Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Default Tethering apps being blocked from the market?

Has anyone seen this story?

Is Wireless Tether About to Get the Android Axe? Carriers Finally Starting to Block it? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I don't tether so I don't know if it's true or not but if it is it's a sad day indeed. I hope this isn't the next step towards cracking down on all root users, even those who don't tether, but I have a sinking feeling that it is.

EDIT-Apparently Sprint users can still download the apps but Verizon, AT&T and T-mobile are all blocking.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

Default It's true.

I'm so frustrated.

You can still download them directly from the developers websites. They can't block it all.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Rooted

Fast Speed 1Gbps Fiber optic Downloads. PM For more info
    PM for Passwords and Instructions (Included the Device you need help with)
    S4 Root/Restore Files - www.247xtreme.com/S4
    S3 Root/Restore Files - www.247xtreme.com/S3

Home Internet

4G LTE

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Anyone know if they can be sideloaded, or do you have to be rooted?

You can side load them but some require root to function such as wireless tether.

Home Internet

4G LTE

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

ATT users are never going to be able to sideload now.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Quote Originally Posted by Jalarm View Post
    ATT users are never going to be able to sideload now.
    Wouldn't that violate Google TOS?

Home Internet

4G LTE

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by DD917 View Post
    Actually, no. I saw an app in Amazon Appstore. EasyTether. Although it's only a wired solution and appears to only work on PCs and laptops. It's promising though, maybe it will eventually be updated to work with tablets.

I called Verizon and they are not trying to stop tethering, but they are controlling how it is done. Smartphones have an unlimited data plan, but Verizon feels that you need a separate data plan for tethering other devices. The current "tethering" data plan is $20 for 2G. The rep told me that they will be coming out with other options since the current unlimited Mobile Hotspot promotion is ending on May 15th.

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    ROM
    das BAMF 1.8.6 NTE

Another option/payment scheme, that is; I'm sure. I would still rather avoid an additional charge just because I decided to use a different device to enjoy the unlimited plan I'm already paying for. Maybe if they allowed internet access however users choose; allowing, say, 1Gb data maximum monthly with additional charges incurred if exceeding bracketed data amounts. idk...

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by EisBlade View Post
    Maybe if they allowed internet access however users choose; allowing, say, 1Gb data maximum monthly with additional charges incurred if exceeding bracketed data amounts. idk...
    Then that wouldn't be unlimited, which is what I'm paying for. Plus 1GB is way too low, just as I think their limited data plans are. On a light day I use around 100MB, according to my Elixer app. If AT&T changed their tiered plans from 200MB & 2GB to maybe 1GB and 10GB then they wouldn't be getting so much flack about it. Their plans haven't evolved along with the technology.

The rep at Verizon told me that the data plans are tied to devices, with the exception of WiFi hotspots devices that allow you to daisy chain five devices. What he really means is that you can tether with anything but your phone. Before getting my Thunderbolt, I had a USB modem for my laptop and shared the connection with my other devices through a wireless router. I did that for a year without Verizon complaining. I asked him about that and his only answer is that Verizon will be coming out with new data plans before May 15th to address smartphone users concerns.

The part that I don't understand is that my phone plan is unlimited. It shouldn't matter if I tether, since my phone works exactly like a their WiFi hotspot device. Oh well, we will see what plans they come out with.