Why Are There No Andoid Phones To Rival The Pixel Density Of iPhone 4?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
What's up with this? I'm no Apple fan and I love my HTC Incredible (though I am probably planning to switch to the Samsung Galaxy S II when it comes out in the US) but I find it odd and disconcerting that we seem to have nothing to rival the 326 PPI density of the iPhone 4. I have to be honest here. In terms of pure screen clarity, there's nothing I've ever seen to rival the iPhone 4.

I stay with android for any number of other reasons.

When will we get screens that equal or better the iPhone 4?

keatonandrew

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I seem to recall apple being quite behind in this for a long time themselves....

while the PPI don't match up because of screen size differences, the iphone 4 has only 100,000 more pixels than the droid X2. I mean, really, once you get to a certain point it really becomes meaningless to improve the resolution.

I'd rather have the SAMOLED+ screen that my phone has over the iphone 4/higher resolution.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I seem to recall apple being quite behind in this for a long time themselves....

while the PPI don't match up because of screen size differences, the iphone 4 has only 100,000 more pixels than the droid X2. I mean, really, once you get to a certain point it really becomes meaningless to improve the resolution.

I'd rather have the SAMOLED+ screen that my phone has over the iphone 4/higher resolution.

The 4 has 100,000 more pixels than the X2 on a screen that's almost an inch smaller. That's a pretty big difference.

The higher resolution does make a big difference, and I'd take it over a technology like SAMOLED+ any day of the week. Pixel density isn't everything, but it definitely does make a difference, and when you don't have it, (after having it for a while) every other screen looks mediocre.

The problem is that its really difficult to manufacture high density screens that are of bigger size. They're getting there, but not quite yet.

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And try comparing the Droid Charge super amoled plus to a retina. I think you will be impressed.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Cozmosis

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Because the emphasis is, rightly so, on increasing screen size first and pixel density second. The iPhone 4's sharp screen is impressive, but it still doesn't help you get anything done with that 3.5" tiny screen. It would be cost prohibitive to try to slam that many pixels into a bigger display.

Any of the new SAMOLED and SLCD screens look very sharp, and only look worse comparatively next to the text of the iPhone.

I will happily take both when such technology is available :)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm all for bigger, sharper screens. That's why I got a 1080p TV instead of a cheaper 720p.

Bring on the 4.5" 350PPI SAMOLED+++++++

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, Apple usually tries to lock down the market on items like this when they decide to make them a selling point. By buying up the entire stock of "retina displays" at that size it makes it impractical for another company to use the same component. Using a similar pixel density at a larger screen size is not only quite a bit more expensive, but remember that it also impacts GPU performance. At 326 dpi a 4.3" screen would be approximately 1232 x 962, which would be quite a bit more pixels to push than the newfangled qHD screens that are 960 x 540. More pixels to push means more work for the GPU and worse performance with games and such.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Pixel density is important to a certain extent. All I know is that as long as my next phone (SII <3) doesn't have a 4.3 inch screen at 480 x 320, I'm happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc