Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By etnpnys
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Question Nexus 5 & Picasa - lower resolution duplicates...?

So, Picasa imports my stuff without any issues, per se, but I noticed in my gallery that I have a lot of duplicates. Upon closer inspection, they're very low resolution versions of the same photos - are they thumbnails from something?

Where are they?

And how on Earth do I get Picasa to ignore them and not import them?

Any help/feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: Nexus 5 & Picasa - lower resolution duplicates...?

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    So, Picasa imports my stuff without any issues, per se, but I noticed in my gallery that I have a lot of duplicates. Upon closer inspection, they're very low resolution versions of the same photos - are they thumbnails from something?

Where are they?

And how on Earth do I get Picasa to ignore them and not import them?

Any help/feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    They are Thumbs. Android handsets may have many thumbnail directories. It all depends on installed apps and respective configs. I have stumbled upon a directory of thumbs once on my handset, looking for my screenshots, but can't recall what directory it was, I only recall that it was a third level subdirectory. I just made a quick tour and can't find it. (Murphy's law)... I'll try and post it if and when I find the name.

As for Picasa settings, if the service is half decently built and coded, there should be a way to set directories or upload rules, but then again, data aggregated by "media management" software is usually very poorly classified and managed.

Good luck.
    "All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility."
    - The Ascent of man.
    J. Bronowsky.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

What if I set the phone to PTP instead of MTP mode? Would it still find those directories? (I'm thinking it wouldn't...)

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

What if I set the phone to PTP instead of MTP mode? Would it still find those directories? (I'm thinking it wouldn't...)
    That wouldn't matter. You need to know where the directories are saved to view those files.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    That wouldn't matter. You need to know where the directories are saved to view those files.
    True, but doesn't Android hide almost everything except for the "DCIM" folder if it's in PTP mode? I'm assuming that the thumbs are stored somewhere other than the "DCIM" folder, and in setting it to PTP mode it would hide said folder.

Other than the invisible directories, I have no idea what the difference is between MTP and PTP modes...
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Sorry for the possible thread resurrection, but this is still pissing me off. I know it shouldn't, but it does. I have a Nexus 5. I use Picasa. Who else other than Google could be responsible for this?

PTP mode or MTP mode, I have thumbnails that are getting imported, and there's absolutely no reason why this should be acceptable. Who on Earth wants their photo archive/backup system to contain super low resolution versions of every single real-size photo that they have? This is ridiculous.

A simple size filter would go a LONG WAY (I think all of the thumbnails are <35k), yet I can't find any way to do this in Picasa.

What does everybody here use to pull photos off of their phone!? I think Zoner Photo Studio will accomplish this, but it's kinda clunky and I want it for nothing more than simply importing. All of my face tags and stuff I still want to use Picasa for...

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Sorry for the possible thread resurrection, but this is still pissing me off. I know it shouldn't, but it does. I have a Nexus 5. I use Picasa. Who else other than Google could be responsible for this?

PTP mode or MTP mode, I have thumbnails that are getting imported, and there's absolutely no reason why this should be acceptable. Who on Earth wants their photo archive/backup system to contain super low resolution versions of every single real-size photo that they have? This is ridiculous.

A simple size filter would go a LONG WAY (I think all of the thumbnails are <35k), yet I can't find any way to do this in Picasa.

What does everybody here use to pull photos off of their phone!? I think Zoner Photo Studio will accomplish this, but it's kinda clunky and I want it for nothing more than simply importing. All of my face tags and stuff I still want to use Picasa for...
    I either pull from the Web after the photos have auto-uploaded or use WiFi File Explorer to pull photos from the device to a laptop. If I want to pull photos from Google Photos (Picasa) to the phone I use the Picasa Tool App from the Play Store.

Also, I just checked and not sure if this is what is going on, but on the SD Card where photos are being saved you have the DCIM folder (which is common) and another folder labeled Pictures. If you open that you find subfolders "cache > com.google.android.googlephotos > picasa folders. I think this is where the images are being cached from your online Google Photos (G+/Picasa) photos and being displayed on the computer.

I also have a Nexus 5, rooted (that shouldn't matter) and see the same photos you seem to be seeing.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I either pull from the Web after the photos have auto-uploaded or use WiFi File Explorer to pull photos from the device to a laptop. If I want to pull photos from Google Photos (Picasa) to the phone I use the Picasa Tool App from the Play Store.

Also, I just checked and not sure if this is what is going on, but on the SD Card where photos are being saved you have the DCIM folder (which is common) and another folder labeled Pictures. If you open that you find subfolders "cache > com.google.android.googlephotos > picasa folders. I think this is where the images are being cached from your online Google Photos (G+/Picasa) photos and being displayed on the computer.

I also have a Nexus 5, rooted (that shouldn't matter) and see the same photos you seem to be seeing.
    Thanx for the reply. I'm currently not paying Google to let me auto-upload the full file size of all of my photos, so getting them from Google+ would be downgrading the quality. I've rooted the phone now (like you said - shouldn't matter) but maybe what I'll do is just delete the folders that seem to be holding the lower resolution copies... Because there are other folders in the DCIM that I still want to import from, such as the Auto Awesome videos and stuff.

FWIW, I think that the AllCast app is the one creating these thumbnails - I believe the file names are being generated by it. So maybe I'll uninstall that app and see if I get any closer to what I'm looking for. Of course, I'm still going to have screenshots and junk imported, but we'll see.
    srkmagnus likes this.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Thanx for the reply. I'm currently not paying Google to let me auto-upload the full file size of all of my photos, so getting them from Google+ would be downgrading the quality. I've rooted the phone now (like you said - shouldn't matter) but maybe what I'll do is just delete the folders that seem to be holding the lower resolution copies... Because there are other folders in the DCIM that I still want to import from, such as the Auto Awesome videos and stuff.

FWIW, I think that the AllCast app is the one creating these thumbnails - I believe the file names are being generated by it. So maybe I'll uninstall that app and see if I get any closer to what I'm looking for. Of course, I'm still going to have screenshots and junk imported, but we'll see.
    Let us know if you find the exact cause