Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default How Can I Respond to Snobby Apple Fanboys About the Security Hole?

So I've already been attacked about these new security problems by some Apple fanboys and just all around Android haters. How can I respond to them?

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM

Quote Originally Posted by scnix View Post
    So I've already been attacked about these new security problems by some Apple fanboys and just all around Android haters. How can I respond to them?
    Just ignore them, seriously. Having been in countless discussions over multiple products with fanboys its just not worth it.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankspin View Post
    Just ignore them, seriously. Having been in countless discussions over multiple products with fanboys its just not worth it.
    This is so true it's not even funny. Thing is I don't really care what apple is doing with the iphone, I love my macbook pro, I might get another ipad, but the iphone simply doesn't interest me, yet i've been given the most ridiculous of arguments why they are better than my htc evo it's not worth going into discussions.

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM

Quote Originally Posted by SenenCito View Post
    This is so true it's not even funny. Thing is I don't really care what apple is doing with the iphone, I love my macbook pro, I might get another ipad, but the iphone simply doesn't interest me, yet i've been given the most ridiculous of arguments why they are better than my htc evo it's not worth going into discussions.
    My statement was meant to be applied to any company,product,software,etc and not just Apple. It's just not worth the energy to engage in the discussion because it will be a no win situation for all parties involved.

To me, the better person is the one who can acknowledge the benefits of a product/company despite being a fan of something else.

ROM
    Stock/ ICS Rooted

If you are looking for a toy that is limited in it's capabilities and are not technical at all then the Iphone is a better device. If you want something that can do what you want it to and be able to customize it as you wish then you ant Android. Your Evo is a much better device. Security holes? Which ones are hey speaking of?

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankspin View Post
    My statement was meant to be applied to any company,product,software,etc and not just Apple. It's just not worth the energy to engage in the discussion because it will be a no win situation for all parties involved.

To me, the better person is the one who can acknowledge the benefits of a product/company despite being a fan of something else.
    Well yeah true , it just seems Iget these messages from self proclaimed apple fans.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Just show them this video. Sometimes you have to show people what they sound like.

Global Posts
    10,525 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Ignore em. They are right, android dropped a total dough! We loose this round.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

You can now tell them Google is pushing out a patch as we speak to fix issue.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...ejacking-issue

Global Posts
    7,317 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    You can now tell them Google is pushing out a patch as we speak to fix issue.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google...ejacking-issue
    I was about to suggest the same thing! It took Apple how long to release a patch once the gps issue was known? And how long did it take Google to release a patch after the issue was made public?

I'm not sure how long Google knew about the issue, but seems to be damn good for an update.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

i can haz fail?
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I was about to suggest the same thing! It took Apple how long to release a patch once the gps issue was known? And how long did it take Google to release a patch after the issue was made public?

I'm not sure how long Google knew about the issue, but seems to be damn good for an update.
    There's a difference between issuing a fix on your servers and issuing a fix to several million handsets. A better comparison would be the SMS issue with Android and the location issue.

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Did they ever fix the iPhone security issue where they showed hackers could access all private information on the device in less than six minutes? Hackers could jailbreak an iPhone (even when locked) and bypass all security.

How long did it take Apple to acknowledge and fix the ability to take over a jailbroken phone with an SMS message?
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

Use this. I shut one of my iphone toting friends up about that with this.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/...red/index.html

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    Use this. I shut one of my iphone toting friends up about that with this.

Hacking competition leaves Android, Windows Phone 7 undefeated - CNN.com

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Not a good story to use:

"The survival of a target at Pwn2Own does not automatically declare it safer than a target that went down," last year's Internet Explorer Pwn2Own winner Peter Vreugdenhil cautions. The contestants who were lined up to beat the Android and WP7 devices in the competition withdrew for a variety of reasons.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Did they ever fix the iPhone security issue where they showed hackers could access all private information on the device in less than six minutes? Hackers could jailbreak an iPhone (even when locked) and bypass all security.

How long did it take Apple to acknowledge and fix the ability to take over a jailbroken phone with an SMS message?
    Yes to all of the above. Your last one though is perhaps one of the weakest arguments against iOS I've yet heard though. A jailbroken device, by its very nature is compromised. It is not Apple's job to fix security on a device that has already been compromised by the user.

iPhone. So simple that even an ***** can use it. So lock down only an ***** can enjoy it.

I say ingore the fanboys as they do not know anything. This goes double for Apple fanboys who I have found of the major fanboys to be the worse at understanding anything technological. They just repeat what ever their church (Apple) or God (Steve Jobs) says no matter if it is true or not. They are complete worthless when it comes to getting any real help on any matters with techology. This goes double if it is an Apple product as their response is "Call Apple care"
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    iPhone. So simple that even an ***** can use it. So lock down only an ***** can enjoy it.

I say ingore the fanboys as they do not know anything. This goes double for Apple fanboys who I have found of the major fanboys to be the worse at understanding anything technological. They just repeat what ever their church (Apple) or God (Steve Jobs) says no matter if it is true or not. They are complete worthless when it comes to getting any real help on any matters with techology. This goes double if it is an Apple product as their response is "Call Apple care"
    Using sweeping generalizations about people isn't a good strategy. If it was, every person that uses Android would be a pimple-faced, celibate nerd.

Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    ROM
    Droid Inc JB 4.1.1

Snobby people don't deserve your time, regardless of device.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

My first reaction is to ignore them. But if they continue just say that the security hole is already being addressed by Google and did not deny it or sweep it under the rug. Unlike Apple who will likely just blame the end user or say it is an industry wide problem (look at their reaction to "antenagate").
    Rooting comes with great power & great responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    Using sweeping generalizations about people isn't a good strategy. If it was, every person that uses Android would be a pimple-faced, celibate nerd.
    well true about the generalizations but the part about Apple Fanboys I find tends to be pretty true.

Over all I go with ignore the Fanboys because fanboys are idiots no matter what they are a fanboy of.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Timelessblur View Post
    well true about the generalizations but the part about Apple Fanboys I find tends to be pretty true.

Over all I go with ignore the Fanboys because fanboys are idiots no matter what they are a fanboy of.
    There are some generalizations that are true for each. But certainly not all. I've met some really big geeks that choose iPhones because they want the vertical integration with iTunes, fully knowing that it isn't as good as Android in some areas.

I agree about fanboys though. People always think I'm one for iOS, but I will never own another iOS phone because it doesn't do what I want. I have an iPod Touch and an iPad, but I also have a G2x. I like iOS for media consumption, but Android for day to day phone use.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    There are some generalizations that are true for each. But certainly not all. I've met some really big geeks that choose iPhones because they want the vertical integration with iTunes, fully knowing that it isn't as good as Android in some areas.

I agree about fanboys though. People always think I'm one for iOS, but I will never own another iOS phone because it doesn't do what I want. I have an iPod Touch and an iPad, but I also have a G2x. I like iOS for media consumption, but Android for day to day phone use.
    Oh I should of made it clear those generalization about the iPhone users I made even I do not believe them but I always find they are funny to use to poke at the Apple fanboys. Hell I think iOS does somethings really well but for me personally it not something I have any interested in for a phone. THe only time I ever even throw them back at them is when the fanboys start it. It always nice to have some very simple things to throw back at them.

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

I would simply ignore them. The fact that they are attacking you shows they are weak, insecure, have issues of their own, wanting to desperately prove that their purchase was better than yours. I already had a personal dislike of Apple and the iPhone beforehand, but its been magnified working as tech support at VZW. As said before, sweeping generalizations are typically inaccurate.

But so far in my experience, the iPhone customers I help tend to be more arrogant, rude, rushed, impatient than their Android counterparts. They'll blame me if iTunes botches the firmware on their precious iPhone during a failed update. They'll blame me if they have issues with DRM on iTunes. One was a customer with us since 1993 and he wanted to leave simply because ATT had a better price on the iPhone (mind you, it was $49 for a 3GS model). I can't believe someone would leave after 18 years with a company because of this, but this is the "god" phone we are talking about here, it does crazy things to people!
    Last edited by nerdydesi; 05-22-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Ask them how they like every move they make being secretly tracked by Apple?

Report: iPhones secretly track their users' locations - CNN
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast