Will Allo replace your current messaging app?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Allo will allow you to text or message anyone in your phonebook.

The purpose is to replace all messaging and text apps and just use one app.

Right now, I use:

Viber for a relative with an iphone
Whatsapp with my other relatives in another state
FB Messenger with people outside of the US
Hangouts with my wife.

Allo should be able to replace all of them.

Also, Google recently purchased Jibe to provide an RCS messaging app and it looks like Hangouts is going to still be around. And there is also Google Messenger.

There is way too much going on to figure all this out. LOL.

obembridge

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just waiting for the day that Allo gets launched. I like the idea of this app very much. Really want to test out The Google Assistant. The implementation seems very well done and very useful.

Just saw a post that Google changed the icons for Allo and Duo in the playstore today. Hopefully that means that it'll be out soon.

Just gotta wait and see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Queen Kong1

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Just waiting for the day that Allo gets launched. I like the idea of this app very much. Really want to test out The Google Assistant. The implementation seems very well done and very useful.

Just saw a post that Google changed the icons for Allo and Duo in the playstore today. Hopefully that means that it'll be out soon.

Just gotta wait and see.

Exciting cant wait to YELL at ppl :D

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Just gotta wait and see.

I noticed that too. Hope you're right and that a release is eminent.

shanezam203

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
On the subject, is there a targeted date for the app to be released and is there confirmation Google Voice will work with Alo or just email like Hangouts started out? I am curious if I can replace Hangouts with Allo.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
On the subject, is there a targeted date for the app to be released and is there confirmation Google Voice will work with Alo or just email like Hangouts started out? I am curious if I can replace Hangouts with Allo.

Google has said they are keeping Hangouts, for now.

As far as replacing Hangouts, do you use Hangouts for group video chats or the one on one video calling feature? They have a separate app coming called Duo for one to one video calling. However, I don't think it can be used for video group chats AFAIK

shanezam203

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Google has said they are keeping Hangouts, for now.

As far as replacing Hangouts, do you use Hangouts for group video chats or the one on one video calling feature? They have a separate app coming called Duo for one to one video calling. However, I don't think it can be used for video group chats AFAIK

I read about both Allo and Duo, I use Hangouts now on my phones for primary form of texting, rarely if ever phone calls or video chat.

Will Allo or Duo replace Hangouts and have some of the similar features to messaging as iMessage today and is Google Voice supported or is it @gmail.com only? does anyone know?

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/allo-duo-apps-messaging-video.html

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I read about both Allo and Duo, I use Hangouts now on my phones for primary form of texting, rarely if ever phone calls or video chat.

Will Allo or Duo replace Hangouts and have some of the similar features to messaging as iMessage today and is Google Voice supported or is it @gmail.com only? does anyone know?

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/allo-duo-apps-messaging-video.html

I think that is the goal to be similar to WhatsApp and FB messenger without having to jump back and forth between Google (Now) and the messaging app.

Google recently purchased Jibe, to expand their RCS messaging capabilites. Whether Allo is supposed to be the result of this, who knows?

Hangouts is going to be sticking around, for now. People still use it for group video chats

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'm going to switch over to it. I'm looking forward to trying something new. For me, it's not going to hurt anything. If it doesn't work out like I hope I could always go back or switch to something else.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'm going to switch over to it. I'm looking forward to trying something new. For me, it's not going to hurt anything. If it doesn't work out like I hope I could always go back or switch to something else.

i'm excited to try it. Looks like google might have something similar to imessage finally

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
When is this thing coming out? Google said summer and it's pretty much mid summer now. What's going on?

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
i'm excited to try it. Looks like google might have something similar to imessage finally

For sure. I mean, I have no problem with Google Messenger. I like it just fine. I didn't even have a problem with Hangouts. I used it for a long time before moving to Messenger. I believe the main reason I moved to Messenger was when Google actually encouraged everyone to move to Messenger (6 months ago or whenever). If Allo works the way I think it might, I'll move to it and probably never look back. It's not really going to matter too much though because I'll never get the people I communicate with on it. They will continue to use stock SMS I'm sure with no desire to move off or try anything new.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
For sure. I mean, I have no problem with Google Messenger. I like it just fine. I didn't even have a problem with Hangouts. I used it for a long time before moving to Messenger. I believe the main reason I moved to Messenger was when Google actually encouraged everyone to move to Messenger (6 months ago or whenever). If Allo works the way I think it might, I'll move to it and probably never look back. It's not really going to matter too much though because I'll never get the people I communicate with on it. They will continue to use stock SMS I'm sure with no desire to move off or try anything new.

I think you are supposed to be able to send sms through allo. From what I understand we will be able to message anyone in our phones even if they don't have it. I might be wrong but that's what I thought anyway

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
I think you are supposed to be able to send sms through allo. From what I understand we will be able to message anyone in our phones even if they don't have it. I might be wrong but that's what I thought anyway

I believe you are correct. That's the way I understood it also. I guess I was meaning that some of the folks I message with won't even try it to begin with, so they will probably won't see the benefit or see how "cool" it may be. I did the same with Hangouts. I just used the SMS feature to communicate with family, etc.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I can see it being a direct rival to Apples iMessage and the Duo app being a direct rival to Face Time. Either way I'm excited for the apps to be released

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463