1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Verizon Phone Rep: Unlimited Data Staying

Mods: Pleas move if this is in the wrong forum.

Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep, and asked her specifically about the coming end of unlimited data plans. According to her, "there is nothing in the works right now" to end unlimited data plans. She then stated that the expected customer backlash makes it unlikely that unlimited data plans will end.

Now as we all know, talking to one rep is not indicative of actual long term company strategy, but I thought I would share.
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.

Global Posts
    6,760 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Thank for sharing. It's hard to guess company policy in the future. It would be nice to keep unlimited plans but we all know that the infrastructure is key and if it's being jeopardize it will be addressed in some way.

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

Currently, there is no mention of unlimited data ending on our intranet here also, with me currently here at work in VZW tech support, we're using the same system in all call centers. Also no mention of the Surge, which was mentioned in another thread as a rumored device to come to Verizon.
    Thanked by:

Honestly, even if Verizon does move to tiered pricing I expect it to be for 4g data (not 3g). Of course eventually 3g will get phased out and then everyone will have to move to 4g, but at some point the bandwidth of the LTE network won't be as limiting and competition will help favor prices either going down, or a return to all you can eat.
    Thanked by:
    Droid Monster

Global Posts
    748 Global Posts

lol if people believe this. but we shall see
    Live long, Rock hard
    Best in the World

I really hope unlimited data stays, because if I where to go over the data usage with my plan, than it would not be good.

I have an honest question to this thread. I am a newbie to Android Central. So new, in fact, that I don't even own an Android device at this point. My problem is in deciding what would be the most cost effective. I am currently on a family plan with three phones, none of which are smart phones. If I switched it would cost me another $30 a month which equates to a total of an additional $360 a year. This would be a total of about $780 a year for me alone on this contract. Now, granted, this is unlimited data- or at least up to 5GB, which is probably no-where near where what I would use. I plan to use my phone for talking, texting, streaming music like an ipod type device, and playing around with an app or two daily- maybe checking facebook or whatever. I can honestly say I have no idea how much data usage that would even be. Is it worth it to buy a phone now just to lock in the unlimited data? Or as I'm already on a family plan and they may work out some sort of family data plan wait for that since at that point my boyfriend would probably upgrade also. Please help with any comments you may have, or feel free to move this elsewhere if this thread deserves to be someplace else. I appreciate everyone's help.

Quote Originally Posted by orchidsbloom View Post
    I have an honest question to this thread. I am a newbie to Android Central. So new, in fact, that I don't even own an Android device at this point. My problem is in deciding what would be the most cost effective. I am currently on a family plan with three phones, none of which are smart phones. If I switched it would cost me another $30 a month which equates to a total of an additional $360 a year. This would be a total of about $780 a year for me alone on this contract. Now, granted, this is unlimited data- or at least up to 5GB, which is probably no-where near where what I would use. I plan to use my phone for talking, texting, streaming music like an ipod type device, and playing around with an app or two daily- maybe checking facebook or whatever. I can honestly say I have no idea how much data usage that would even be. Is it worth it to buy a phone now just to lock in the unlimited data? Or as I'm already on a family plan and they may work out some sort of family data plan wait for that since at that point my boyfriend would probably upgrade also. Please help with any comments you may have, or feel free to move this elsewhere if this thread deserves to be someplace else. I appreciate everyone's help.

I forgot to state that I am with VZW and don't plan on changing to another network.

Global Posts
    4,848 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Given the fact the the Verizon Wireless CFO Shamo (the whale) has clearly stated unlimited data is going away and tiered is coming this summer with family plans for data being considered down the road. Its all but a given. The question is how does this affect existing data plans? Will they just set a date and require everyone to go tiered, will they put you in a tiered plan once your current contract ends? Its all a big game of wait and see. If Verizon was smart, family plans should be part of tiered launch that would soften the impact. I personally wouldn't mind family plans since I have two EVDO Modem and a smartphone.

ROM
    Depends on my mood ^^

All I can hope for is that I can stay grandfathered into unlimited 3G/4G as long as I buy future phones off-contract. If I am forced to move onto tiered data, I would move back to Sprint, despite Wimax being inferior to LTE in raw speed and building coverage in my experience (I'd lose signal with Wimax in my garage but not LTE). Tiered data would not make it worth it for me. Unlimited Wimax definitely wins out over tiered LTE for me.
    Last edited by nerdydesi; 05-22-2011 at 01:35 PM.

ROM
    Stock,Stock,Stock

Quote Originally Posted by orchidsbloom View Post
    You say you don't really think you'll be using a lot of data except with what you already mentioned, but as soon as you get whatever smartphone you get, I mean you're on and Android forum so smartphone is safe to assume, you WILL use more data whether you believe it or not. As soon as you get going with apps and you find smaller less know developers that make awesome apps, you'll downloading more and more of them. You said you plan on streaming music, Pandora like, well they use your network, which is your data(unless you're at home on wifi).

I bought my Dinc2 instead of waiting until I came home(deployed to Iraq right now) because I knew I would be using it like crazy and tiered data plans are not going to cut it for me. I'm trying to get our(wife and I) lines merged into a family plan like in a few days so we can keep our unlimited data before they start the tiered data for family plans(she has a Dinc2 as well).

It may cost you more money each month, but it's the "peace of mind" knowing that you will never go over your data.

There are other ways of saying $$ once you do get a smartphone. If you use google voice, you get free sms without the need of a sms plan from VZW. I don't plan on getting one since I have a GV number. I have the cheapest plan($39.99) with unlimited data(duh) and no text plan at all.

Just my .02 cents.

Sprint might have a "better" plan, but what good is a "better" plan when you can't get a signal.
    Thanked by:

I have been with Verizon for years. Way back when it was known as Airtouch. I have never considered leaving them. I have unlimited data and my eyes are open to other options .

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Galaxy nexus!

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 2.3.4

I just hope they don't change it soon

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts

reps are only pawns. when the information from the top changes, so does what the rep says.

I want to move to VZW once a new phone that sparks my attention comes out. If they go to a tiered plan prior to one that I like I will just stay with Sprint. I'm pretty happy with Sprint, but there is no 4G in my area (San Diego) the 8th largest city in America. I've been pretty patient, but VZW has LTE here now and its faster than my Uverse at home. It will cost me $13 more a month under the current pricing and I use on average of 3 to 4gb a month on Sprint right now. I would probably use more if I could surf at faster speeds.

I have a Verizon Netbook that was grandfathered for unlimited data from my Alltel air-card. When my wife got our 2 for 1 Droid deal 2 years ago the Rep. wanted to switch my Netbook to 5GB, but I pitched a fit seeing as how I'd already used 10GB that month watching TV shows and Netflix:-) My wife told him I'd really use bandwidth if I could find NASCAR races on line:-)

im glad its staying

Quote Originally Posted by lembowski View Post
    I want to move to VZW once a new phone that sparks my attention comes out. If they go to a tiered plan prior to one that I like I will just stay with Sprint. I'm pretty happy with Sprint, but there is no 4G in my area (San Diego) the 8th largest city in America. I've been pretty patient, but VZW has LTE here now and its faster than my Uverse at home. It will cost me $13 more a month under the current pricing and I use on average of 3 to 4gb a month on Sprint right now. I would probably use more if I could surf at faster speeds.
    Sprint is working on 4G San Diego. I had 4G in La Jolla the other day (UTC). Look at the green areas on this map, those areas have it so far >>>
    S-l-o-w-l-y they are rollin it out ...