List of Hate - Derogatory Android Expressions you never want to hear again...

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So here are my top 3 - what are yours?

Not Ready for Primetime ? what the hell does this expression even mean? Not functional? No it ever refers to applications not working, or just failing at their functional purpose ? no it?s reserved specifically for those who have gripes about an OS or experience bugs. Guess what, you whiney little maggots, all software has bugs ? and there?s rarely one OS that can accommodate everyone?s wants and needs. To speculate that any OS is not ?ready? infers that it?s somehow non-functional or missing major things promised in its release ? which hasn?t been the case since Windows ME debuted.

3D ? Stupid Stupid Stupid technology. Why in the holy white Mary-Moses Beetle Bailey do you actually need 3d for? Nothing, and in fact ? it was laughable until this whole generation of idiots went to see Avatar and decided it was necessary on everything from Gameboy?s to toasters. What the hell do you really need 3D to accomplish with a 3d display on a phone or a tablet? Even TV?s I can better understand ? at least then you can sit back on your couch and watch laughably bad overly preachy sci-fi movies that should have been called ?Dances with Blue Strippers: A tale of Al Gore?s Global Warming Warning.? And P.S. for all of you potential EVO3d owners ? you should go pick up a 3ds to pair with your new 3d enabled phone ? that way you don?t drag out the charchoalization of your cornea?s.

Fragmentation ? God give it a rest already ? 60+% of all Android devices are on 2.2, another 20+% of Android users are on 2.1. If you, as a developer are so concerned with having to port your code to another file system or OS then?WELCOME TO THE PARTY PAL! We, in the video game industry, have had to contend with this problem since the Atari 2600 ? guess what, we suck it up and deal with it and we still manage to make money. Phone App developers are the whiniest sect of individuals this side of the fashion industry, and without good cause. It doesn?t take a nation to develop a phone app ? the average size of a game development team (console/pc) is between 55-80 individuals ? the average size of a phone app/game is what ? 6, 8?maybe?20. Your overhead is so much lower that from my seat ? you don?t get to ***** when your app doesn?t reach all 100% of the market. Guess what ? it happens on every other phone OS as well? including the IOS, the market there is just full of plebeians willing to fork out money for things they can?t use?as they?ve been doing with all Apple products for the last 20 years.

Reactions: d14racer24

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I chose three expressions I hear a lot in the Android community. that drive me batty.

DOA - This is often proclaimed loudly within moments of a product being announced, often because the person saying it already has their "Perfect" device, and since the phone/tablet announced isn't it, it obviously won't sell.

No Dual Core? Fail!: Android won't support Dual Core for phones until Ice Cream Sandwich, and even then it won't be a requirement (remember, Google said that all phones capable of running GB can run ICS). Is dual core nice? Yes, the games it offers are amazing. But past gaming, there is VERY little that will take advantage of the multiple cores and there won't be for well over a year since a majority of devices (remember those pesky contracts) won't have two cores. Once ICS is released multiple cores become more important,, but with the exception of the tablets, most current Dual core phones don't provide any advantages over their single core devices. Dual core is a nice perk, but it's not needed for a phone to be a good device.

"It's Android, it should be free"
- This one drives me absolutely mad. A developer will come up with some amazing app and release it in the market and people will trash it because he didn't give it away for free. No matter if the price is .99 or 6.99 it's always "Too Much" and the developer is "Losing customer's" because they're not giving it a way. Why in the world would you want a customer that doesn't make you any money? Because if that developer releases it for free but has the audacity to put ads in it to support it, suddenly he's "Greedy" again. Now, some people make applications because they like messing with the OS and they love sharing their creations. That's great and more power to them. But just because a developer wants to be compensated for the hours they put into an app (or sifting through countless emails/comments) doesn't make them greedy. If you don't want to buy an app, then don't buy it. You don't work for free either, don't expect them to.

Reactions: Alma

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Android is a toy.
There is no push email on Android.
Android battery life is horrible.

I get tired of those myths.

Oh, it is lame when people call my Thunderbolt a Droid. Lol.

nickel3956

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
i get annoyed when people generalize every android phone as a "droid". pretty sure there was an article or something stating the difference (don't remember it right now)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
i get annoyed when people generalize every android phone as a "droid". pretty sure there was an article or something stating the difference (don't remember it right now)

every RIM device is a blackberry...but I agree

oh my three:

First!

Fail!

Would you like to buy sneakers? check out this great website.....

Oh I thought you meant the comment section lol

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
So here are my top 3 - what are yours?

Not Ready for Primetime ? what the hell does this expression even mean? Not functional? No it ever refers to applications not working, or just failing at their functional purpose ? no it?s reserved specifically for those who have gripes about an OS or experience bugs. Guess what, you whiney little maggots, all software has bugs ? and there?s rarely one OS that can accommodate everyone?s wants and needs. To speculate that any OS is not ?ready? infers that it?s somehow non-functional or missing major things promised in its release ? which hasn?t been the case since Windows ME debuted.

It means releasing a beta product for wide consumer use, but not fessing up to it. See Honeycomb as an example.

Its not just leveled at Android though; Apple got nailed for it for the 2.0 iOS release, and Microsoft's been nailed for it for WP7.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
my personal favorite, android is for teens. I love when people say that few months later they bought a nexus one.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It means releasing a beta product for wide consumer use, but not fessing up to it. See Honeycomb as an example.

Here's my issue...the public's opinion of what's "beta" and what I'd consider a bug...there's obviously a gulf in terms of definition. By logic of the general moron masses any bug or feature nt fully realized would make a product. "Beta." The reality is...if you looked at Windows XP, for example you could look from the perspective that the original release should never have been released because SP2 was so much better...but te reality is that while SP2 added some functionality and performance...the original was perfectly functional. Its like everyone wants to ignore the concept that things perform better after several software releases and instead of waiting for that to happen through its natural progression....people are annoyed that it isn't that way at launch...which is wholly unrealistic.

Honeycomb...to use your example...was perfectly useable at launch...were the/are there bugs? Sure....imagine that....bugs in a six month old product...go figure. I think people need to manage their expectations better, at least if they don't want to go through life completely disappointed in everything. But for every me, I'm gravely certain there are 10 douchebags uttering phrases like "that sun is a neat product...but the summer should be longer...fail not ready for prime time."

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Here's my issue...the public's opinion of what's "beta" and what I'd consider a bug...there's obviously a gulf in terms of definition. By logic of the general moron masses any bug or feature nt fully realized would make a product. "Beta." The reality is...if you looked at Windows XP, for example you could look from the perspective that the original release should never have been released because SP2 was so much better...but te reality is that while SP2 added some functionality and performance...the original was perfectly functional. Its like everyone wants to ignore the concept that things perform better after several software releases and instead of waiting for that to happen through its natural progression....people are annoyed that it isn't that way at launch...which is wholly unrealistic.

Honeycomb...to use your example...was perfectly useable at launch...were the/are there bugs? Sure....imagine that....bugs in a six month old product...go figure. I think people need to manage their expectations better, at least if they don't want to go through life completely disappointed in everything. But for every me, I'm gravely certain there are 10 douchebags uttering phrases like "that sun is a neat product...but the summer should be longer...fail not ready for prime time."

Honeycomb was a hot mess at launch, just like Android 2.0 was. Yeah, it was functional, but it was not at all ready to be launched. Features were missing or incomplete, drivers were missing or incomplete, and the system, as a whole was buggier than hell. That's the very definition of 'not ready for primetime'.

P.S. You sure seem to have a lot of anger about something you can't control and shouldn't care about.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Its not really anger its a general lack of patience I have with most people..but I digress. So you talk about missing functionality in Honeycomb what functionality or lack of driver support are we talking about here specifically?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Its not really anger its a general lack of patience I have with most people..but I digress. So you talk about missing functionality in Honeycomb what functionality or lack of driver support are we talking about here specifically?

microSD support was the big one. The reason it wasn't included was because Google didn't finish writing the drivers in time for the Xoom's launch. Flash was missing at launch as well.

But generally, honeycomb was buggy and had some pretty serious lag issues. 3.1 fixes a lot of them, but it still doesn't change the fact that 3.0 was 'not ready for primetime'.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
microSD support was the big one. The reason it wasn't included was because Google didn't finish writing the drivers in time for the Xoom's launch. Flash was missing at launch as well.

But generally, honeycomb was buggy and had some pretty serious lag issues. 3.1 fixes a lot of them, but it still doesn't change the fact that 3.0 was 'not ready for primetime'.

So here's my point, you point out some things that were not necessarily Honeycomb:

"Buggy and Laggy" - two different issues, if you're talking about:

Force Closes - Yes, there are bugs...again, I revert to my earlier statement regarding the fact that Honeycomb isn't officially six months old yet - it's going to have bugs.

"Laggy" - if you are referring specifically to the lag between portrait and landscape (which I'm assuming you are, but please correct me if you are wrong" then again, the onus isn't on Honeycomb, but instead on Tegra2 - the screen scaling will ALWAYS be an issue given the platform. You'll see what I mean when other HC tablets sans Tegra but with other DC solutions (which will happen). Again, I'm guessing again that this is what you mean, but would be happy to consider other points of reference and I apologize If I'm off base on this one.

MicroSD support - Fine I'll grant you this one, though 3.0 was out for what - two whole weeks before 3.0.something came out? The fact that it's not enabeled on the Xoom shouldn't be considered - as the Asus tab managed to ship with working SD card support pre-3.1, which means Google may not have made it instantly accessible in that build of HC - but Asus managed to get it running (along with XDA) - meaning that support functionality was there. Given my position on SD card support, I'm probably not the best person to argue this either way - I think all tablets should ship with 8-16gb of storage and call it a day, I tend to "cloud" everything so the extra storage means absolutly nothing to me.

Flash - Again, not the fault of the OS - this was simply an Adobe issue - they weren't ready at launch - and so what? Flash makes browsing the internet no less possible or impossible - it wasn't promised at launch, and it came out a whopping one month later. Try being an Apple fan and hearing "Never" over and over again. The fact is, the browser was perfectly useable without Flash (probably even somewhat faster given how much of a dog Flash is) - Flash is a nicety - but it's not like you couldn't surf the internet without it.

So there you have it - Honeycomb at launch was perfectly serviceable, there were bugs and features took time to become active - explain to me how this was different from ANY OTHER O/S launch from the beginning of time. To quantify it as "not ready for prime time" is as obtuse as saying that we shouldn't have released the original Xbox until Xbox live was enabled (a full year after the initial xbox launch) because it wasn't ready.

Reactions: jbjtkbw007

Mgamerz

May 8, 2011
Visit site
So here's my point, you point out some things that were not necessarily Honeycomb:

"Buggy and Laggy" - two different issues, if you're talking about:

Force Closes - Yes, there are bugs...again, I revert to my earlier statement regarding the fact that Honeycomb isn't officially six months old yet - it's going to have bugs.

"Laggy" - if you are referring specifically to the lag between portrait and landscape (which I'm assuming you are, but please correct me if you are wrong" then again, the onus isn't on Honeycomb, but instead on Tegra2 - the screen scaling will ALWAYS be an issue given the platform. You'll see what I mean when other HC tablets sans Tegra but with other DC solutions (which will happen). Again, I'm guessing again that this is what you mean, but would be happy to consider other points of reference and I apologize If I'm off base on this one.

MicroSD support - Fine I'll grant you this one, though 3.0 was out for what - two whole weeks before 3.0.something came out? The fact that it's not enabeled on the Xoom shouldn't be considered - as the Asus tab managed to ship with working SD card support pre-3.1, which means Google may not have made it instantly accessible in that build of HC - but Asus managed to get it running (along with XDA) - meaning that support functionality was there. Given my position on SD card support, I'm probably not the best person to argue this either way - I think all tablets should ship with 8-16gb of storage and call it a day, I tend to "cloud" everything so the extra storage means absolutly nothing to me.

Flash - Again, not the fault of the OS - this was simply an Adobe issue - they weren't ready at launch - and so what? Flash makes browsing the internet no less possible or impossible - it wasn't promised at launch, and it came out a whopping one month later. Try being an Apple fan and hearing "Never" over and over again. The fact is, the browser was perfectly useable without Flash (probably even somewhat faster given how much of a dog Flash is) - Flash is a nicety - but it's not like you couldn't surf the internet without it.

So there you have it - Honeycomb at launch was perfectly serviceable, there were bugs and features took time to become active - explain to me how this was different from ANY OTHER O/S launch from the beginning of time. To quantify it as "not ready for prime time" is as obtuse as saying that we shouldn't have released the the xbox until Xbox live was enabled (a full year after the initial xbox launch) because it wasn't ready.
Being available at launch is no where near the same as coming out month later is pretty bad. That never works in business and should not work on consumers either. And not having Sd support is bs. What is this wp7?

rip14

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
3D ? Stupid Stupid Stupid technology. Why in the holy white Mary-Moses Beetle Bailey do you actually need 3d for? Nothing, and in fact ? it was laughable until this whole generation of idiots went to see Avatar and decided it was necessary on everything from Gameboy?s to toasters. What the hell do you really need 3D to accomplish with a 3d display on a phone or a tablet? Even TV?s I can better understand ? at least then you can sit back on your couch and watch laughably bad overly preachy sci-fi movies that should have been called ?Dances with Blue Strippers: A tale of Al Gore?s Global Warming Warning.? And P.S. for all of you potential EVO3d owners ? you should go pick up a 3ds to pair with your new 3d enabled phone ? that way you don?t drag out the charchoalization of your cornea?s.

My Grandfather used to say the same thing about Color TVs.

My Mom used to say the same thing about Cable TV

What will the next generation of kids say?

Now granted, 3D has a hell of a way to go before it is ready for prime time use on a cell phone. But I bet one day it will be very useful.

15 years ago if you told someone that one day they would have the internet in their pocket 24/7 they would think you are crazy.

Who knows what's next.... but I do like your idea of a 3D toaster. Hmmm, I better get the patent on that so I can start marketing it. :D

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My Grandfather used to say the same thing about Color TVs.

My Mom used to say the same thing about Cable TV

What will the next generation of kids say?

Now granted, 3D has a hell of a way to go before it is ready for prime time use on a cell phone. But I bet one day it will be very useful.

15 years ago if you told someone that one day they would have the internet in their pocket 24/7 they would think you are crazy.

Who knows what's next.... but I do like your idea of a 3D toaster. Hmmm, I better get the patent on that so I can start marketing it. :D

Actually I agree about the whole 3D thing. When I look at the Evo 3D the only word that cones to my mind is "gimmick".

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The number 1 thing that ticks me off is people who refer to all android devices as DROIDS!

I had my Evo out and about and someone randomly walked up to me and said "Oh is the that the droid phone on sprint?" That does annoy me.