1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what's the point if I already have Smart TV, HTPC, Samsung MHL-dongle, and laptop hooked up to TV?

I ordered the Chromecast because of the free 3 months of Netflix. I figured it's only $11,
    considering that I already subscribe to Netflix anyway.

However, I kept thinking about it and couldn't come out with any possible reason that
    I have for using the Chromecast.

I have a Samsung 50" Smart TV which is already capable of doing a LOT more.
    Attached to the same TV is my HTPC. I also connect my laptop to my TV sometimes.
    On top of that, I also have the Samsung MHL dongle that allows me to connect
    my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone to the TV. Each one of these devices
    allows me to browse with the Chrome browser and/or watch Netflix, Hulu, YouTube,
    as well as any streaming video(with or without Flash).

So... what is the point of the Chromecast... really? Oh well... it's only $11.

Default Re: what's the point if I already have Smart TV, HTPC, Samsung MHL-dongle, and laptop hooked up to T

Being able to connect chromecast to any tv is why I'm buying it. I have a smart tv downstairs that will do all of this but upstairs is nothing but "dumb" tv's. Being able to stream YouTube to a tv upstairs for my son will be a huge payoff.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: what's the point if I already have Smart TV, HTPC, Samsung MHL-dongle, and laptop hooked up to T

Quote Originally Posted by bhemi73 View Post
    Being able to connect chromecast to any tv is why I'm buying it. I have a smart tv downstairs that will do all of this but upstairs is nothing but "dumb" tv's. Being able to stream YouTube to a tv upstairs for my son will be a huge payoff.

Good point... I haven't thought of that. I rarely use my dumb TV for anything(except to make background noise in the bedroom or kitchen )

I guess the Chromecast is also handy, since I'm on the road a lot. Most hotel TVs are also dumb TVs with only HDMI inputs. (although only about 70 to 80-percent of the hotel TVs I've seen recently have HDMI inputs, either on the TV itself or via a connector next to the bed)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiersten_Kress View Post

I guess the Chromecast is also handy, since I'm on the road a lot. Most hotel TVs are also dumb TVs with only HDMI inputs. (although only about 70 to 80-percent of the hotel TVs I've seen recently have HDMI inputs, either on the TV itself or via a connector next to the bed)
    Yep since it uses 2.4 WiFi hotels shouldn't be a problem. Way better then paying for movies on hotel prices!

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yep since it uses 2.4 WiFi hotels shouldn't be a problem. Way better then paying for movies on hotel prices!

if you order pay-per-view movies in hotel rooms, you also get airline miles or hotel points!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

wait... does this mean the Chromecast can't receive 5.8 GHz wifi?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiersten_Kress View Post
    wait... does this mean the Chromecast can't receive 5.8 GHz wifi?
    Looking at the technical specs no. Unless someone who already has one can confirm otherwise.

I can confirm that it does not support 5GHz. It's 2.4 only unfortunately.
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by sevans View Post
    I can confirm that it does not support 5GHz. It's 2.4 only unfortunately.
    yes, just tried it myself... 2.4 only. just had to move my wireless router a little closer.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

after playing with the Chromecast for most of the afternoon, I have changed my opinion.

The Chromecase is indeed a very useful tool. For example, Netflix is much easier to
    use on my phone(or tablet) and Chromecast, connected to my TV. I think it's because
    I can navigate using the touchscreen on my phone/tablet. I couldn't do that with the
    Netflix app on my Smart TV or PS3. Netflix is very enjoyable on the Chromecase!

How is the buffer time for videos? I won't get mine until the 1st...

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

How is the buffer time for videos? I won't get mine until the 1st...

just as fast as my Smart TV or Playstation... in fact, I now prefer to use Netflix via Chromecast.
    While I still think Google is the evil empire, I love them for inventing the Chromecast!