Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By NealJ777
  • 1 Post By fabiosan
  • 1 Post By bearda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Wink That noise you heard...

... was my Roku jumping from the top of the entertainment center.
    yfan and Patrick Schroedl like this.

Default Re: That noise you heard...

My friends' Honeycomb-running Google TV just did the same thing.

I was about to buy the HTC tv mirroring dongle for my HTC One for $80 bucks. Thanks Google!
    mstrblueskys likes this.

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Haha I ordered 2 as soon as I heard them announce it. This thing is going to put all the streaming boxes (and probably a lot of the gaming boxes as gaming apps gain the ability to cast) out of business. But this is hella good for consumers.

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Haha I ordered 2 as soon as I heard them announce it. This thing is going to put all the streaming boxes (and probably a lot of the gaming boxes as gaming apps gain the ability to cast) out of business. But this is hella good for consumers.
    I don't think you're ever going to see gaming apps support this thing. Keep in mind you can't transfer content to the device, just pointers to content already on the Internet. This isn't screencasting or mirroring, just starting playback from the Chromecast device itself. I'm excited for it, but I have so pretty grounded expectations about what it can do,

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bearda View Post
    I don't think you're ever going to see gaming apps support this thing. Keep in mind you can't transfer content to the device, just pointers to content already on the Internet. This isn't screencasting or mirroring, just starting playback from the Chromecast device itself. I'm excited for it, but I have so pretty grounded expectations about what it can do,
    Well, I'm not a gamer so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here. But wouldn't you simply be able to play a game on your big screen (provided the app provided the controls on your phone/laptop) if a gaming app supports the Cast? If a game isn't a console exclusive - that is, it is also available for mobile devices - what would keep it from supporting ChromeCast?

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Well, I'm not a gamer so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here. But wouldn't you simply be able to play a game on your big screen (provided the app provided the controls on your phone/laptop) if a gaming app supports the Cast? If a game isn't a console exclusive - that is, it is also available for mobile devices - what would keep it from supporting ChromeCast?
    I haven't had a chance to play with it yet or really dig into the API, but from the sounds of things what can be displayed on the ChromeCast is pretty limited:

The Android device doesn't actually send content to the ChromeCast. It's not like a Nexus 7 game can render the graphics to be displayed and send them to the TV. It can only ask the ChromeCast to start streaming content that comes from somewhere else (like the Internet). You can make an app that combines things to be displayed on the ChromeCast with controls on the Android device, but the format of the TV display sounds like it would have to be pretty simple (think web app) and the communication between the two doesn't seem to involve a great deal of data transfer.

I may be reading too much into this, (and I'm sure developers will find interesting ways to work around the ChromeCast's limitations), but this is primarily a device that streams content from the Internet to a TV based on commands from a local device. It doesn't stream content from local devices.
    jimijames likes this.

You are using the assumption that it streams from your device to your tv which it doesn't do. The dongle streams the content from the servers not your device.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    ... was my Roku jumping from the top of the entertainment center.
    Until this can stream local content from my server, my Roku + Plex app won't be doing any jumping.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by lament View Post
    Until this can stream local content from my server, my Roku + Plex app won't be doing any jumping.
    Im with you there. Plex on my Roku 3 is a killer combo for local content. My Cable Box took a jump about a week ago, so my Chromecast will be just another tool in the Cable cutting arsenal. Im looking forward to it.

But who knows what the future holds for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lament View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    Im with you there. Plex on my Roku 3 is a killer combo for local content. My Cable Box took a jump about a week ago, so my Chromecast will be just another tool in the Cable cutting arsenal. Im looking forward to it.

But who knows what the future holds for this thing.
    dont know if this will help you

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    dont know if this will help you
    Neat! Well that shows that is possible. That means there is a decent chance it can be made into an official and clear function.

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kuykendallc View Post
    You are using the assumption that it streams from your device to your tv which it doesn't do. The dongle streams the content from the servers not your device.
    True enough, however, isn't it also true that your device acts as the controller even as content is being streamed directly to the dongle?

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

My Roku 3 is shaking for fear of its life and my Miracast adapter just hung itself with its own HDMI cord.

Sent from my Nexus 4
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I sold my Roku 2 HS and my Chromecast has an estimated delivery date of Wednesday.