Possibly the Smartest Thing the Verge Ever Said

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The opening example of watching an ad lasting 30 seconds to watch a 14 clip of a play is a good example. Most people have become so desensitized by the constant bombardment of ads, that I truly wonder if they still have an effect.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
These days, those kinds of ads make me leave the site immediately, so it's definitely detrimental.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is why I block ads in every app and on and on any phone and computer I own even on free apps that are ad supported. I have one app that as soon as I opened it, would direct me to some other site that would open in my browser. I replied to the company on Twitter and told them that I block ads in their app and why. Never got a reply. Why would they want to kick someone out of their app the second it opens?

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
If I get those type of ads, then I don't bother visiting those websites ever again.
I'm with you!

If I happen to click on the link to an article that interests me, and I get an advertisement that takes over the web page, then I close the browser completely.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't quite understand the disconnect... Users don't just dislike many of the new ad models, they hate them with every fiber of their being. I don't know how often I've gone to a site... had my browser session seem to lock up and not take any input, only to find out that its rendering some add for auto insurance that I have to SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWLLLLLYYYYYYY scroll off my screen before I can continue.

Then I usually close the tab and avoid that site/link again if I can.

Now, I understand that sites need revenue to do their thing, and that ads are a critical piece of that puzzle.... but all these intrusive ads do is encourage people to either avoid your site all together, or use ad blocking schemes that defeat the purpose of you having the ads in the first place.

And the sites/ad sources still don't get it... the ads are getting worse by the day. I mean, remember when we used to get annoyed by a simple banner ad? Oh my god, I wish for those days again.