Opinion: Are Apps Dying?

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Maybe if I got a Home myself, I might change my opinion.

Back to the original topic, I kind of see where LeoRex is going: some apps might be rendered obsolete, but I think there will be some that just won't go away.

At my apartment I no longer log into uber, I just tell Google home to order one. I no longer log into Netflix, I just tell google home put that on my tv. At my house, I use Alexa to set my thermostat instead of firing up an app. I never use the app on my phone to turn on and off the lights. I can see apps being replaced by voice. The apps are not obsolete but I can see where they wont be needed once an account is set up.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
My first thought about this topic is a public setting where many are talking to their device trying to get it to perform a function...that could be a nightmare in a quiet setting (ex. turning it into a noisy one). Or what about a very loud environment such as a sporting event, a concert or a factory floor? In those settings voice controls will be difficult if not impossible to use.

My second thought is apps will still be needed for complex or multi-step processes. An example is my weather app that has a widget on my home screen that provides immediate info on current conditions and by simply tapping the widget will launch the app to see even more detail such as a multi-day forecast or options for numerous radar maps (or ability to choose various nearby reporting stations for more accurate info). Or there's my calendar app that I use frequently to manage my work schedule and various appointments where I need to view a monthly or sometimes a weekly view of events.

Exactly this.. I talk to my home device and my phone when I am alone or in a quiet setting. We all know that some TV reporter used Alexa to order doll houses for hundreds of people. But we are just now learning and in time things will change.

The other dimension that I worry about in a public setting is how stupid I look talking to a phone! :). Holding a phone in front of me and speaking carefully into it is how I use 'ok google'. My accent is a little harder to discern. I see something like the airpods making it socially easier (people cannot make out if I am talking to someone else or the phone itself!).

My thought on the voice issue is that every assistant should be more complete and allow for a text option... What was built into Allo, needs to be added to the voice command option to solve this very reasonable and realistic issue.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that assistants have their limitations as it stands today, but what if the first step would be to remove the icons from the phone and have the assistant be the point of engagement instead of touching an icon. You would still operate the program as you always have. I think that could be a starting point.

I would hate that. I enjoy my assistant but it definitely wouldn't be good to be the only interaction point. I don't think it will ever go to that since you can't always talk to your smartphone when in crowded places or in places where it is quiet. People would rather tap on the app and view what they want. Even if you could type into it that would still be super annoying... I have to type "Twitter" or "News" versus tap, scroll, go back to screen and tap another? Makes one handed not so friendly.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I would hate that. I enjoy my assistant but it definitely wouldn't be good to be the only interaction point. I don't think it will ever go to that since you can't always talk to your smartphone when in crowded places or in places where it is quiet. People would rather tap on the app and view what they want. Even if you could type into it that would still be super annoying... I have to type "Twitter" or "News" versus tap, scroll, go back to screen and tap another? Makes one handed not so friendly.

Hmmm...? I definitely understand your point. I see the losing the icon as a plus but, looking through your lens, I can see how others might have the preference of tapping the icon.

manusingh4646

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
I don't know much about apps but I am quite aware that the android game market is pretty active however, not for developers. Daily some big players drop a new game , pouring thousands of dollar into marketing and we just look there like bunch street dealers.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think this article from Jerry really highlights a step in the direction of my original thought on this thread. In essence, this type of technology has to beg the question for the need with native apps.

To me, this suggests that the web will one day soon be the demise of native apps and more and more will be handled by servers via the internet.

...And I absolutely love it!

Google just showed us the future of Android: The web is your app store | Android Central

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463