Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android smartphone as main computing/browsing

Anyone else use their Android smartphone as their main web browser or for everyday tasks that they used to use their computers for? I'm starting to find less reasons to pull out my laptop everyday. I use my phone for every thing. I was thinking about getting a Chromebook, but I was worried that I wouldn't use it.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I would say I use it close to the same amount of time. I find myself grabbing the phone while at home because it's easier to move around as opposed to moving the laptop.
    Banned

Global Posts
    17,409 Global Posts

I use it in place of a computer. I don't own one. The only thing I need a computer for is to load .gpx files onto my GPS.

I'm thinking of getting a Bluetooth printer for my Android.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

No, my phone hasn't replaced my computer. It hasn't come close to replacing my computer. I still prefer my monitor's nice big screen, I prefer a keyboard and mouse over a touch screen, and until an Android device can play Fallout 3 on the highest possible graphical setting my phone will never replace my computer for gaming.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

I don't use our desktop or laptop at all anymore. Especially now that I have our entire music library uploaded to Google Music, I use my phone for everything. I suppose I will when I am ripping a new CD onto the hard drive so it can be uploaded to the Google server, but it hasn't happed yet.

By the time our laptop boots up, I could have already found what I am looking for on my phone.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble

-----------------------------------------
    Droid X (Liberty 3 v2.0)
    Droid Incredible (CM 7.2.0 RC1)
    Nook Color w/ 8GB N2A card
    -----------------------------------------

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

I have a desktop at work, at home, a laptop at home, a tablet at home, and a smartphone. Ranking them in order of usage:

1. Work desktop
    2. Home tablet (Xoom)
    3. Smartphone (Atrix)
    4. Home desktop
    5. Home laptop

Prior to getting the tablet, the home desktop would've been number 2. Why would I prefer to use a 4" screen when I can use a 24" screen? I use my smartphone only when I have to.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

[QUOTE=Major;969348]I have a desktop at work, at home, a laptop at home, a tablet at home, and a smartphone. Ranking them in order of usage:

1. Work desktop
    2. Home tablet (Xoom)
    3. Smartphone (Atrix)
    4. Home desktop
    5. Home laptop

Prior to getting the tablet, the home desktop would've been number 2. Why would I prefer to use a 4" screen when I can use a 24" screen? I use my smartphone only when I have to.[/QUOTE

Wow, you have a lot of gadgets. I only use my work laptop to check email, which I really don't need to do. All of my web browsing needs can be done through my phone. Plus, I prefer mobile sites to full ones.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    I have a desktop at work, at home, a laptop at home, a tablet at home, and a smartphone. Ranking them in order of usage:

1. Work desktop
    2. Home tablet (Xoom)
    3. Smartphone (Atrix)
    4. Home desktop
    5. Home laptop

Prior to getting the tablet, the home desktop would've been number 2. Why would I prefer to use a 4" screen when I can use a 24" screen? I use my smartphone only when I have to.
    I don't have a tablet (I guess I just don't see the point of tablets, my phone does all my mobile computing and does it well. I don't want or need another device) but I agree with your point. Why would I restrict myself to my phone's 3.7 inch screen when I have a nice 19 inch monitor?

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.
    Rooted Droid Incredible
    +CM7
    +MIUI Camrea
    +ADW Launcher EX
    +Launcher2
    +Vignette
    +Synergy Theme
    +Blue Gingerbread ADW Theme
    +Nexus One Boot Animation
    +Widgets. Lots of widgets.
    =Pure awesome.

Too much Photoshop and design work for me to give up my computer (also some recreational gaming). I do probably 50-60% of my browsing on my phone though. At one point I really, really wanted an Android tablet (heck, I still want one) but I realized that for me right now it was just a "want" thing. What I really need as a third device is a mobile productivity device, which is why I'm opting for a Chromebook with 3G built in.

My wish list does still include a tablet and an Android PMP (mostly as a way to entertain my daughter on long car trips), but for now economics and practical need dictates

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

I will use my smartphone a lot more (already do) if it had better scrolling and also the speed of the loading pages

My whole household has android devices. I need a new computer and haven't been in a major rush to get one. We use our phones for everything. I love it. They're mini laptops. I love my Sidekick 4G!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I have also realized that I am almost as fast and accurate texting on my phone than I am typing on my keyboard. This is yet another reason why I am comfortable using my phone as my main computing device. Plus I always have it with me and all of my Google services are integrated into just about everything.
    Last edited by dwaynewilliams; 06-04-2011 at 12:55 PM.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by ottscay View Post
    At one point I really, really wanted an Android tablet (heck, I still want one) but I realized that for me right now it was just a "want" thing.
    I'm on the same boat as you. Getting a tablet for me is a want thing as opposed to a need. Granted, most people buy it for the same reason, I would find myself using it for the first few weeks then going back to my regular routine like I did when I purchased an iPad for the wife.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

Tablets don't yet offer anything that can't be done better by other devices, but I like having one so I don't have to go to my desktop every time I want to read something or look something up. Granted, lots of people simply use their smartphones for this, but a tablet offers much more screen real estate.

I find myself using my tablet daily, but I still prefer the speed and stability of a hardwired network, the processing power of a full-on PC, and the tactile feedback and precision input of a keyboard and mouse. Call me old-fashioned, but desktops still rule for me. Plus, the screen never gets smudged!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I may change my mind if I had a chromebook.

Global Posts
    19,860 Global Posts

I still prefer using my desktop for browsing. My smartphone only replaced my laptop for mobile computing. If I need to walk somewhere or I'm out and about, my smartphone is what I use. If I'm home, nothing can replace this monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    CrackBerry Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | Tech Enthusiast

I was using my Droid X for 90% of my computing needs until a week ago when I bought an Acer Iconia Tab. Now I'm using that alot. The phone is nice for 1 handed use and since I have small children I'm often needing that free hand.
    Enjoy every day.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    I still prefer using my desktop for browsing. My smartphone only replaced my laptop for mobile computing. If I need to walk somewhere or I'm out and about, my smartphone is what I use. If I'm home, nothing can replace this monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    Exactly. Having multiple browsers open is convenient for me. Depending on where I am in the house I will still use my phone over the laptop only because I have a 14 month old and I'm constantly moving after her when Mom is doing errands.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

If I am doing serious work, I use my desktop or laptop depending where I am. But If I am communicating with any of my clients I use whatever device is close to me, may it be my desktop (laptop), phone and tablet. However if I am just browsing or conducting research, I use my tablet.
    Rooting comes with great power & great responsibilities.

Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

I paid all my bills from my phone. I could easily suffice on a android browser alone. I have a slick Asus gaming PC with a HDTV by samsung for a monitor plugged into a pro logic surround sound.... Yeah, android is gold, but not platinum lol!

I'd love a tablet but I just can't justify the cost right now. I have an nice laptop I got two years ago and my Droid x is great for browsing when I don't want to get out my laptop. I'd love something like the galaxy tab for a slightly larger screen but I cringe when I think of the price tag.

Global Posts
    651 Global Posts

If I had to pick one device, it would have to be a smartphone. If I could have two, I'd go with smartphone and a desktop (though many people would opt for a laptop here). If I could have three, I'd go with smartphone, desktop, and tablet. That's how I'd prioritize my gadget budget.

i no longer have an office job, but still do computery office stuff. this is one of the main reasons im leaving Blackberry. I need the ability to do nothing (ie; surfing the web, blogging, chatting, etc) at work all day once again.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by kirkiscool View Post
    i no longer have an office job, but still do computery office stuff. this is one of the main reasons im leaving Blackberry. I need the ability to do nothing (ie; surfing the web, blogging, chatting, etc) at work all day once again.
    I don't understand.

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

There are some sites that work better on the laptop, but most sites work fine on my SGS. I still do a lot of Photoshop work, and store all emails, and other work stuff on my PC. I wouldn't be able to replace all that with a smartphone or tablet, yet.

Plus, I do app development, and there isn't a way to develop directly on devices yet.

But when I'm away from work, I rarely touch my laptop anymore. My SGS covers pretty much everything I need to do away from the laptop, and it is always with me.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast