Nexus Q 2: Q Harder

payturr

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The Chromebook Pixel is to Google as the Nexus Q was to it - a good concept that was poorly implemented, draining company resources. The Pixel is absolutely beautiful, I like it, it has my favorite CPU onboard, its a nice machine and I would buy it - if it was 500$. Realistically, the 1300$ price point is too damn high. No consumer in their right mind would buy it, just developers, enthusiasts and Google die hards. For 1300$ you can basically get 3 of the ARM powered Samsung Chromebooks, or 4 Acer Chromebooks. Its just a horrible price point.
On top of that, at 1300$ you see offers from Intel (Ultrabooks) and MacBook Airs - products people would invest in over this. A display with a high res is what people like I love.. But it doesn't justify this price, especially since it uses an OS that isn't intensive enough to require a Core i5, and the lack of local storage. I don't care if it has 1TB of Drive storage, that isn't local storage, people want storage they can access when there's no internet. It's just bad, for 1300$ it should come with a 256GB SSD. There's no USB 3.0 connectivity which it SHOULD have considering it has a Core i5, and the fact it has a 5 hour battery makes it just a bad investment compared to those that preceded it.
The Chromebook Pixel is either a product that Google will cut prices & upgrade for to see great sales, or silently kill it like its older brother, the Nexus Q. I personally think the latter is going to occur, because its just not meant for the Chromebook market. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on the topic as well.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
And people with money to burn...the wealthy. I would sell my current Samsung 5 550 Chromebook for this in a heartbeat just to have illuminated keyboard, if the price was right.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Chromebook Pixel : Google :: Nexus Q : Google
thus Chromebook Pixel = Nexus Q

o_O

I kinda agree though. Though at least some people are buying it.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought the first gen of Chromebooks were really overpriced too. Much as I like my Samsung, I'm just not willing to spend much more than $300 for something that is so limited in an offline environment. That first gen got things solidified though and led to the lower priced machines we have now that make Chrome OS a viable choice. The Pixel might only be a hobbyist computer but I'm hoping some of the tech in it leads to the OS developing in a way that will put that higher end hardware to use.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
You're obviously not the target market either. While I agree in some aspects (USB 3.0 SHOULD be included as well as standard storage being 64 or 128GB SSD for non-LTE, simply for Linux dual booting storage space), I don't think you're seeing the justification because you don't have the use for a cloud -based device. My powerhouse is my desktop, and my 5 year old MBP has been trustworthy. With Chrome Remote Desktop, I am hoping that everything I need would be satisfied with the Pixel. I'm grabbing up a Samsung CB this week to hold me over until Google I/O to see what else is discussed, but this looks like a great replacement for my MBP. I would, however, agree with coming down a little in price. More-so around the $1000 price point for specs mentioned in a non-LTE version. It makes sense that it is so high at first though, have to charge more at first since it isn't building upon anything; it is a new design that was started from scratch, which requires more money.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey