Is 2GB Of RAM "Enough?"

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm thinking of acquiring Moto G5 Plus' for my wife and myself. There are two versions: 32GB storage, 2GB RAM and 64GB storage, 4GB RAM. They currently go for $230 and $300, respectively. Not concerned about storage, as they take a µSD card and we have 64GB cards, already.

Neither my wife nor I are "phone power users." My wife especially not. I use my handset for phone, messaging, calendaring, a little bit for browsing, a little bit for email, navigation, encrypted keyring. That's mostly it. My wife uses her for far less than that. So I'm wondering if the 4GB RAM is really all that necessary for us?

We currently have Moto G3s. Mine has 2GB of RAM and works just fine for me. My wife's has 1GB and performs satisfactorily for her.

I wouldn't mind saving $140.

Complicating the decision is that T-Mobile just acquired a metric boat-load of 600MHz spectrum, so we'll probably want to replace these in a year or so, anyway.

Thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A suggestion....get only one device for right now, for your wife. If you think the 2 is going to be fine, get that one. When you receive it, have her test it right away, while keeping an eye out for hiccups and lag. If she doesn't have any, go ahead with the second one for yourself.

If you encounter nay issues during 'testing' you can return it and get the 2 higher RAM phones.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Old Stoneface!

I picked up the 2GB version myself recently from Best Buy as a secondary/back up device. Let me tell you this thing impressed me! To the point of I actually considered dumping my pixel for it (hides from trolls)! Based on your description above this device will more than handle your needs. I really put it through its paces and saw no slowdowns. Is 4GB nice? Sure, but Motorola's optimizations are brilliant. I don't know what they have in the water there, but highly recommended! I've been using on T-Mobile without issue.

As a side note, I've seen many of the reviewers mention the gold is the color to stay away from. According to them, the device looks very cheap and ugly in this color. Don't let me deter you if that is what you wanted, but I figured i'd throw it out there! I do have the black/gray, and I don't think its a bad looking device at all.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is 2GB Of RAM "Enough?"

My wife bought the G5+ 2/32GB to replace her stolen G3. Man, this phone is pretty good, much better than the G3 (she had the 2GB model). Most likely you'd notice a difference when multitasking with RAM hungry apps like Chrome and such. You said that internal storage is not an issue, then maybe those 140$ are a bit too much for just the extra RAM.

I personally would buy one of each, the 4 GB model for me of course :) , but the 2GB model should be enough for a light/medium use. Or you can always use those 140$ for another gadget or some subscription (that would be my wife's way of thinking) :)

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I have similar usage with my LGV10, 4G RAM is overkill for me. I would have no problem switching to a moto G5 plus. My understanding is those phones are very lean and efficient in how they use system resources.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
A suggestion....get only one device for right now, for your wife. If you think the 2 is going to be fine, get that one. When you receive it, have her test it right away, while keeping an eye out for hiccups and lag.
Given her usage, she uses mostly her tablet for everything but a phone: I doubt she'd ever notice any hiccups or lags.

As a side note, I've seen many of the reviewers mention the gold is the color to stay away from. According to them, the device looks very cheap and ugly in this color.
I hadn't seen that, but, I'd likely go for the black/gray, anyway.

What I have seen is criticism of the fake chrome trim--that it both looks fake and scratches easily. But, given the reported relative slipperiness of the case, I expected to order a super-thin "jacket," with texture, for it, anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody! It's sounding like my thoughts, vis-a-vis 2GB vs. 4GB are probably correct.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It looks more slippery than it actually is, I wouldn't worry about that. It feels great on the the hand with a good grip. My wife went for platinum, quite nice.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm thinking of acquiring Moto G5 Plus' for my wife and myself. There are two versions: 32GB storage, 2GB RAM and 64GB storage, 4GB RAM.

Neither my wife nor I are "phone power users." My wife especially not. So I'm wondering if the 4GB RAM is really all that necessary for us?

We currently have Moto G3s. Mine has 2GB of RAM and works just fine for me. My wife's has 1GB and performs satisfactorily for her.

I wouldn't mind saving $140.

we'll probably want to replace these in a year or so, anyway.

Thoughts?

Hello, Thanks for the question :)

I would say YES the 2GB ram version should be fine for your needs, especially if you are only doing simple tasks. Additionally, if you only plan on keeping the device short term (± 1 year) then I wouldn't bother getting the 4GB ram version since that would be a more long term purchase.

Hope this helps a bit.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
A suggestion....get only one device for right now, for your wife. If you think the 2 is going to be fine, get that one. When you receive it, have her test it right away, while keeping an eye out for hiccups and lag. If she doesn't have any, go ahead with the second one for yourself.

If you encounter nay issues during 'testing' you can return it and get the 2 higher RAM phones.
I'd suggest the same.

Get 1, and save up for when replacing them in year's time and get something truly special.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd suggest the same.

Get 1, and save up for when replacing them in year's time and get something truly special.
I will get only one, initially, and see how it works out. If I like it I'll probably get another. Understand: With the G3s we have no Band 12. That means we're roaming on AT&T in much of the state. That means no data. (There's supposed to be data, but, we've rarely gotten it to work.)

As for saving up to get "something truly special": I cannot think of a single "truly special" handset I've seen appear on the market that I truly wanted. The Moto G series phones, except for the G4, have pretty much been everything I've ever needed or wanted in a phone. Same for my wife.

The only improvements they could make to the current Moto G that would be interesting to us would be a return to the case on the 3rd generation G, a better display (not bigger, but better) and a better camera.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I will get only one, initially, and see how it works out. If I like it I'll probably get another. Understand: With the G3s we have no Band 12. That means we're roaming on AT&T in much of the state. That means no data. (There's supposed to be data, but, we've rarely gotten it to work.)

As for saving up to get "something truly special": I cannot think of a single "truly special" handset I've seen appear on the market that I truly wanted. The Moto G series phones, except for the G4, have pretty much been everything I've ever needed or wanted in a phone. Same for my wife.

The only improvements they could make to the current Moto G that would be interesting to us would be a return to the case on the 3rd generation G, a better display (not bigger, but better) and a better camera.
Fair enough.

As for something special I mean something like the Moto Z series, e.g. Moto Z Force

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_z_force-8093.php

It would bring the improvements you want.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
As for something special I mean something like the Moto Z series, e.g. Moto Z Force
Two things: 1. I don't want a phablet. I've experimented. A screen size typical of a ±5" display is the largest I'll go. (Tho, as pointed out to me by Erica Griffin: The S8 gets a nearly 6" screen in the same case size as the small Pixel.) But, secondly: I'm watching the problems early adopters are having with the G5 Plus and Lenovorola's responses. I'm not impressed. I think I may pass on this device, after all.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Two things: 1. I don't want a phablet. I've experimented. A screen size typical of a ±5" display is the largest I'll go. (Tho, as pointed out to me by Erica Griffin: The S8 gets a nearly 6" screen in the same case size as the small Pixel.) But, secondly: I'm watching the problems early adopters are having with the G5 Plus and Lenovorola's responses. I'm not impressed. I think I may pass on this device, after all.

Great input!

Just out of curiosity which issues have you seen from others? The 911 Verizon stuff or are there some additional items? Since I have one I want to be on the lookout! Thanks!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Great input!

Just out of curiosity which issues have you seen from others?
A variety of things. See Moto G5 / Moto G5 Plus at forums.lenovo.com

Bottom line, for me, is after the way Lenovorola did G3 owners wrong I no longer have much trust in them. That's one reason I held off as long as I did. I was actually going to hold off another couple weeks. But, now I'm thinking my decision is made. The "red tint in corners when recording 1080P at 60FPS," and Lenovorola's blow-off (essentially "That the way it is. Too bad.") brought back into very sharp focus why six months ago I'd decided I'd be disinclined to buy Lenovorola again.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
A variety of things. See Moto G5 / Moto G5 Plus at forums.lenovo.com

Bottom line, for me, is after the way Lenovorola did G3 owners wrong I no longer have much trust in them. That's one reason I held off as long as I did. I was actually going to hold off another couple weeks. But, now I'm thinking my decision is made. The "red tint in corners when recording 1080P at 60FPS," and Lenovorola's blow-off (essentially "That the way it is. Too bad.") brought back into very sharp focus why six months ago I'd decided I'd be disinclined to buy Lenovorola again.
Are you thinking of other brands?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Are you thinking of other brands?
If something I like shows up: Yes. Right now there's nothing out there that interests me. Our G3s are still going strong. Biggest problem is lack of Band 12 support. We can get by without that.

The Moto G series occupied a unique niche: Capable devices that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately, Google saw fit to sell Motorola Mobility to a sketchy operation like Lenovo. *shrug*

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
If something I like shows up: Yes. Right now there's nothing out there that interests me. Our G3s are still going strong. Biggest problem is lack of Band 12 support. We can get by without that.

The Moto G series occupied a unique niche: Capable devices that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately, Google saw fit to sell Motorola Mobility to a sketchy operation like Lenovo. *shrug*

It's very odd, we had a small period where both Moto and Sony were making well specced small phones at decent prices, almost at the same time both stopped. It must have proved to be more of a race to the bottom for them, profits were just not coming in from those devices.

We are now seeing a focus on larger screened Chinese phones, with Flagship specs at Mid End Phone prices e.g. OnePlus 3 and 3T, Honor 8, Huawei P10 Plus, ZTE Axon 7 etc...

Even OnePlus once had a more compact device with good specs, the OnePlus X and they have never gone back to make a sequel.

I honestly have no idea what to suggest, as it may have to either be Chinese or something​ more expensive, to get as good of experience as you did with your G3.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I honestly have no idea what to suggest, as it may have to either be Chinese or something​ more expensive, to get as good of experience as you did with your G3.
Lenovo is Chinese. And they're doing to the Moto brand exactly what fans of that brand feared a Chinese company would do to it. As for "more expensive": Yeah... Ain't gonna happen. The money I see people spend on devices with, at most, a two-year lifespan is, to me, appalling. I ain't goin' there. My wife and I didn't get to a point in life where I could retire comfortably by throwing our money away like that.

I haven't completely given up on the G5. Just decided "not now." It may end up being the least undesirable of the choices, by the time I'm forced to make a choice. Or maybe something more attractive will show up.

The thing causing me to consider it now, rather than later, was the need for a Band 12 capable device to help a friend with a coverage survey. I'm acquiring a 3G/4G/LTE modem, instead, which I wanted for Internet connectivity fail-over at home, anyway.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo is Chinese. And they're doing to the Moto brand exactly what fans of that brand feared a Chinese company would do to it. As for "more expensive": Yeah... Ain't gonna happen. The money I see people spend on devices with, at most, a two-year lifespan is, to me, appalling. I ain't goin' there. My wife and I didn't get to a point in life where I could retire comfortably by throwing our money away like that.

I haven't completely given up on the G5. Just decided "not now." It may end up being the least undesirable of the choices, by the time I'm forced to make a choice. Or maybe something more attractive will show up.

The thing causing me to consider it now, rather than later, was the need for a Band 12 capable device to help a friend with a coverage survey. I'm acquiring a 3G/4G/LTE modem, instead, which I wanted for Internet connectivity fail-over at home, anyway.
Have you considered the Honor line? Sure, Huawei is still Chinese, but maybe a better choice than Moto?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Have you considered the Honor line? Sure, Huawei is still Chinese, but maybe a better choice than Moto?
*ick* I'm reading nothing good at all about the UI on Huawei's Honor line.

My wife's Google account was just owned again, yesterday. Long story short: Between the demise of Motorola Mobility, thus there no longer existing any decent affordable Android handsets, and Google/Android being the security disaster it is, my current thinking is we may walk away from Android entirely. All my worst fears about "smart"phones, what kept me away from them for so long in the first place, are coming true.

Thanks for the feedback, everybody! Appreciate it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech