what's the point if I already have Smart TV, HTPC, Samsung MHL-dongle, and laptop hooked up to TV?

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I ordered the Chromecast because of the free 3 months of Netflix. I figured it's only $11,
considering that I already subscribe to Netflix anyway.

However, I kept thinking about it and couldn't come out with any possible reason that
I have for using the Chromecast.

I have a Samsung 50" Smart TV which is already capable of doing a LOT more.
Attached to the same TV is my HTPC. I also connect my laptop to my TV sometimes.
On top of that, I also have the Samsung MHL dongle that allows me to connect
my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone to the TV. Each one of these devices
allows me to browse with the Chrome browser and/or watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube,
as well as any streaming video(with or without Flash).

So... what is the point of the Chromecast... really? Oh well... it's only $11. :D

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Being able to connect chromecast to any tv is why I'm buying it. I have a smart tv downstairs that will do all of this but upstairs is nothing but "dumb" tv's. Being able to stream YouTube to a tv upstairs for my son will be a huge payoff.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Being able to connect chromecast to any tv is why I'm buying it. I have a smart tv downstairs that will do all of this but upstairs is nothing but "dumb" tv's. Being able to stream YouTube to a tv upstairs for my son will be a huge payoff.

Good point... I haven't thought of that. I rarely use my dumb TV for anything(except to make background noise in the bedroom or kitchen :) )

I guess the Chromecast is also handy, since I'm on the road a lot. Most hotel TVs are also dumb TVs with only HDMI inputs. (although only about 70 to 80-percent of the hotel TVs I've seen recently have HDMI inputs, either on the TV itself or via a connector next to the bed)

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess the Chromecast is also handy, since I'm on the road a lot. Most hotel TVs are also dumb TVs with only HDMI inputs. (although only about 70 to 80-percent of the hotel TVs I've seen recently have HDMI inputs, either on the TV itself or via a connector next to the bed)

Yep since it uses 2.4 WiFi hotels shouldn't be a problem. Way better then paying for movies on hotel prices!

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
after playing with the Chromecast for most of the afternoon, I have changed my opinion.

The Chromecase is indeed a very useful tool. For example, Netflix is much easier to
use on my phone(or tablet) and Chromecast, connected to my TV. I think it's because
I can navigate using the touchscreen on my phone/tablet. I couldn't do that with the
Netflix app on my Smart TV or PS3. Netflix is very enjoyable on the Chromecase!

bhemi73

May 11, 2012
Visit site
How is the buffer time for videos? I won't get mine until the 1st...:(

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
How is the buffer time for videos? I won't get mine until the 1st...:(

just as fast as my Smart TV or Playstation... in fact, I now prefer to use Netflix via Chromecast.
While I still think Google is the evil empire, I love them for inventing the Chromecast! :D :D :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800