slowdown, or the marriage of Apple's restrictive software and hardware for speed, then I'll do so. I'm posting so someone disproves or confirms my worries on Android as of 2016, and suggests a phone that meets my requirements. My budget goes up to the cost of an iPhone 7 32GB.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think you would like the LG V20. Its quite fast, runs very very smoothly, and has a ton of great features.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I can only change phones every 20-something months because of my rather old contract, which I choose to maintain over newer ones. Naturally, I look for phones that age well and hold up until it's time to renew it. I'm more or less new to Android, so I don't really know how well an outdated Android OS reacts to newer apps, updates, and the sort. I've had a Moto G2 for over a year now, and I can say it still runs most things just fine, but it takes up to 10 seconds to open most apps from zero, and it can only handle simple or lightweight 3D games with no stuttering.

I'm well aware it's puny by today's standards, but back when it was released it was almost "mid-range premium" iirc, and it worries me how fast it lost that status.

My main concern is speed, not power for gaming or replacing a PC. So I've been looking at iPhones which seem to have good longevity in this regard, other Motorolas thanks to their near stock Android, and maybe a Huawei or two like the P9 or Mate 9, though I worry these will slow down noticeably like my G2 over 2 years.

I don't really like the iOS restrictive ecosystem, but if I have to choose over potential Android slowdown, or the marriage of Apple's restrictive software and hardware for speed, then I'll do so. I'm posting so someone disproves or confirms my worries on Android as of 2016, and suggests a phone that meets my requirements. My budget goes up to the cost of an iPhone 7 32GB.

I'd recommend the Nexus 5X.

Still fast and smooth and has at least one more year of OS updates and at least two more years of monthly security patches.

Cer Berus

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
It's rather old, isn't it? I won't change my phone until next year, so by the time I'm done with my contract the phone will be almost 4 years old!

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
You have a nice juicy budget :D

If you don't mind large phones, I would say look at:

- Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
- LG V20
- Huawei Mate 9
- HTC 10
- Moto Z Force

All these should make it 24months without a hassle.

Cer Berus

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Depends on the phone.

Do you think the recommendations so far could live 2 years and still be quick and snappy? Being reasonable, of course, I'd keep them clean from unnecessary software and use the more performance oriented apps (like a Facebook client instead of *just* Facebook). It's just that my G2 can't even run stock apps (like Google Now) without freezing, and that worries me.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Do you think the recommendations so far could live 2 years and still be quick and snappy? Being reasonable, of course, I'd keep them clean from unnecessary software and use the more performance oriented apps (like a Facebook client instead of *just* Facebook). It's just that my G2 can't even run stock apps (like Google Now) without freezing, and that worries me.
I would recommend the S7 Edge or the LG v20 depending on your preferences. I have experience with both phones and they are both excellent. Also as far as longevity is concerned, I had a Galaxy Note 3 for 2 years with no issues. At the time I had received it knew through my work.

Cer Berus

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I would recommend the S7 Edge or the LG v20 depending on your preferences. I have experience with both phones and they are both excellent. Also as far as longevity is concerned, I had a Galaxy Note 3 for 2 years with no issues. At the time I had received it knew through my work.
I'm more partial towards the S7 Edge, it really is a beautiful phone. I'll look more into it for sure.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has yet to show that monthly security updates and major OS updates for last year's phones are a priority. The only phones that will FOR SURE get 2 years of major OS updates and 3 years of monthly security updates are Nexus and Pixel phones. The Nexus 5X is expected to get Android 'O', the version expected to be released in 2017, and will get security updates for another year beyond that.

Here's when your Nexus phone or tablet will stop receiving guaranteed updates | Android Central

Now, THEORETICALLY, the 5x and 6P are still being sold new, to Project Fi users and new sign-ups. That SHOULD extend the assured OS updates for those devices to 18 months from when they are no longer sold there, if you read that article literally.

Cer Berus

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has yet to show that monthly security updates and major OS updates for last year's phones are a priority. The only phones that will FOR SURE get 2 years of major OS updates and 3 years of monthly security updates are Nexus and Pixel phones. The Nexus 5X is expected to get Android 'O', the version expected to be released in 2017, and will get security updates for another year beyond that.

Here's when your Nexus phone or tablet will stop receiving guaranteed updates | Android Central

Now, THEORETICALLY, the 5x and 6P are still being sold new, to Project Fi users and new sign-ups. That SHOULD extend the assured OS updates for those devices to 18 months from when they are no longer sold there, if you read that article literally.
This is a great point software-wise in favor of the two Nexus phones, but there's no way we'd know if their hardware would be good enough in 24 more months now, is there?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This is a great point software-wise in favor of the two Nexus phones, but there's no way we'd know if their hardware would be good enough in 24 more months now, is there?

The SoC's are the same (or at least similar speeds and capability) as those used in the same generation Samsung devices, are they not? There's nothing special on the hardware front to separate the Nexus devices from comparable handsets.

One of the main limitations for getting a new version of Android released is support from the SoC manufacturer. Just look at the Nexus 5, Qualcomm decided not to support Nougat on the SoC used in that phone so Google was unable to develop a build of Nougat for it.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
If you are going with the Samsung, I would suggest getting the Exynos variant, it will run smoother, give better battery life and heat up a lot less. I went from a Snapdragon Note 4 to an Exynos S7 Edge and could not be happier :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And exactly how well do Androids age as of Marshmallow and up?

It'll take time to tell.

I have had 0 issues with my Moto X Pure Edition (Marshmallow) and Moto Z Force Droid (was Marshmallow, now Nougat) related to slowness due to aging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star