Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Chromecast announced

Oh man, I'm excited about this. Who's with me? Streaming from just about any device to just about any tv.

Google announces Chromecast: Bringing Youtube and Google Play Music to your TV | Android Central
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Default Re: Chromecast announced

I am definitely buying this. comes with 3 months netflix which itself is worth $24

I have one on the way. 3-5 business days. I'm excited about this thing. Chromecasts for all the TVs! And the integrated power and volume TV control is underrated, that'll be a very helpful addition.

Just bought two of them. This thing is pretty f.ing amazing and for $35? Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by fabiosan View Post
    Just bought two of them. This thing is pretty f.ing amazing and for $35? Crazy.
    Yeah, Koushik Dutta posted his (rather accurate) thoughts on the Chromecast on Google+. Enabling streaming from all devices, including the desktop Chrome tab mirroring, is very important. And with the API they're providing, devs can jump onboard with their apps. I'm really looking forward to using this thing.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't it do pretty much everything the Q did (and more), but for 1/10th the price?
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't it do pretty much everything the Q did (and more), but for 1/10th the price?
    Very much right. And it allows for much of what Google TV does, except without the Honeycomb experience.
    Thanked by:

Its Nexus Q 2 but smaller and cheaper
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    Very much right. And it allows for much of what Google TV does, except without the Honeycomb experience.
    adding to that it now supports chrome, which is a huge deal!! before I don't think it was possible

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    adding to that it now supports chrome, which is a huge deal!! before I don't think it was possible
    Exactly. It's significant because it enables you to watch content available on the web on your TV very easily, bypassing the cable companies and their boxes. And because it'll just be cool and fun to use.

Awesome creation! Google is on the way to a huge win with this $35 little piece of total awesomeness
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    1,307 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So question???? If your phone dies during the playback does it continue playing what was on your phone or stop as well? The Q would download and play so all I have to do is get it started playing and its good to go.

I was only half paying attention to the demonstration; did they say you can stream to it with laptops through the Chrome browser, too? If so, does this mean you can also do the same via a desktop computer, or is it only laptops?

Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    I was only half paying attention to the demonstration; did they say you can stream to it with laptops through the Chrome browser, too? If so, does this mean you can also do the same via a desktop computer, or is it only laptops?
    you can do it with any windows, mac PC(laptop/desktop) with chrome on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckG73 View Post
    So question???? If your phone dies during the playback does it continue playing what was on your phone or stop as well? The Q would download and play so all I have to do is get it started playing and its good to go.
    The Chromecast streams directly from the source (i.e. YouTube, etc.) except when streaming a desktop Chrome window. They demonstrated the ability for the device to sleep, or leave the area, without disrupting current content. I'd assume that if your device dies, the current media will continue playing until it finishes and then just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by MRW1215 View Post
    Yep, through the Chrome browser on Windows, OS X, or Chrome OS. You'll hit the 'cast' button in the top-right next to the Settings button and where extensions' buttons are.

Global Posts
    740 Global Posts

Why is this better than Miracast? Doesn't a device with Miracast support do all this (and more) without needing an additional dongle?

Quote Originally Posted by kyleheney View Post
    Why is this better than Miracast? Doesn't a device with Miracast support do all this (and more) without needing an additional dongle?
    It's just as much about how it works as it is about what it can stream. The Chromecast streams directly from the source (i.e. Play Music, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) meaning your device is still fully usable while 'casting' content. The support for the desktop Chrome browser (Windows, OS X, Chrome OS) is also significant, as is the TV power, input, and volume control directly from the Chromecast.

They're two different approaches at displaying content on your TV. With Miracast and similar mirroring platforms, the content must be streamed to the device being mirrored.

I ordered one! Anyone know if I will be able to watch my Tversity movies from my desktop on it? I assume I'll have to wait for someone like Plex to update their app with a cast button...

Oh man, I'm excited about this. Who's with me? Streaming from just about any device to just about any tv.

Google announces Chromecast: Bringing Youtube and Google Play Music to your TV | Android Central
    Very excited!

I bought mine... 3 months off my Netflix equals out to almost $25 bucks... Makes the device even cheaper!

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbarnum View Post
    I ordered one! Anyone know if I will be able to watch my Tversity movies from my desktop on it? I assume I'll have to wait for someone like Plex to update their app with a cast button...
    You will have to wait for them to update their app...

They said for launch Google magazines, Google music, chrome, YouTube, and Netflix will be supported. Pandora soon in the future along with "others".

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Says coming soon on the Google play store anyone having better luck ordering one now?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by justmikey View Post
    Says coming soon on the Google play store anyone having better luck ordering one now?

I had no better luck than you. Does this mean they're already sold out? Do we have to do the same thing as we did for the Nexus 4 and get the app to tell us when it's back in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sid View Post
    I had no better luck than you. Does this mean they're already sold out? Do we have to do the same thing as we did for the Nexus 4 and get the app to tell us when it's back in stock?
    WENT THERE AGAIN A MINUTE AGO AND GOT IT!! Keep trying and you might get lucky too.
    Thanked by:
    justmikey likes this.

Worked. Just got mine!

Banned

Global Posts
    3,696 Global Posts

Well the Apple TV already kinda does this soooooo

Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast