Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
chromebook-pixel.jpg

A few quick impressions:
It's very fast (as it should be)
The screen is noticeably better than my "normal" laptop screen
Touch is a bit wonky on Chrome
Yes it is expensive. We understand you think it's not worth it. This thread is for questions, use one of the other threads to cry about it.
Yes I will be installing Linux on it when the review is done, and will post a walkthrough/how to of the process

I'll keep an eye on this thread and answer legitimate questions either here or in the review.

Come at me.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
How's the local/non-streaming video playback?

Do you notice the 3:2 aspect ratio?

theDL

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Seeing as how it is near Apple-expensive, does it feel like it has Apple-quality hardware and does the user-experience reflect that? From what I see it LOOKS very nice, but you never can tell.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Haven't tried any local media yet. I'll have to download some and see. Cloud streaming is as good or better than my Windows laptop.

LOVE the 3:2 AR. I have dual 4:3 monitors in portrait on my desk, and this makes me feel right at home.

Seeing as how it is near Apple-expensive, does it feel like it has Apple-quality hardware and does the user-experience reflect that? From what I see it LOOKS very nice, but you never can tell.

The build quality and hardware is as good or better than a new MBA. No fanboy talk, it just is. Everything is tight and it screams quality.
User experience is, well, it's like using a browser. I have to reflect on that a while.

theDL

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
For your money, if you weren't compelled to review it for your job, would you buy one? What kind of user do you see this aimed at?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have ordered the LTE version. Am I a fool? I love my Samsung 550 and thought what the heck....but I could buy a 13" Mac book Pro w/ retina for the same $$$$$

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Could you work solely from this machine/ChromeOS as-is?

Yes. I've been working all day on the Pixel. I notice the absence of Skype (as mentioned) and LightRoom so far, but was able to work around both.
If I were still writing code for a living, things would be different of course.

For your money, if you weren't compelled to review it for your job, would you buy one? What kind of user do you see this aimed at?

Not sure just yet. I'll be honest -- it's more money than I would like to spend on a laptop.

I have ordered the LTE version. Am I a fool? I love my Samsung 550 and thought what the heck....but I could buy a 13" Mac book Pro w/ retina for the same $$$$$

I don't think you're a fool. It's a premium product that is going to cost as much as it does because of the materials and parts it uses. Big touchscreens and ultra high res displays aren't cheap. You'll have to decide if it "works" for you to justify the cost.

1. Is the screen thicker than the macbook pro screen? what do you think?
2. does the laptop heats up when watching HD videos?

are you guys planning a giveaway? I dont mind having one :)

No MBP here to judge it against, but they are very similar in thickness. I would say about 3/16 thick.
No heating up yet, and I've watched a couple (including the demo included with the Pixel). But it's an i5 with no fan and intel4000 graphics. It's likely that it gets warm.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for giving us a bit of in progress review.

The launch of the Pixel convinced me to by a Samsung Chromebook to see whether I can make Chrome OS work for me. I figure $250 is a much better to play with than $1300. Are you finding the experience to be significantly better than previous Chrome OS devices you have used? Aside from some checker-boarding here and there, I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with the Exynos driven device.

Steve

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Downloaded a few 320k mp3 files and some 720p mp4 videos, plays them great. I thought I was downloading 1080p videos, but they weren't. I'll try again tomorrow when I have time.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for giving us a bit of in progress review.

The launch of the Pixel convinced me to by a Samsung Chromebook to see whether I can make Chrome OS work for me. I figure $250 is a much better to play with than $1300. Are you finding the experience to be significantly better than previous Chrome OS devices you have used? Aside from some checker-boarding here and there, I must say I have been pleasantly surprised with the Exynos driven device.

Steve

The processor on the pixel is overkill 99% of the time so far. But with a ton of tabs open, a video playing in the background, and a buttload of extensions and apps (I gotta play and try them ALL lol) scrolling is still buttery smooth. I've been able to choke other Chromebooks by working them like this, and even the Chromebox with similar specs they gave out at I/O last year would have got jumpy when scrolling.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have read reviews saying it is heavy, but doesn't the Pixel weigh the same as the Samsung 550 and that one is mostly plastic :) It's like reviewers are looking for something to complain about when really you will never see any other computer sell for less with the same materials. I can not wait to see what a 13" mac book air with Retina touch screen comes out with in terms of price tag and I bet the reviewers will love it.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Jerry is the touch screen seem like a software or hardware problem? Do you think it can be fixed with an update?

Or does it seem like a quality control issue they will have to fix. Which would really be a problem.:-\

Phosjaw

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Jerry,
Do you have any opinion on the significance or otherwise of the chrome Bugdroid statue on the Google campus now that the Pixel has been released? What can we expect at Google IO?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I have read reviews saying it is heavy, but doesn't the Pixel weigh the same as the Samsung 550 and that one is mostly plastic :) It's like reviewers are looking for something to complain about when really you will never see any other computer sell for less with the same materials. I can not wait to see what a 13" mac book air with Retina touch screen comes out with in terms of price tag and I bet the reviewers will love it.

It's a pound heavier than the Samsung. At 3.35 pounds it's 4 ounces heavier than a 13 inch MacBook Air.

Jerry is the touch screen seem like a software or hardware problem? Do you think it can be fixed with an update?

Or does it seem like a quality control issue they will have to fix. Which would really be a problem.:-\

I'm betting it's the software. Chrome OS didn't even have touch "enabled" until just a few months ago.

Jerry,
Do you have any opinion on the significance or otherwise of the chrome Bugdroid statue on the Google campus now that the Pixel has been released? What can we expect at Google IO?
No idea, but I'm really looking forward to it :)

Good news -- the review is done and will be posted after Phil does his editor work on it. Thanks for helping me figure this one out guys!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
It's a pound heavier than the Samsung. At 3.35 pounds it's 4 ounces heavier than a 13 inch MacBook Air.

I'm betting it's the software. Chrome OS didn't even have touch "enabled" until just a few months ago.

No idea, but I'm really looking forward to it :)

Good news -- the review is done and will be posted after Phil does his editor work on it. Thanks for helping me figure this one out guys!

Chromebook 550 Specs:
WEIGHT
3.3 lbs / 1.48 kg

Chromebook PIxel LTE
WEIGHT
3.35 lbs / 1.52 kg

So I think you thought I was talking about the Samsung 11.1 Chromebook, but it is the Samsung 550 that weighs .05lbs less than the Pixel. There is not a review out there that says the 550 is too heavy, but there are people complaining about the Pixel, just for the sake of complaining. :)

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice topic.

Is the only way to even try and tax this thing to open a ton of tabs and have crazy media playback?

What kind of apps or web services have you been throwing at it? Not to get in your business or anything, I'm just curious what kind of heavy lifting might be done. I only use my Samsung 3 for long winded forum posts lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Have you dual booted Linux yet? =D I have a 5 year old MBP and this with Linux dual boot is looking like a good replacement. Also, do you use Chrome Remote Desktop for anything that you're unable to accomplish on the Pixel?

Last edited:

Selden Deemer

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Linux on Pixel? AndroidCentral seems like an odd place to be asking this, but is there any interest on starting a thread on running Linux on a Pixel, specifically through using Crouton? I've been searching around, and perhaps it's because the Pixel is so new, and there are so few out in the wild, but there is very little information to be found. We know that Linus Torvalds has a Pixel, and is running a Linux distro on it, but there are always configuration tweaks when using Linux, and so far, I'm finding nothing on either the Linux Mint or Ubuntu forums. I'm agnostic with regard to Linux distros; just interested in finding one that works well on the Pixel, and has well-documented support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08