Anyone using a 4GB device? (Storage, not RAM)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm testing a Moto E 1st Gen for someone, and generally mucking about with it. By limiting my downloaded apps to Tapatalk, Slack, and the 3 UK app - all of which I need - and by clearing cache and data and reverting to factory versions of some preinstalled apps, I've managed to free just over 1GB of storage....an incredible amount. :)
It's an enjoyable challenge trying to use a 4GB phone, though not a VERY enjoyable one.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone using a 4GB device?

The E is on 4.4.4.
This is how things​ stand with respect to storage at the moment:

c0007ddd2355397b38b12cb94096b6e9.jpg

I've lost a bit of space since earlier. :)

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Has anyone tried this in the US? My understanding (probably incorrect) is the OS by itself needs 4-5G.

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Anyone using a 4GB device?

I had an old Galaxy Prevail with 8GB of storage... it was quite a challenging experience with such little storage and the phone was a little sluggish itself too! I couldn't image what having only 4GB of storage feels like. I made the best of it though, installing custom OS's on it made up for the sluggishness. (CyanogenMod)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone tried this in the US? My understanding (probably incorrect) is the OS by itself needs 4-5G.
For some reason, the OS seems to occupy more storage on higher-storage devices than on lower-storage ones. I don't know why. The Moto E/1 has 4GB total, into which OS and everything else must be crammed. I think the OS takes about 1.8GB.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My kids had those Motos... A first gen G and a second gen E... It was a constant struggle to keep them from getting jammed.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm testing a Moto E 1st Gen for someone, and generally mucking about with it. By limiting my downloaded apps to Tapatalk, Slack, and the 3 UK app - all of which I need - and by clearing cache and data and reverting to factory versions of some preinstalled apps, I've managed to free just over 1GB of storage....an incredible amount. :)
It's an enjoyable challenge trying to use a 4GB phone, though not a VERY enjoyable one.

Thats seriously impressive. Cant imagine having a device with only 4GB storage. Doesn't the Android OS take like 3GB of that? haha. I recently just upgraded my Blackberry Q5 which had 8GB storage and that was a tight squeeze. Without my 32GB Micro SD card, i probably wouldn't have made it :D

Last edited:

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

For some reason, the OS seems to occupy more storage on higher-storage devices than on lower-storage ones. I don't know why. The Moto E/1 has 4GB total, into which OS and everything else must be crammed. I think the OS takes about 1.8GB.
Low end phones generally have a lot less hardware to run and therefore less software required. An E1 doesn't have Barometers, gyros etc...To keep on, nor does it have global antennas with LTE or high resolution displays, it doesn't have extra software built-in etc... All this requires more memory when implemented.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
That's craziness. I bought a prepaid device for one of my kids a year ago and it had 4gb of storage. It had just enough room for the OS, angry birds and 3-4 pictures. Lol.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I just got this, which I'll decline....it would use more of that precious storage:

f3f88107d44d0348f7a5a05fc649f3e6.jpg

Kitkat is a good version of the OS anyway. :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Take the update buddy... It'll clean up after itself and they started to better optimize for lower powered devices in 5.0