For those who've owned a recent stock android phone, how haven non stock phones compared to it.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Pretty power user here. I've never owned a non stock android phone that didnt' give me headaches, and were just slower and less stable despite superior cpu and memory. galaxy s6 felt like a downgrade over the nexus 5 (except for samsung's vastly better camera).

I'm so scared buying a nonstock phone, but stock phone options right now ar ejust hte expensive pixel. No mid range version =(. Scared about one plus 3t due to nonstock.

Any one here who've owned some of the nonstocks like oneplus 3t or others. how does it compare? I know they really minimized the bloat, but I'm once bitten.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Like you, I've used a Nexus 5 and absolutely loved my experience. I went to an LG G3 from there and then to an Honor 8, so I have more experience with non-stock Android than stock. I think one's experiences with stock versus non-stock will vary; depending on variables such as whether or not one is a power user, their specific device model (ie, we could both have a Pixel but mine could be a lemon whereas yours would run as expected), and how much bloatware/apps/data is stored from phone to phone.

However, my G3, though I loved it, didn't seem to be as powerful as my Honor 8. With regards to battery, the Nexus held up well until maybe a year or more. As far as durability went, my Nexus beat out my other two phones. And software, well, I'd say it's a tie between my Honor 8 and Nexus 5. I've liked both experiences.

If you're worried about not enjoying the non-stock experience, you can still pick up a Nexus 6P! Don't think Google will be pushing updates for it soon, but I bet you could find one at a great price that would still deliver the same quality performance.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
6p is still $325 used which is quite hefty considering how old those phones are.

I definitely agree with you. Stock android is great and there are no 'silly' 'features' that either slow the device down or get in the way.

You might have heard about Blackberry's line of Android devices? It's pretty much stock android with a couple minor changes. Plus you get all the latest security patches quickly which is quite nice.

For your price range, the DTEK50 might be an option. You can sometimes pick one up for $229 on sales. 😃

I used to use Samsung and Huawei devices but I just never liked them that much. Everything looked so different and too much 'stuff' was added on. Been very happy with my Blackberry Priv lately

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Most of my favorite phones have been Nexus (5x, 6, 6P) or near stock Android phones (Alcatel idol 3). The LG G2 is probably the only other phone I've really enjoyed. There are other good phones but IMO the overall experience is usually subpar compared to my Nexus phones. Still happy with my 6P. Just got the Pixel swipe down FPS gesture after latest update to my favorite ROM (Dirty Unicorns).

Shouldn't be scared of One Plus 3T just because it's not stock. I know several 6P users that have switched to 3T. I've used the One Plus 3 and ordered the 3T as eventual replacement for 6P. It's not that far off from stock and build quality is great. I plan on flashing Dirty Unicorns which is updated with monthly security patches. The 3T running DU will be like my 6P but with better specs.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Don't the major carriers lock out certain cellular frequencies from unlocked / stock android phones? I could see this being a hidden difference, maybe not in the OS but in the level of service from the carrier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't the major carriers lock out certain cellular frequencies from unlocked / stock android phones? I could see this being a hidden difference, maybe not in the OS but in the level of service from the carrier.
Na they don't. If the phone can support it the network will allow it to connect all the same.

averen09

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
well, im using android one device, and its pure stock, even though i only have 1gb of ram, it is still blazing speed, much faster than my sister in laws galaxy s6 edge.

actually she is wondering how a 1gb ram phone is much faster than a 3gb ram phone...

i just answered her that, pure and stock android is like a pure and genuine medicine.

hehehe, will always love stock ui

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet