Chromecast: Can you mirror the entire Chrome web browser on to the TV using Chromecast?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Or is the functionality only limited to video inside the webpages? If we can mirror the entire browser including the address bar etc. from a laptop, Chromecast will be a big threat to AirPlay and AirPlay mirroring. It would be awesome if we can do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: Can you mirror the entire Chrome web browser on to the TV using Chromecast?

According to the "Quick Start" video I saw on Amazon, it looked like the whole browser was mirrored onto the TV from laptop.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I briefly tried it last night. It mirrors the entire page. It is very laggy, but it is also in beta. I don't believe it had the address bar at the top.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

I briefly tried it last night. It mirrors the entire page. It is very laggy, but it is also in beta. I don't believe it had the address bar at the top.

They definitely explains the emphasis on Beta during the press conference, and something I had heard on "This Week in Google" about there being some fine print about that part of the experience requiring a "fast computer, and good wifi conditions".

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site

They definitely explains the emphasis on Beta during the press conference, and something I had heard on "This Week in Google" about there being some fine print about that part of the experience requiring a "fast computer, and good wifi conditions".
I should probably add I tried it on my Samsung Chromebook. Not sure if it would work better on a PC or Mac...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I should probably add I tried it on my Samsung Chromebook. Not sure if it would work better on a PC or Mac...
I would think the Samsung Chromebook would have no issues using this feature. Was it really buggy or for the most part useable?

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site

It was usable for the most part. Videos weren't great. The sound was out of sync and it would drop frames.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

It was usable for the most part. Videos weren't great. The sound was out of sync and it would drop frames.

The Google Support pages say Samsung Chromebook support as "coming soon." Have you tested the non-mirroring functions like casting YouTube and Netflix?

I have a friend with the Samsung and he's curious about the Chromecast.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Netflix and Youtube are very fast, absolutely no lag at all. When I tried Chrome Tab mirroring and Entire Screen mirroring on the first day, it was very laggy and video would just freeze and skip every few seconds. And then I read that you could change the option from 720p down to 480p. I did that and everything is smooth now. I guess I just don't have enough bandwidth in my WiFi or maybe my computer is too slow for 720p. I have watch a bunch of Hulu (free site) trailers and they look great and no lag. I am planning to upgrade my router to see if that would let me do 720p.

marcuscole

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Yes. Will 'cast your entire screen, but says that it is in "experimental" mode. Composing this reply on a laptop and watching my full screen on my TV. What I don't like about this mode is that "Google Cast is sharing your screen" box at the bottom of the LT and the Chromecast screen. Would like that to be an option to not have that box on the screen.

What's really cool is that I can 'cast the full screen, start a PPT slide show and it shows up. Would be nice as a Digital Sign driver to have a cheap laptop and multiple Chromecasts receiving the PPT slide show.

Now just remove the darned "sharing your screen" box.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site

The Google Support pages say Samsung Chromebook support as "coming soon." Have you tested the non-mirroring functions like casting YouTube and Netflix?

I have a friend with the Samsung and he's curious about the Chromecast.

I had read that too, but I also read (and can't remember where) that they added the Samsung Chromebook as a supported device but not the other ones (besides Pixel). Not sure where that info came from. I have not tried Youtube or Netflix from my Chromebook, but it does work just fine from my phone and tablet.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

This is going to be tough to do in the 2.4ghz range.

I know it's experimental, but I wouldn't expect much until Chromecast 2 with 802.11ac or N in the 5ghz range.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Netflix and Youtube are very fast, absolutely no lag at all. I have watch a bunch of Hulu (free site) trailers and they look great and no lag. I am planning to upgrade my router to see if that would let me do 720p.

Thanks for testing. How about Amazon Prime Instant Video? Full Hulu shows?

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

How about Amazon Prime Instant Video?

I was able to watch some APIV movies by Casting a tab from Chrome (a Swell Season documentary), but some content was deemed incompatible (an Episode of the Wonder Years, for example).

It's a bit hit or miss at the moment.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for testing. How about Amazon Prime Instant Video? Full Hulu shows?

I watched a few movie trailers on the free Hulu. They look pretty good on 480p. I am getting my new router this week and will see if it allows me to stream at 720p, but from what I read, it seems like very few (if any) are able to stream 720p on chrome tab.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I did the same thing. It was very laggy. I will try it with my HP today to see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Just an update. I got my new wireless router yesterday and replaced my old one. 720p chrome tab casting is still a no go. It does seem to do better as my screen did not freeze when I watched the entire Hunger Game Catching Fire trailer on Hulu, but it still skipped frequently. I guess 480p is the best I could do.

stretchymantis

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I believe because the videos are not transcoded when you just mirror vs Netflix, Youtube, etc... where they can transcode on the fly and send it to you. I just heard about Fling today, a java app that sends video directly to chromecast from your PC via VLC which is awesome! VLC does the transcoding = no laggy lag. :)