Android is still too fragmented

gino_76ph

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have had several Android devices in the past year and even though its really good with customisations and multitasking the overall performance of the OS is still not as good as Apple's.

The updates come very often, there are too many devices with different specs and no dedicated and a "separate" (i.e. differenciation) apps and/or games for smartphones and tablets unlike Apple's. That is why maybe they see Android is still fragmented on these issues.

The 3.0 OS and Android Market is good but is still miles from Apple. so, that is why i have decided i will buy an iPad 2 on my next salary.

But what can we do about it to match if not better iOS?

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
ok have fun

the ipad has been out for a year the first real tablet apps for android have been out for a few months?

yes android is fragmented i think google needs to impose the fact of making everything run vanilla and have the skins such as sense/blur/TW should be just launchers like launcher pro and be able to be removed and turned off so they do not affect updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: tropper

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Google absolutely has to do something about fragmentation and, all you Sense fans are going to hate me for this, I think that means doing away with the manufacturer custom UI's as they slow updates to a crawl. In my perfect world all Android devices would be running pure vanilla AOSP Android and updated would be downloaded directly from Google. But that's just my opinion.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Google absolutely has to do something about fragmentation and, all you Sense fans are going to hate me for this, I think that means doing away with the manufacturer custom UI's as they slow updates to a crawl. In my perfect world all Android devices would be running pure vanilla AOSP Android and updated would be downloaded directly from Google. But that's just my opinion.

i couldnt agree more!!!!

SlickMoney

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I think they should do something similar to Microsoft. Only allow for a custom widget or small part of the OS, but the overall has to stay stock. This way updates could be pushed to all devices in a timely manner.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think they should do something similar to Microsoft. Only allow for a custom widget or small part of the OS, but the overall has to stay stock. This way updates could be pushed to all devices in a timely manner.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. That way the manufactures can do something to differentiate they're products from they're competitors and still deliver the pure Google experience and deliver timely updates.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

I totally agree with this and think it definitely will happen in the future. The other day, I counted 130 Android smartphone devices across all the different carriers. This in little over a year of the Android system being available for smartphones! There is no way this kind of proliferation can continue with each carrier &/or phone placing individualized demands on the Google OS, not to mention the devs and their oh-so-valuable apps.

If you think back to the early days of PC computers (as compared *again* to Macs), each manufacturer had its own completely different operating system. If you changed computer brands, you had to learn a TOTALLY different operating system. It was that way for a number of years ... until Microsoft's Windows arrived to directly compete with Macs... and stayed.

I think something similar HAS to happen with smartphones and tablets to create some form of uniformity so advances and updates can take place in a timely manner. :)

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I have had several Android devices in the past year and even though its really good with customisations and multitasking the overall performance of the OS is still not as good as Apple's.

The updates come very often, there are too many devices with different specs and no dedicated and a "separate" (i.e. differenciation) apps and/or games for smartphones and tablets unlike Apple's. That is why maybe they see Android is still fragmented on these issues.

The 3.0 OS and Android Market is good but is still miles from Apple. so, that is why i have decided i will buy an iPad 2 on my next salary.

But what can we do about it to match if not better iOS?

Have fun with your Failpad 2. lol. I've always hated apple and always will. Different specs are good though. With whomever that has Ipods/ipads, you're like.."Oh, I have that same device, same processor. I can do the same things." But with android, you have so many ROMS and apps, even different processors. I don't know about you, but I like having different specs,hardware than everyone else. Open source is better too. Something in which apple FAILS at. What's with them and the not being able to take batteries out of anything?

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Truthfully it is the fragmentation that has been the reason Android has rose so fast. Everyone has been on the quest for the new better, buying more than one phone, with newer hardware. I do agree that it would be great that we all get the updates at the same time but realistiaclly that still wouldn't happen, they still have to go through VZW, sprint, tmo, an att before they get pushed out and even then they would have to deal with hardware limitations. Which if that was the case then we all might as well be on apples side.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz