Help me choose between these smartphones? Which is best?

thcguy12

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
So I need a new phone. I have a Galaxy s5 right now with a cracked screen and battery that lasts about 1/2 a day. It's also getting slower and slower even after a complete factory reset.

I want something with a huge screen (5.7inch, fast processor, great camera, fingerprint reader, and long lasting battery)

I can't afford the brand new hottest phones sadly. So here are the ones I could afford.
(I am on ATT but not under contract and could go anywhere).

Any opinions on what to get?

---

Nexus 6P 64GB Unlocked ($180)
LG G6 ($20 per month)
LG V20 ($14 per month)
ZTE Axon 7 ($16 per month)

I am open to other suggestions too.
(can't afford the newest Samsung, Pixel, or IPhone sadly)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

Well, although you can't get the latest and most expensive phone out there, you really don't need to with the lineup you've got there! All of those phones would make good choices, in my opinion.

The Nexus 6P is a great buy. It was one of the better phones when it came out, and I highly recommend it; even today. There are users on the Nexus 6P forum threads here on Android Central who are still using their phones since its initial release and loving it! The only thing I would caution you about is that Google is going to stop putting out updates for the 6P (it's either already happened or will happen soon). However, that doesn't mean that it's not a quality device: the phone will still work fine and will serve you well! To illustrate, Google has stopped pushing out updates for the Nexus 5 and my coworker was using it up until about three months ago with no problems.

The LG series devices you are looking at are stellar. Either of those phones would be great! Large displays, good quality screens and colour (from what I've heard), and LG's customer service is pretty good. I'd contacted them about my G3 and they got back to me very promptly. LG is a good software experience in my opinion, although the LG skin is not for everyone. However, you can just slap on another launcher or theme of your choice and voilà! Problem solved.

The Axon 7 is a very good choice. If you're looking to not spend a ton of money and to also have a good phone experience, this is the device for you. I've heard really good things about it, and had briefly considered buying it unlocked before I bought my Honor 8.

My advice to you is to watch unboxing and review videos on YouTube (Android Central is obviously a great source, but Android Authority is another channel I jump to for quality reviews). Also, if you can, try to grab a hold of these phones in the store to see how they feel in the hand. You may find that one phone "works" better in the hand than others - sometimes, they can be similar in size but one is a better fit for you, literally! Seeing them up close also helps you figure out if you'd be okay with looking at that phone every day for two years or for however long your contract will last.

Also, if you buy your new phone in person, do not let your sales rep influence your decision. Sure, let them answer your questions and give you some input; but some sales reps will use their own personal biases to try and convince you to get the device they think you want instead of the one you actually want.

Good luck, and please reach out to us if you have more questions or need anything else! And let us know what you decide!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure a G6 would be fantastic, considering your posted options, but everyone I've heard from online loves their Axon 7. I might steer you in that direction. The Honor 8 is also fantastic. Last year's flagships should also be an option for you, with not really much if any real dropoff in proformance.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I need a new phone. I have a Galaxy s5 right now with a cracked screen and battery that lasts about 1/2 a day. It's also getting slower and slower even after a complete factory reset.

I want something with a huge screen (5.7inch, fast processor, great camera, fingerprint reader, and long lasting battery)

I can't afford the brand new hottest phones sadly. So here are the ones I could afford.
(I am on ATT but not under contract and could go anywhere).

Any opinions on what to get?

---

Nexus 6P 64GB Unlocked ($180)
LG G6 ($20 per month)
LG V20 ($14 per month)
ZTE Axon 7 ($16 per month)

I am open to other suggestions too.
(can't afford the newest Samsung, Pixel, or IPhone sadly)

With your criteria list, LG G6 or Nexus 6P

thcguy12

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I want the G6 - just worried because they did the skinny body and ratio that it's isn't going to feel or look like a giant screen which is what I really want. Wonder how closely it compares to the S8?

The Nexus 6P seems like a winner - just wish it was waterpoof, had expandable memory, and wasn't a 2015 phone. But I heard it's so good it seems like a 2017 phone. It also scares me that Google is going to stop issuing software updates for the phone after it gets to 7.0 Nougat.

The V20 seems great except they say the battery is one of the worst around (4 hours standby time or something crazy - one of worst of all recent phones). Everything else looks so sick - I have held this one - it's the perfect size. The others I can't seem to get my hand son to hold and touch.

ZTE Axon 7 - not sure.

Also heard I should look into a MATE 8 or MATE 9 -- thoughts?

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
It was Samsung's 2015 Note. Before the Note 7 debacle. They skipped the 6 and went from 5 to 7. Can't really speak on it much, the S8 will be my first Samsung device. If you're looking for a bigger screen, it might for the bill. Otherwise, I might go 6P.

thcguy12

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Okay.

I have a Galaxy S5. I want something that is going to see new and miles beyond what my old phone cal do. Getting a Note from the same year might just end up being a bigger version of my phone.

Hard decisions......ugggh.......just want to be happy since I will be paying it off for at least two years.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
A few years ago a flagship model was the only way to get really good hardware but things have evolved so there are now a lot of options to get very capable phones for a lot less.

But regarding a Note 5, it's a couple of years old but still quite capable, especially depending on what you use your smartphone for.
Note 5 specifications:
Samsung Galaxy Note5 - Full phone specifications
Used Note 5 phones at swappa.com:
https://swappa.com/buy/samsung-galaxy-note-5?ref=mobilenations&data1=UUacUvbUpU5745459

thcguy12

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah - those seems like pretty old processor, etc, etc on the Note 5.

Think I want something that is going to be as good as the new hottest phones but maybe less of brand name (LG, OnePlus, Nexus, Axon, etc).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Think I want something that is going to be as good as the new hottest phones but maybe less of brand name (LG, OnePlus, Nexus, Axon, etc).

The One Plus 3T is a great phone for sure, but I think it's smaller than what you are hoping for - it's 5.5".

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Okay.

I have a Galaxy S5. I want something that is going to see new and miles beyond what my old phone cal do. Getting a Note from the same year might just end up being a bigger version of my phone.

Hard decisions......ugggh.......just want to be happy since I will be paying it off for at least two years.
I forgot you have the S5. I just reacted to the post saying you wanted a bigger form factor.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

If you really want to keep up the image and be able to flash the latest and greatest, your going to have to spend the big bucks.

If you want a nice phone that will give you everything you need and then some you've been given a ton of good suggestions ;-)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean "stay current" exactly?

I know google is going to STOP software updates for it in next 6 months.

The 6P loses the guarantee of major OS updates in 6 months, but that doesn't tell us whether or not there will be further updates. Following that date, it will still be guaranteed monthly security updates for a year after that. This means that it will almost certainly get Android O and it will receive a full year worth of security updates along with that update. It's possible that none of the other phones in the original list will get Android O and it is guaranteed that none of the others will receive monthly security updates even throughout this September, let alone next September.

thcguy12

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh really - that changes things!

Now here is the kicker - which way should I go:

-- I can get a Nexus 6P on Ebay. $288. They say it's new, unlocked. It's from a random bookstore.
-- I can get the Nexus 6P 32GB direct from Google for $16.62 a month (24 months) -- on Project Fi
-- I can get the Nexus 6P 64GB direct from Google for $20 a month (24 months) -- on ProjectFi