How Deep is Technology in Your Life?

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I have been considering all of the ways that technology has changed my lifestyle over the past decade or so. I use it now more than ever before for sure. When I reflect on some of life's necessities such as paying a bill and how that's changed for me. I really started to think about how much I use technology.

I pay every bill possible through the web; I can't remember the last time I wrote and mailed a check.
I probably go into a banking branch once a year...maybe.
I buy my clothing/shoes online. I haven't been to a mall in gotta be at least 3 years.
Matter of fact, I do more shopping on Amazon/Ebay for other items than anywhere else.
I stream my movies and music. ( oh the days of taking a trip to Tower Records).
All of my communication is through my mobile phone, even though I have a home landline that I haven't used since 2010 probably.
I've tried to move even more paperless with e-fax and electronic signatures when possible.
I read all my news online, even the local paper.
All books are e-books when available.
Medical and/or prescriptions on-line...
Take-out .. on-line.
Lunch/dinner reservations on-line.
I download any games for my console on-line.
Pictures stored in the cloud..

I can go on, but I think that's enough to get the point. The vast majority of these things I used to have to interact with differently just a few years ago. Technology has freed up so much of my time, that I now have the free time to post on AC!:p

But how about other users? Has tech made you more efficient, more lazy, or even more frustrated ?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm pulling back, mainly by not staring at my phone as much as I used to. I see all the phone zombies walking around and it just made me think I don't want to be one of them, sort of stop and smell the roses type of thing. Technology can dominate and distract like nothing else so for me I'm taking a more prudent look at it.

...as I type this on a forum devoted to phones LOL :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Technology has definitely made me more efficient when it comes to things like not having to wait around a landline or a computer for a call/email. I love being able to answer email from multiple accounts from my phone without having to open up different browsers on my computer.

But one thing that has hugely changed my life with regards to technology is shopping. I do a lot of online shopping now. Christmas shopping is significantly easier because I now do a chunk of it online, weeks beforehand, so I know it will ship in time. Even for birthdays and other special occasions, I will almost always end up buying something online. And I even bought my last smartphone online, so technology has even changed how I purchase technology... Mind has imploded.

When I didn't have a smartphone, I'd always turn on the TV to get the weather. Now I am always able to check the weather on my phone. Being a weather junkie, this is so convenient.

I haven't jumped into the online banking world yet, but I have to say that it's tempting to not have to walk to the bank in the winter... ;).

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I definitely think technology has it's pros and cons. Obviously i always look at the positive side of things. :)
Being able to video chat family and friends from all over the world is really awesome.
Being able to just type a quick question in on Youtube and getting a 'how to' video quickly and easily. At the end of the day, it saves me a lot of money because i can now do things myself instead of calling someone in to do it for me.

It also allows me to chat with all you great people on AndroidCentral. Which definitely brings a smile to my face on a daily basis. Do we spend too much time on our devices? I definitely think so. BUT if it makes you happy, then it's fine. When ever i go shopping, sleeping, driving or at school. My phone is always off and try my best to take a break from technology. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith