Android: Stop the flow of "haterade"

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So I regularly do a google news search of android to keep up to date, in addition to visiting sites like Android Central. In the last few weeks I have noticed an increasingly critical view of Android from the major news outlets and non-Android centric sites.

I understand the arguments of those stating that there is too much fragmentation inside the Android devices and manufacturer interference can add to the confusion. I also understand that a lot of these sites are pro Apple or pro Blackberry but why does it seem that there are so many that feel the need to bash Android? Are they intimidated or do they have legitimate complaints about the problems with Android?

I am a geek and could be considered an Android fanboy but I really want some insight on this as I don't believe what I am hearing and reading. Any positive feedback related to unifying the platform or ideas to reduce the learning curve, let alone the device to device differences, would be appreciated.

PS- Please don't bag on other brands and make this a childish rant about how much the other guys suck. Lets make this an Android self inventory...

onixblack

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I think that it is more of a fear than anything else really. Blackberry is starting to hit the back burner and I would say that iOS is starting to get stale. I think that Android is the best platform out there but I also think there needs to be a lot of fixes, and it will continue to grow as a platform.

zak

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
How do I say, I don't have to pay for Angry Birds without that being a slight against another platform that you have to pay for it on?

kalex

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Yep I can vouch for that. I have MacPro, Ipad2 and macbook air but my phone is Nexus S 4G and i frequent macrumors site. Every time I read those threads I just laugh, they are filled with so much idiotic comments about how android is garbage, fragmented, blah blah blah and how ios is a gift from god. I tried to defend it few times but its pointless so I just read and laugh. It seems as its either apple or nothing else :)

Reactions: Bill Wilson

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
How do I say, I don't have to pay for Angry Birds without that being a slight against another platform that you have to pay for it on?

I agree that quality games for free with minimally invasive ads are a nice thing to have. The usual Apple response is that Android users are cheap and don't want to invest in a platform that they don't plan on keeping. I have probably dropped 50 bucks in productivity/entertainment apps to get more functionality...

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
So I regularly do a google news search of android to keep up to date, in addition to visiting sites like Android Central. In the last few weeks I have noticed an increasingly critical view of Android from the major news outlets and non-Android centric sites.

I understand the arguments of those stating that there is too much fragmentation inside the Android devices and manufacturer interference can add to the confusion. I also understand that a lot of these sites are pro Apple or pro Blackberry but why does it seem that there are so many that feel the need to bash Android? Are they intimidated or do they have legitimate complaints about the problems with Android?

I am a geek and could be considered an Android fanboy but I really want some insight on this as I don't believe what I am hearing and reading. Any positive feedback related to unifying the platform or ideas to reduce the learning curve, let alone the device to device differences, would be appreciated.

PS- Please don't bag on other brands and make this a childish rant about how much the other guys suck. Lets make this an Android self inventory...
In all honesty they have a legitimate complaint. It's not about what site is pro this or pro that or anti anything. I think Android is a great OS and even so called Pro Apple site, Engadget thinks its a great OS. The issue is the manufacturers and in some cases the carriers that are making a great OS not so great.

Think about it, the Nexus series of phones are essential the best phones available not because of the hardware (super nerds would argue in favor of dual care or whatever gimmick is available) but because it's essentially untainted. There are no issues with fragmentation because updates come directly from Google and there are no worries about these manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves with software like Sense or Touchwiz, it's just the hardware. Outside of that, manufacturers feel the need to throw on their own iteration of android which can either improve or weaken the OS. The biggest issue is that manufacturers don't update their phones in a timely manner. They tend to hold off as long as possible to boost sales on the newer products or to get their own software on a device. Average consumers may or may not care, but we superusers care very much about that.

Finally there's the carriers. Some (verizon) feel the need to pollute Android phones with their crapware when it's not even necessary. Whether or not you like Appple, they were smart in making their products crapware free and still managed to get big sales.

Honestly Google needs to get control of the way these manufacturers and carriers are polluting Android. Find a way to get updates out better. Allow manufacturer software to be turned off. Not integrated into the system to the point where its more of a parasite than an addon. Either that or do what they did with sprint and slap a Nexus phone on a carrier.

SN: Android is like a glass of water. It's good on its own. The carriers/manufacturers are like that annoying waiter that insists you need a lemon in your water and puts it in your glass whether you want it or not.

Last edited:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I regularly brows both Android Central and Crackberry. I don't browse any iPhone sites simply because I don't see myself purchasing or using an iPhone (from what I've read and heard its locked down pretty tight. And I don't like being tied that heavily to iTunes). I like BB but I'll admit that its my only experience with a smartphone. However, I'm interested in checking out Android when its time for an upgrade in a few months.

Both sites have their haters. Some BB fans hate on both iPhone and Android. Some just on one or the other. I've seen similar bashing on this site.

The fact of the matter is there is no PERFECT smartphone. Even if there was a PERFECT smartphone for you doesn't mean it will be PERFECT for me. Which is why choice is such a good thing and consumers drive the market by their choice.

Of course human nature being what it is, anything that is different from what we like or think is normal is immediately suspect or even considered a threat... and this is where the bashing aka haterade comes in.

wingzero_0

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the same amount of trash talking lately as well. But it's to be expected. Apple received this kind of bashing when it started rocketing to the top. The now it's our turn. The only reason we're taking notice is because of the amount of time we've personally invested into android. Honestly, my advice is to stop reading most other sites since they usually bash android. Sure android has its problems, and but so do all software platforms. 'Hatin' by definition is ripping off on someone who's doing good. So...as the hip hop song goes... 'look at me now', Androids getting paper!

gcims

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I think that it is more of a fear than anything else really. Blackberry is starting to hit the back burner and I would say that iOS is starting to get stale. I think that Android is the best platform out there but I also think there needs to be a lot of fixes, and it will continue to grow as a platform.
Onix, I am a big Android fan and user. I would like to launch off your statement that iOS is starting to get stale. I agree with you in it's present state but the announced iOS5 features coming will make it an attractive option. One podcaster last week stated that Apple must have a clipboard listing all the Android features they are missing and add a few every year. Grabbing BBM idea was great too. As long as everyone evolves at its current rate, Android will remain ahead, iOS second, followed by WP and RIM in last. ?Palm. I honestly have no clue...

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Apple fans are getting hate too on some Apple site from Fandroids (NOT the same as Android fans). The point here is that whether or not one likes it, they will NOT change the opinions of people who have their mind set, blindly or with evidence, on a certain device. What I like to do is to either leave it alone or kindly state that they have the right to an opinion and then I proceed to state mine. I am not the Android fan I used to be, but I still enjoy reading about Android and chiming in on conversations down here once in a while. I don't like when someone defends Apple on a certain subject without any concrete evidence or someone who defends Android without concrete evidence, but most of the time, I do see educated arguments.

Unfortunately, this extends to blogs and news sites as well. Although it appears that an article may be written professionally, it is still written by a human and that human most likely leans one way or the other. It is nearly impossible to be neutral, so the best thing to do is to come to a friendly resolution with the disagreeing person.

For example, on the iFans website, they have recently begun to post articles relating to Android in hopes to attract more of a crowd; however, this has lead to some Android lovers disturbing the peace on the website (I assume it is the same here on AndroidCentral with Apple lovers once in a while). I simply explain that they have a full right to believe that, but that I disagree on some points.

In conclusion, I'd say that, yes, please do stop the Android haterade because it is quite annoying, but we must stop the haterade being spread to other operating systems and phones as well :)

babybear293

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty they have a legitimate complaint. It's not about what site is pro this or pro that or anti anything. I think Android is a great OS and even so called Pro Apple site, Engadget thinks its a great OS. The issue is the manufacturers and in some cases the carriers that are making a great OS not so great.

Think about it, the Nexus series of phones are essential the best phones available not because of the hardware (super nerds would argue in favor of dual care or whatever gimmick is available) but because it's essentially untainted. There are no issues with fragmentation because updates come directly from Google and there are no worries about these manufacturers trying to differentiate themselves with software like Sense or Touchwiz, it's just the hardware. Outside of that, manufacturers feel the need to throw on their own iteration of android which can either improve or weaken the OS. The biggest issue is that manufacturers don't update their phones in a timely manner. They tend to hold off as long as possible to boost sales on the newer products or to get their own software on a device. Average consumers may or may not care, but we superusers care very much about that.

Finally there's the carriers. Some (verizon) feel the need to pollute Android phones with their crapware when it's not even necessary. Whether or not you like Appple, they were smart in making their products crapware free and still managed to get big sales.

Honestly Google needs to get control of they way these manufacturers and carriers are polluting Android. Find a way to get updates out better. Allow manufacturer software to be turned off. Not integrated into the system to the point where its more of a parasite than an addon. Either that or do what they did with sprint and slap a Nexus phone on a carrier.

SN: Android is like a class of water. It's good on its own. The carriers/manufacturers are like that annoying waiter that insists you need a lemon in your water and puts it in your glass whether you want it or not.

That is very true. I like Sense, but sadly Sprint doesn't have a Vanilla HTC phone.

ceemay

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
People play the same game with everything. Somebody says Lebron is better than kobe. What do kobe fans say ? How many rings does lebron have ? None. Same things with Android vs Ios. Somebody says Android is better than Ios. What is the response from the lil Apple fanboy. Android is fragmented and has less apps compared to the Ios. The only reason apple was able to gain so many apps and the way it looks is because Apple had more developers from the start than when android first took off. But Android is more customizible and smooth(too me) and i just love my custom roms on my inspire 4g. Apple is Simple to me with just standard icons that actually look good and its interface is so smooth. Its not customizable in no way.They didnt get actual wallpapers until last year i think. Standard everything. Because it is a Standard OS. Now android has a few problems also. Like Sometimes my phone lags and reboots by itself. But thats the only thing i see wrong with it. And that rarely happens to me unless im doing something with my custom rom. Apple is cool Android is Customizably Icy. Also the Manufacturers mess with android which makes it turn from a android os to a Samsung Ui plus the addition on android os or HTC sense plus android os. Which is cool for HTC but Samsung took the wrong path down creating a UI that is formatted to look just like ios. Samthing with Motoblur that **** is ****ing laggy than a *****. Excuse my language. Even dual core couldnt help the laggyness of Motoblur. Thats a problem with Motorola tho not android.

Last edited:

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey, Apple fans are getting hate too on some Apple site from Fandroids (NOT the same as Android fans). The point here is that whether or not one likes it, they will NOT change the opinions of people who have their mind set, blindly or with evidence, on a certain device. What I like to do is to either leave it alone or kindly state that they have the right to an opinion and then I proceed to state mine. I am not the Android fan I used to be, but I still enjoy reading about Android and chiming in on conversations down here once in a while. I don't like when someone defends Apple on a certain subject without any concrete evidence or someone who defends Android without concrete evidence, but most of the time, I do see educated arguments.

Unfortunately, this extends to blogs and news sites as well. Although it appears that an article may be written professionally, it is still written by a human and that human most likely leans one way or the other. It is nearly impossible to be neutral, so the best thing to do is to come to a friendly resolution with the disagreeing person.

For example, on the iFans website, they have recently begun to post articles relating to Android in hopes to attract more of a crowd; however, this has lead to some Android lovers disturbing the peace on the website (I assume it is the same here on AndroidCentral with Apple lovers once in a while). I simply explain that they have a full right to believe that, but that I disagree on some points.

In conclusion, I'd say that, yes, please do stop the Android haterade because it is quite annoying, but we must stop the haterade being spread to other operating systems and phones as well :)
Not long after I purchased my Evo, I purchased an Ipod touch 4G just to get a basic feel of the IOS. From my understanding the Ipod touch has about 90% of the functions of the Iphone just minus the radio. With that being said the only thing that IOS allows you to do is pick an app. That is more or less an app launcher(android had a ton by the way) not an OS. I was bored with it in less than a day. It does work great as a music player though.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site

Honestly Google needs to get control of they way these manufacturers and carriers are polluting Android. Find a way to get updates out better. Allow manufacturer software to be turned off. Not integrated into the system to the point where its more of a parasite than an addon. Either that or do what they did with sprint and slap a Nexus phone on a carrier.

SN: Android is like a class of water. It's good on its own. The carriers/manufacturers are like that annoying waiter that insists you need a lemon in your water and puts it in your glass whether you want it or not.

I do agree with some of these points. Google does need to work something out that is set in stone that addresses the updates issue. Something like state before the phone is launched what updates it will be getting and then have to deliver the goods. Give the manufacturers some sort of punishment if they don't deliver.

As for the bloatware that some carriers want to install I say do them like the Evo 3D, let the consumer remove them he/she chooses to. Without the need for rooting the phone.

Then the matter of the UI customizations, I for one love Sense. Of all the Android devices I have had my Incredible and Thunderbolt are by far my favs. I do like the current 2.3 look and feel stock but given the choice I would take Sense all day. That being said if users truly want a stock experiance on a HTC or other phone I say have them release a clean ROM that can be installed.

I think that this would give the Android a very good leg up on the competition and show just how much Google wants Android to succeed. I still remember my older brother showing me his Samsung Omnia running a very old version of Android, my how far we have come...:cool:

Bendroid55

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
SN: Android is like a glass of water. It's good on its own. The carriers/manufacturers are like that annoying waiter that insists you need a lemon in your water and puts it in your glass whether you want it or not.

Haha great analogy. I hate when they do that.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Whoever is at the top of the ladder always receives the most criticism. Too many people feel a need to defend their materialistic tendencies. And it's not just between OS brands; The Android fanbase argues amongst themselves over phone models and carriers. On various Android forums, I can see the same user change phone models and carriers three times within a year, ranting all the time about how newer models and OS releases can't come out fast enough, and will criticize a 3 month old model smartphone as being old and obsolete.

No one brand of smartphone packs every single feature imaginable into one device or OS, and no one brand is without their own bugs or design flaws. So it's a simple matter for anyone to pick and choose one feature their brand has and the others don't, and then sensationalize the hell out of it to make it seem a bigger issue than it really is. Case in point (this is a random example, don't read into it) have you ever seen how BB fans make a huge issue out of their LED notification system that Android and iOS don't have or can't compare to? It's something that many people really couldn't care less about, but to the BB faithful, it's huge.

As for fragmentation issues with Android... :shrug: It doesn't bother me too much. While different smartphone manufacturers can create the occasional headache, one good thing about it is that it also breeds competition and gives incentives between all the brands to continue to improve or innovate. Other OS brands have their own issues too.

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I do agree with some of these points. Google does need to work something out that is set in stone that addresses the updates issue. Something like state before the phone is launched what updates it will be getting and then have to deliver the goods. Give the manufacturers some sort of punishment if they don't deliver.

As for the bloatware that some carriers want to install I say do them like the Evo 3D, let the consumer remove them he/she chooses to. Without the need for rooting the phone.

Then the matter of the UI customizations, I for one love Sense. Of all the Android devices I have had my Incredible and Thunderbolt are by far my favs. I do like the current 2.3 look and feel stock but given the choice I would take Sense all day. That being said if users truly want a stock experiance on a HTC or other phone I say have them release a clean ROM that can be installed.

I think that this would give the Android a very good leg up on the competition and show just how much Google wants Android to succeed. I still remember my older brother showing me his Samsung Omnia running a very old version of Android, my how far we have come...:cool:

I agree on most of your points and I believe Google is trying to take some serious measures to address OS updates and fragmentation. Though nobody has been kind enough to leak info on the beta versions of Ice Cream Sandwich at Google I/O the keynote address did touch on these issues.

Google did state, with initial support of all major national carriers, that moving forward all Android handsets will receive OS updates within 18 months of their release or until the hardware couldn't support it, whichever comes first.

In the keynote address the issue of software compatibility is also going to be less of an issue for developers as Google would like to "shelter" differences in hardware through the OS to allow more devices to get new applications and allow developers to be more innovative, while reaching a larger demographic. I think this will allow us to see better productivity and entertainment applications as well as some really cool lightweight launchers/themes.

I don't want to touch too much on bootloaders as I would hate to beat a dead horse. If we want custom ROMs/Kernals than we will get them regardless of the state of the bootloader. Yes, an unlocked bootloader causes less headaches but there are developers that are just as talented working on hacking these phones as there are developers locking them for OEMs and carriers. Being able to remove bloatware from sight (though still in ROM for factory reset) is nice and I welcome more phones to have this feature, but with revenue margins being what they are (slim) the manufacturers and carriers are under no obligation to give this to us.

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
I see the hate from sites that cater to "other platforms" and all I can do is laugh because if I were to stand next to a user of those "other platforms" with my EVO 4G from last year, my platform (Android) has less limitations and my phone is capable of doing everything I want it to do and then some. Could some things on Android be done better? Yes and they are being addressed right now as well as in the future, with ICS. To add to that, if I was willing to root my device, I'd get even more functionality out of it as well as get updates for it beyond what the manufacturer and my network provider, would allow. I'd say that those "other platforms" are definitely intimidated and that users of those platforms who are drinking the "hater aide" are uninformed and clueless about the advantages of this platform (Android). Let them hate and live with their platform's limitations. Mine (Android) does not have any that can't be addressed with software or hardware.

Reactions: youngzayiles

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma