Allo vs Pixel Assistant

QSZ06

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
How different (much better/worse/same) does everyone think the Pixel Assistant is than the Allo Google Assistant? I know, hard to say because not many Pixels in hands right now, but I am curious as to the differences. I just downloaded Allo and the Assistant seems to act and react similarly to what the Pixel Assistant did during the Pixel reveal.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The main difference is that Assistant has an interface designed around voice commands (though typing is possible) and speaks back with its voice, rather than typing a message to you.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have the Allo app yet. So the Allo app does not speak the replies to you, just text replies?
Yes, in Allo all of the interaction with the Assistant is through text. Allo is just a messaging app with the Google Assistant built in. You can have a conversation just the Assistant or you can ask the Assistant questions within a conversation with someone else, and everyone in the conversation sees the question and answer.

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I have been playing with Google Assistant in Allo quite a lot, and it seems to me to have significant limitations. It cannot cope with what was demonstrated by Google at the launch of the Pixel in Allo--and I don't mean speech vs. text. It already knows where I live and work, presumably because that it part of my Google profile. Here is what I considered to be a simple proposition, especially for a system that supposedly learns from interaction.

Me: How long would it take for me to get to [location]? (the location being my wife's place of work)
GA: Here is your route. It will take 11 minutes.
Me: Please remember that [Name] is my wife.
GA: OK. I will remember that.
Me: Please remember that my wife, [Name], works at [location].
GA: OK. I will remember that.
Me: How long would it take for me to get to my wife's place of work?
GA: Here are some results from the web: [various garbage].
Me: Where does my wife work?
GA: Here are some results from the web: [various garbage].
Me: Where does [Name] work? ('Name' being my wife's name, which I told it specifically to remember)
GA: Here are some results form the web: [various garbage].

As best I can tell, Google Assistant in Allo cannot learn, even when expressly asked to do so. Maybe I've got this wrong. (Please correct me!) Maybe it is not supposed to work this way, but that certainly is not the impression given at the Pixel launch event. Even with basic requests like asking it to save a reminder, Google Now performs better.

I have been using GA in Allo to try and gage if I think better integration as found in the Pixel would be worth the frankly criminal price tag, and the answer I have found so far is a resounding 'No.' That is, not unless GA in the Pixel use an entirely different AI altogether. As far as I can see from here, Google is just blowing smoke.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
This is good information. Thanks for sharing. In Google's defense, I think they have stated that GA will be more capable on Pixel than it is in Allo, but I agree with you that I want to wait and see just exactly what it can do before I pay the premium for a pixel.

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I use Allo for my messaging app on my pixel I just like how you can add it in as a group message pretty funny and cool. As far as GA I like it because it talks back.

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really found any use for Allo on Nexus 5X that cannot be done better using Now On Tap. Unless its integrated better with the entire system on a Pixel - with new functionality especially, then I don't really see a purpose for the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney