Motorola at it again

dcmasta

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Dear Motorola,
Thank you for bringing us some great phones. The droid, droid-x, ect.
Witht that said, why are you reliving the days of the RAZR? Why are you pushing out "New" phones with slightly better specs? You remember what happened the last time you pulled this kind of move. You faced major down sizing and possible shutdown of multiple plants in asia and india.

Then there was this shimmer of hope, ANDROID, here to bring back what you are today. A mobile power house. I'm writing this amist of finding all the "New" motorola handsets are just slightly upgraded models. I personally own a HTC phone and will probably continue purchasing HTC because Sense is Sexy.
I hope they really start to look back and remember the days before android....
Let the flaming begin.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is a android powerhouse. They take care of their customers and keep their phones updated better than anyone else aside from a nexus. I am not a fan, but I think they are "at it again" well. The fact people can sbf off GB shows they have root users in mind. Hail the big bad moto, and hail the RZR! Ha ha.

Citrouze

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I personally think Motorola has always made ugly phones with ugly UI. I think they should totally redo their UI and think of better and sleeker designs. Doing that would push them very far ahead, in my opinion.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Dear Motorola,
Witht that said, why are you reliving the days of the RAZR? Why are you pushing out "New" phones with slightly better specs?

Isn't this EXACTLY what HTC just did with the Inspire 4g, the Incredible 2, and the Thunderbolt?

dcmasta

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Your right, most phone mfgs are doing the same thing. I think honestly phones should be more like PC's since thats what they're trying to repalce. Modular upgrades, allow a phone to live longer by offerering upgradable parts. This solution wouldn't sound viable to the phone mfgs but to the hardware makers themselves this would be great. They can keep craking out hardware for the same form factors. Just my 2 cents.

jcjdoss

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the thing they are doing different is they are not using one phone as their pillar and letting an outside source worry about the OS.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dear Motorola,
Witht that said, why are you reliving the days of the RAZR? Why are you pushing out "New" phones with slightly better specs? You remember what happened the last time you pulled this kind of move. You faced major down sizing and possible shutdown of multiple plants in asia and india.

Then there was this shimmer of hope, ANDROID, here to bring back what you are today. A mobile power house. I'm writing this amist of finding all the "New" motorola handsets are just slightly upgraded models. I personally own a HTC phone and will probably continue purchasing HTC because Sense is Sexy.
Let the flaming begin.

'Slightly' upgraded? You would have a point with phones like the Droid X2, but that isn't a fair comparison to make since the upgrades for that are actually pretty substantial, even if the case is going to be the same. (but, the ID of the X is actually still pretty damn good)

Droid to Droid 2 saw processing power and RAM double. That is hardly 'slightly' upgraded. There are also only so many changes they can make. 1Ghz is the ceiling right now for phones. Even though the spec-changes might seem modest, there are substantial under the hood changes in newer generations that benefit the user even though they can't see the difference on the spec sheet.

You are also aware that Motorola makes other phones outside of Verizon, like the Atrix, aren't you? Those aren't cookie cutter phones.

Motorola is doing the right thing; they're not flooding the market with similar handsets, and instead choosing to focus on a few choice models. And, for God's sake, when someone says 'Droid' no one thinks HTC, they think Motorola.

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Dear Motorola,

Let the flaming begin.

I think HTC is more at fault with the first paragraph. Almost every phone they hatch looks like a variation of the Nexus One theme. Even their Windows Phone 7s. Even the Sensation, but it has dual core. The only design variations HTC ever made was for the Legend, and then, the blocky plastic design used on the Incredible and Aria.

I praise Motorola for being aggressive. They make great and varied designs. You're not going to confuse the Atrix with the Droid X and the Droid Pro with the Droid 2 and with the Cliq 2. In fact Motorola has all sorts of other Androids that they never showed in the US, like the clamshell Ming, or the XT720.

What I do not praise Motorola has nothing to do with RAZR tactics or Motoblur, but that somewhere in between the US and China, they neglected the rest of the world with their marketing, allowing HTC and Samsung to dominate the Android world in the Asian and European markets. They completely failed in their international marketing strategy by not releasing a GSM Milestone 2 and Milestone X when the going was hot, and that momentum was seized away by the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I had a Captivate before the Atrix I have now, and at least between Motorola and Samsung, Motorola has the better hardware. I'm not a fan of either TouchWiz or Motoblur, so the UIs are a push as far as I'm concerned.

What I would like to see is Motorola use a 4.3" qHD non-PenTile display, as well as put out a pure Android phone with no UI skinned on top of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool