Tbolt and Atrix won't get Gingerbread

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of ppl are thinking about getting a new phone but I just wanna remind ppl that VERY few phones got Froyo after launch (some are still waiting) and my guess is that since Ice Cream is about 4-5 months away there is lil chance for an update before the next version. I also have never seen a non Droid/Nexus phone get 2 OS updates so Ice Cream is outta the picture too

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of ppl are thinking about getting a new phone but I just wanna remind ppl that VERY few phones got Froyo after launch (some are still waiting) and my guess is that since Ice Cream is about 4-5 months away there is lil chance for an update before the next version. I also have never seen a non Droid/Nexus phone get 2 OS updates so Ice Cream is outta the picture too

Uh. No. You're wrong. The Atrix and Bolt will both get gingerbread.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Wrong: Droid X is scheduled to receive "Gingerbread" in the next few days (rumor is the 13th). I am sure the Tbolt and Atrix will also receive it since they are newer phones.

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Wrong: Droid X is scheduled to receive "Gingerbread" in the next few days (rumor is the 13th). I am sure the Tbolt and Atrix will also receive it since they are newer phones.

I'm talking specifically about the Tbolt and Atrix.

Consider the reality that the biggest Android OEM (Samsung) is still trying to release Froyo on some of its US phones even 9 months after the release of the OS.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Consider the reality that the biggest Android OEM (Samsung) is still trying to release Froyo on some of its US phones even 9 months after the release of the OS.
You really can't use Samsung as a measuring stick. Samsung has always been known as being the worst for OS updates.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

This post is full of assumption, opinion and misinformation.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Samsung sucks at updating. You're here, so you should know that.

The Atrix will get Gingerbread, and probably ICS too. The thunderbolt will definitely get gingerbread, but who knows about ICS.

LesMiserables

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

You can't really assume anything from Samsung. My little Aria (stock, non-root) has been upgraded to Froyo.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
plus even if we see ice cream sandwich in november only the nexus series will see it on time so yes the atrix and bolt will def. see gingerbread.

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I am speculating based on update history, OEM history and the OS release timeline.

The G1 was a pure Google phone and it soon reached end of life after a few months. (Atrix and Tbolt are already old in Android years)

Phones with special UIs almost never get updates.

Ice Cream is coming in a few short months and it wouldn't make sense to update to Gingerbread a month before another release.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I am speculating based on update history, OEM history and the OS release timeline.

The G1 was a pure Google phone and it soon reached end of life after a few months. (Atrix and Tbolt are already old in Android years)

Phones with special UIs almost never get updates.

Ice Cream is coming in a few short months and it wouldn't make sense to update to Gingerbread a month before another release.

You don't know what you're talking about. At all.

Using the G1 as a comparison is ridiculous. It got updates up until the hardware was no longer capable of running the newest version.

The Atrix is future-proofed hardware: 1GB of ram and a dual core processor. It could theoretically get updates for the entire two years that someone owns it and be just fine.

The Bolt is a little more iffy, but again, its future-proofed to an extent. It will get gingerbread, and may get ice cream sandwich. But it will DEFINITELY get gingerbread.

So...unless you have any real proof of this, you should stop posting. Because you really don't know what you're talking about.

Reactions: ross.lafferty

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy the argument that OSes are as hardware dependent as the OEMs are making it out to be. For example, the BN Nook runs Honeycomb pretty smoothly and it's on some really old hardware.

Hardware doesn't get updated cuz OEMs want you to buy the newest and greatest phone.

My advice is just to wait for the Ice Cream phones cuz the current crop is in a weird transition period like all the phones that came out with 2.1 (What percentage of those got Froyo?)

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I don't buy the argument that OSes are as hardware dependent as the OEMs are making it out to be. For example, the BN Nook runs Honeycomb pretty smoothly and it's on some really old hardware.

Hardware doesn't get updated cuz OEMs want you to buy the newest and greatest phone.

My advice is just to wait for the Ice Cream phones cuz the current crop is in a weird transition period like all the phones that came out with 2.1 (What percentage of those got Froyo?)

most of the high end devices that came out with 2.1 recieved 2.2 :incredible,droid x, galaxy s(although it took forever), evo 4g, desire hd, and others.

you are right yes most manufacturers would rather users buy new devices instead of upgrading,

but to the atrix is obsolete, by what standards? it has a dual core Tegra 2 processor has 1gb of ram no other phones have more. So how is it obsolete?

you can argue the thunderbolt is just a vzw evo with lte and you would be right still not obsolete it is older technology yes but still can handle gingerbread since the nexus s is no better spec wise, or the nexus one for that matter.

Hopefully that new google coalition with the manufacturers and carriers is effective soon because then it guarantees updates for 18 months.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
This thread is just catagorically wrong, and alarmist to boot. HTC reps have already told customers that the Tbolt will get Gingerbread around June, and Motorola has already stated that the Atrix will get Gingerbread (although with no timeline).

Given that the Droid X is getting Gingerbread almost a year after release I can't imagine the Atrix won't see Ice Cream Sandwich (I expect the Tbolt to as well, unless there's a dual core requirement...which I doubt).

This thread is pure FUD and should be locked IMO.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

LOL post proof or GTFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol