No more bezel in phones - How is this a good thing?

ericscottl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Why do phone companies think bezel-less phones are a great idea? The bezel has a practical purpose in that it allows you to, you know, HOLD YOUR PHONE without accidentally touching the screen?? I can barely pick up my S7 Edge without accidentally clicking something on the side of the screen, and it's frustrating. And now I hear the S8 will be completely bezel-less.

Phone companies are obsessed with making everything thinner, thinner, thinner and no wasted space. As if the phones aren't already thin enough. And dammit that .01 mm border on the side of the phone needs to go. Must be ALL SCREEN! Why do the companies think this is what everyone wants?

There's something to be said about phone comfort/ergonomics, and making a phone as thin as a credit card with the screen covering 100% of the face, well it just fails in that regard.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
it allows you to, you know, HOLD YOUR PHONE
I'm inclined to agree. Looking back on past devices I have had, sure the S2 was a bezel fiend. But, fast forward to the Moto X 2013, and that was a phone that had a nice balance. Enough of a bezel on the sides to not frustrate you, but also had a pretty good screen to body ratio at the same time.

My Note 5 often reads my palm, due to the way I hold my phones. Sometimes my Pixel does too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure -- I never understood the whole "war on bezel" thing people are hopping on. I have the Pixel XL and have zero issues with it. I don't need my phone to be super skinny in order to enjoy it.. I enjoy the bezel some so I can actually hold the phone (as you said) and not have accidental touches when holding it.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite happy with the near bezeless look of my S7 Edge, then again I have a clear slim case on it, so accidental touches are minimal.

I like it's balance of near bezeless sides and minimal bezel at the top and bottom.

I hate the huge Top and Bottom bezels on Google Pixel and iPhone, they are a whole lot of wasted space, IMO.

The Galaxy Note 7 had a near perfect design, but unfortunately they failed to leave enough space inside for the battery, had they done the inside right I'd be happily using one.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You bring up a good point, OP. I'm all for bezel-less phones in theory, but in practice, I'd probably be super clumsy and drop the thing when picking it up! I rely a lot on the bezels when I think about it, and I'd most likely becomes obsessed with the inevitable fingerprint scuffs that would be all over the "sides" of my phone. Great post!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Although they look cool, in reality I don't think they'll be that practical but what do I know. I'm pretty good with my S7 (regular)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree -- minimal bezels lead to more inadvertent touches for me. It's kind of like the usual "CELLPHONE OF THE FUTURE" you see in sci-fi movies, which is completely transparent. Why would that be good? Wouldn't it be kind of hard to read things when everything looks transparent? Just because something looks cool doesn't mean it'll function well.:p

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I am not on board with the bezel hate.... I have large hands and greatly appreciate the bezels on my 6P, especially when I'm holding it landscape, watching something. My wife has an S7 Edge, and she had a Note 7, and those both were nightmares to hold outside of their cases... I spent too much time trying to avoid touching the screen.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I also agree. One of the biggest reasons I use a case, perhaps even more important than protecting the phone is that it provides a bezel like extension so I can actually hold the phone. Whenever I try and use a smartphone without a case, I end up accidently touching the display a million times.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I prefer a smaller bezel ( height wise more then width wise)
However it's not a deal breaker in itself,, if I like everything else about a phone and has larger bezels.
I get why some do and some don't like larger bezels.
I usually hold the phone around the outside of the phone's frame more then holding onto the bezel part .
The main reason I like the smaller bezels is just gives smaller physical size of the phone and having max screen size.

Last edited:

BBgeeqed04

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I think if they can put a 6" screen on a 5.5" phone, they can charge more for the phone. It's about the money and not the usability of the phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the bezel-less designs look great, but I question their functionality.

Agree...look very futuristic and cool but I don't want to handle one for day to day use. Phones are in a rut, they're resorting to these gimmicky features to sell product. I don't blame them if I'm running the company, but I won't be interested in those models and will probably move on once the time comes.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I always use a case so I have no problem with the wacky war on bezels. That said, bezels don't bother me. The iPhone's seems needlessly large on the t&b but no need to go for 100% screen either.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I always use a case so I have no problem with the wacky war on bezels. That said, bezels don't bother me.
I feel much the same. On the other hand, since I have a fairly bulky case, I'm glad of how slim the phone is, because it keeps the whole thing to a much more "pocketable" level. So that is a plus.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I always use a case so I have no problem with the wacky war on bezels. That said, bezels don't bother me. The iPhone's seems needlessly large on the t&b but no need to go for 100% screen either.

You bring up a good point as per usual, tadpoles. As someone who is always using a case on their device and would therefore have something to grip onto, perhaps I could handle this type of thing. But I still feel like a little bezel would go a long way. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2