Do battery cases block the phone antenna?

Lexamundo

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I use a phone case battery pack (PoweBear) and am starting to wonder if the antenna area of the phone was considered or ingored in the engineering and construction of battery cases for various phone models. I'm betting antenna location is ignored. The actual signal strength reading (not bars) of my Samsung S6 is slightly lower by a few db with the case vs. without.

Anyone have solid info to share?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
The main antenna on the S6 is down the bottom of that device at the back. It's a loop around an inch high roughly. If you cover that with anything that blocks radio signal, your device has to push more power to transmit and it will be a bit more "deaf". I'm not sure if the components of the battery are radio opaque or not...

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it depends on the case.

Most cases are made of Polycarbonate, which is a very strong plastic that phones used to be made of before the Glass and Metal fad began.

Polycarbonate allows signal to go through with ease so I would assume MOST cases do not affect signal,or at least not to a significant degree,in actual fact I believe they can improve it as they create a buffer between you and the phone's antennas, which without a case you want would possibly block, especially in metal phone's.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I use a phone case battery pack (PoweBear) and am starting to wonder if the antenna area of the phone was considered or ingored in the engineering and construction of battery cases for various phone models. I'm betting antenna location is ignored. The actual signal strength reading (not bars) of my Samsung S6 is slightly lower by a few db with the case vs. without.

Anyone have solid info to share?

Any object that you place between your phone and the cell tower, will hurt the signal a little. I think if you purchases cases that are from reputable manufacturers, they normally do pay some attention to signal strength. It's mostly focussed around the actual battery design though. As long as the battery case isn't made out of any metal you should be fine. The phone may use a little more power to send and receive signal but i wouldn't worry to much about it. :)