Does Chromecast Audio connect to a stereo receiver

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok all my expensive speakers are connected to my Sony stereo receiver that I only seem to use now for TV surround sound from my cable box. These speakers are 4 foot tall towers that are over 15 years old that cost me a lot of $$ back then. They still sound great but only have bare wire that connects and no mini-plugs. Since these speakers don't have power can I connect this Chromecast Audio to the Aux port of the Sony stereo receiver that powers these 5:1 speakers?

At some point in the Google Event today it did sound like Google was coming out with what sounded like wireless connections in the future but I wasn't sure how that would work.

Is this Chromecast Audio 2 channel or true 5:1 channel surround sound audio?

Last edited:

Bob Boulby

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation and would like to be able to plug the Chromecast Audio in to my Linn amplifier. I can't see why this wouldn't work as long as the Chromecast doesn't overload the amplifier input. It would be nice to receive some confirmation though.

Bob.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
For $35 I'm willing to give this a shot. All my speakers are connected to receivers... That's just the way it was done before Bluetooth Audio, eight? I figure I can spare an input in the living room and try it out.

Posted via the Android Central App

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Seems like the Chromecast Audio should be seen as any other input source.

Posted via the Android Central App

rich_lux

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Google has a help document answering this question. Unfortunately, I can't post links yet, so just google for "chromecast help 6280276" and it should be the top link.

Rich

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast Audio will work. It supports 3.5mm stereo connection as well as RCA and optical cable inputs.

You need to buy the cables if you want to use RCA or optical. it comes with 3.5mm cable connector included.

Ladeef

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Works great with my Yamaha receiver, the chrome cast audio has no amplifier, it's simply a signal source. Used sea 3.5 to Rica and you're all set make sure to enable high dynamic range

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a Yamaha receiver as well. (CRX-E300) I think my issue with the Chromecast Audio not working on it, is the speakers as well. I did a test with my Bose bluetooth speaker and it works great no problem. If i were to go the RCA connection route, which input would I need to have the receiver on, AUX or TAPE? Thanks for all the help in advanced!

rich_lux

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
If i were to go the RCA connection route, which input would I need to have the receiver on, AUX or Tape?

It depends on which input you are connected to on your receiver. The receiver should have audio input connections for each type (AUX, Tape, CA, etc.). You just need to plug your chromecast into one that is not already in use. When you want to use it, just set your receiver to which ever you plugged your chromecast into.

Rich

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Just doing a quick setup when I got home last night, ill be honest I did not spend a lot of time with it. But I plugged the provided cable into the phono jack. I am wondering if its because its an older stereo and my speakers are not powered independently. If I were to purchase the RCA adapter and plug it into the back of the receiver, would you think I would still have an issue with it working?

rich_lux

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not an expert on stereos, but I believe the phono jack is an OUTPUT jack. Which means sound is sent out through that jack. You need to plug it into an INPUT jack.

Rich

rrollar

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone, sounds like I will be picking up that RCA adapter, hopefully that will solve the issue I am having with the Yamaha stereo. If not, it still works great on my portable bluetooth speaker so thats still a win.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks everyone that it works with older stereo receivers with a RCA jack kit. Except no one has said if it is just Stereo or 5.1 channel? Does it support Dolby features? I still love those old optical cables with surround sound over simple stereo.

trinkdata

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What about a subwoofer? I have old but good computer speakers that have sub. When i connect the chromecast to the side of the speakers I am getting absolutely no base. Any ideas?

9512tacoma

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I think you are going to have to use some kind of surround sound processing to get anything beyond dual channels. Dolby pro logic II works great on my avr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool