Nougats on 7% of phones, marshmallow on a little more, the rest on lollipop and back,why O already?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Google has barely got nougat out the door, mm is still being rolled out to many phones (and it's still not on that many), the majority of phones are running lollipop or older, and they're bringing out O already?

C'mon man this is ridiculous :-(
Maybe they should show some support for an existing os before pushing out new ones hand over fist. MM never got completed, nougats far from ready to go (especially 7.0), and they're already focusing on yet ANOTHER new os?!?!?

All I can say is screw that. MM's crap, nougat seems to be the same with a few new features most folks will never use, and now we're supposed to get excited about O? That's laughable :-D

Google why don't you try making an os that works WELL before you charge off on a new one.

I'm starting to suspect the Android developers have ADHD.......or else they want to chase us off to iPhones =-O

They're so busy rushing out new Android versions as quick as they can they seem to have decided support, or any polishing/bug fixing of the last os they just rushed out is a waste of time..... even though the last 2 Android versions are on increasingly less and less phones.

This whole system is broken to the point it's hurting us, the end users the most.

We have to deal with unfinished, buggy os' , no fixes coming, and sketchy at best security updates.

Wake up Google before it's too late..... even the mightiest can fall. In fact it happens all the time ;-)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Google has Nougat out for all the device Google will directly support and control updates for. The rest of the ecosystem not being updated is a result of the various OEMs dragging their feet on the update or just choosing not to deploy it. This has NOTHING to do with Google and EVERYTHING to do with the likes of Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. Shoot, many of them can't even do the monthly security updates monthly.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google has been leading the OEM horse to water for several versions now... They've been tweaking how Android is designed to better enable OEMs to get their own versions updated on a regular basis, but they are not going to start holding a gun to their heads to get them to drink.

Google isn't rushing anything out the door. They've been updating Android on a metronome like basis for several years, going back to before the Ice Cream Sandwich days. Major release every fall, point releases and sec updates in the period between. Nexus and Pixel devices, devices that Google controls, get updated quickly.

OEMs have made a few improvements, but overall, they are still failing... and the reason why there is a slow adoption rate is because people have been steadily holding their phones longer and OEMs are still not bothering to keep older devices up to date.

People have been complaining about the 'current' version for ages now... it's never as good as the old version... I've heard this for 7.1, 7.0, 6.0, 5.0, 4.4....

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm starting to suspect the Android developers have ADHD.......

:D

Maybe they should show some support for an existing os before pushing out new ones hand over fist.

Google makes updates and fixes to some old android versions and tries to do better (in their standards) with every new android version. But the system with OEM drivers and OEM changes and optimizations and OEM UIs makes updating effort too big for old (dozens of) devices. Maybe OEMs could use crowdfunding to offer updates to older devices and let users decide if they will be updated to next android version.

If android had been designed with easy updates in mind (separating UI and cellular stack from "general" OS), small (security and other) updates could be pulled from Google to OEMs and built, tested and deployed automatically to devices by OEMs. Because cellular stack would not change, ATT, Verizon etc would have nothing to say with such updates. OEM developers would just check changes and test results.
Or maybe Play Services should contain more of the generic OS or be able to override system modules and services to deliver even better security.

My advice? Stick to what you got (getting updates or not, it'll work well enough when you don't install shady apps) or buy cheap phone with new OS every year :D

--------------

My son has Alcatel 3, which has had MM update in some parts of the world. Not here though, but it works anyway (Youtube, Pokemon Go, browser, majority of games).
My Honor 5C just had final N update. I was part of beta test, but based on performance, I rolled back to MM. I'm hesitant to try N again soon.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was part of beta test, but based on performance, I rolled back to MM. I'm hesitant to try N again soon.

Always be wary of beta releases. One of the last things that developers focus on is stability and power optimization. Features and enhancements are implemented first, then they go back in and clean things up before final release. So things like kernel governor adjustments are left until the end, things that can have a drastic effect on battery usage.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Am still happily using kitkat 😆
Those who like latest OS and quick updates should stick with Pixel/Nexus while people who don't care about updates buy Galaxy, LG, Motorola, Sony, HTC, etc.
I mean you do not get the right to complain about not having the latest OS when you buy a phone being fully aware that any phone not Google branded wil never get timely updates.
And for those unaware, they don't care anyway.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
So Nougat is on 7% of phones, I wonder what % have the latest version of Nougat 7.1.2? I'd bet half of that.

My brand new S8+ is stuck on 7.0 and no signs of that changing.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
It's not Google's responsibility to bring the latest update to every phone. It's up to the OEMs/carrier. Google won't stop advancing their OS because Sprint or Samsung stop updating the S4. That's why I always buy a Google phone.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Not Google's responsibility but imo it is their problem.

On most non-google devices you only enjoy the latest (or close to) OS for a very short period.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not Google's responsibility but imo it is their problem.

Oh, it is definitely their problem... and one they've been trying to address for the last several releases of Android. The way Android is designed now, there is zero excuse for an OEM to not be able to release timely security updates.. for major functional updates, that's a messier situation since OEMs are allowed a lot of customization in the source.. and the more things are customized, the longer it takes OEMs to R&D the changes.

With the theming capabilities of recent versions, even this isn't much of an excuse anymore. A lot of the visual look and feel OEMs like to brand, most of those changes can be surface changes without heavy modifications to Android core... yet many still do it. Let the OS developer develop the OS.... OEMs should just concentrate on adding their stuff rather than replicating what is already in there in the first place. (different rant)

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I do not see it changing in the short-term though. I fully expect my S8+ to still be on Nougat at Christmas whereas pixels and almost every iPhone will be on the latest OS version available.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Am still happily using kitkat
Those who like latest OS and quick updates should stick with Pixel/Nexus while people who don't care about updates buy Galaxy, LG, Motorola, Sony, HTC, etc.
I mean you do not get the right to complain about not having the latest OS when you buy a phone being fully aware that any phone not Google branded wil never get timely updates.
And for those unaware, they don't care anyway.

Kit Kat is the sweet spot for my use, I had an xperia z3 tablet that had marshmallow; other than the visual differences and some minor software adjustments I saw not much gain on MM than Kit Kat.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Google and oem say they can't provide long term update like Apple because SoC makers like Qualcomm drop support for the chipset soon.
But if tomorrow Qualcomm started supporting every chipset for 5 years do you really think oem and Google will provide 5 years of updates?
No they won't. They will find something else to blame.
They will find any and every reason to not update their phone even if those reasons make no sense.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So Nougat is on 7% of phones, I wonder what % have the latest version of Nougat 7.1.2? I'd bet half of that.

My brand new S8+ is stuck on 7.0 and no signs of that changing.
Yep!

Even LG who were the 1st to bring a Nougat phone out-the-box (LG V20) are still rolling with 7.0 on the V20 and the latest G6.

Is it just me or has the Updates situation worsened in the last 12months amongst OEMS!?

There was a period where it seemed as though it was being improved, between KitKat and Marshmallow, but here we are again, it feels like we are back in the early days of Android again.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Oh, it is definitely their problem...
OK but hat's more opinion than factual. Google doesn't charge a fee to use Android, so essentially it has no direct responsibility to correct how badly the OEMs and carriers push out updates and upgrades to their respective customers. There's clearly a major problem with the whole mess, but the manufacturers and the carriers are the ones how did take on the responsibility of update/upgrades, and they're also the ones we as consumers pay money to for their products and services.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Android O is an incremental upgrade. So all devices that are capable of running nougat should also receive O but we know that won't happen because they need to sell new devices with latest OS.

Paul Shipman

May 24, 2017
Visit site
That's not Googles faults its good that they are providing such faster updates with its manufacturer fault that they are not providing updates they want customers to drop their old phones and chose new thats why old phones are getting discard by users and manifactures does't wasing their money for developing firmware for old phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08