Will Allo replace your current messaging app?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
With the introduction of Allo; will this replace your current messaging app? I'm looking forward to having a messaging app with Google built into it.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Depends on whether it will eventually be able to replace hangouts. SMS integration would be ideal to make that happen, but I have no qualms about going back to having a separate SMS app. It really depends upon whether the Phone Number identifier is optional (they did say you can add your google account, but didn't elaborate beyond that). If I can chat with people without having to give them my phone number, then I'll give an honest effort to switch away from hangouts. Success would depend on how many of my contacts don't mind trying the same.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Depends on whether it will eventually be able to replace hangouts. SMS integration would be ideal to make that happen, but I have no qualms about going back to having a separate SMS app. It really depends upon whether the Phone Number identifier is optional (they did say you can add your google account, but didn't elaborate beyond that). If I can chat with people without having to give them my phone number, then I'll give an honest effort to switch away from hangouts. Success would depend on how many of my contacts don't mind trying the same.

I've never been one for using Hangouts as an SMS app, every time I tried to use it, it would lag over time. I'm looking forward to Allo - will use it and Hangouts separately.

I do wonder if Allo will eventually replace Hangouts. Google did mention they had no intention of getting rid of Hangouts, but only time will tell I guess.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I really wished Google would have just improved Hangouts and make it lag free instead of making a whole new messaging app. With that said I am looking forward to trying it. If it is just a messenger app and not also SMS then the trouble is getting your friends on it because as it stands now WhatsApp has over a billion users, Facebook messenger is up there too. I can most likely find friends on there

Posted via the Android Central App

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree trying to get your friends and family on board will be challenging, maybe if Google made this their default messaging app it might make it easier. I plan on just installing it on my families phones without them knowing lol. Took me 2 years to convince everyone to get an Android so I don't plan on spending another 2 years getting them to change messaging apps.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
awesome. I was just unsure as WhatsApp also uses your number but it doesn't do SMS

I never thought of that :) come to think about it, being able to launch Google search and send pictures to your contact I would imagine it would use data instead of SMS allowance. Not really sure now

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I might give it a try. Not exactly sure. If this is a response to iMessage, where videos and larger pictures can be sent, then this would be awesome.

Queen Kong1

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Yes i want this yesterday, tired of 3rd party apps!!! Looks cool..........I hope there is a chrome add on so we can text from pc wouldn't that be so cool O:), Then i wouldn't have to use apps like Mighty Text....I thought hang outs may let me do that, but i couldn't get it to

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'll use it if I can get the same multiple-device messaging I get with Hangouts on Fi. If Allo will let me text from my tablet, phone or computer through my Fi number, I'll jump on board. If that doesn't work, I'm sticking with Hangouts.

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
No it won't. Unlike the US we dont have unlimited SMS and no one really use sit around here. Whatsapp will continue to remain the main stay

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It will if I can send and receive sms to anyone. If it's like what's app then no. I don't need another chat app.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800