Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast Software Update Taking A Long Time

Can anyone let me know how long it takes to update? I've had it updating for the past half an hour and it still shows it being at 0%. Has anyone else had this same experience? It seems very odd for this update to take this long.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Chromecast Update

At an hour and still at 0%

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts

If it's been an hour and still not doing anything, I think it's safe to assume that your Chromecast isn't going to update. I'm not sure what the proper course of action to take is though. Since you're one of the first (and few) people to own it, you may have to figure out a solution on your own...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I worried that might be what I'd have to do. Worst thing is no topics of this issue exist to lead me in any direction

Global Posts
    10,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    I worried that might be what I'd have to do. Worst thing is no topics of this issue exist to lead me in any direction
    Any luck? Remove the device, reset your WiFi router then try again.

If still no luck, then report back and we'll see if someone can get in here and provide some help.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Any luck? Remove the device, reset your WiFi router then try again.

If still no luck, then report back and we'll see if someone can get in here and provide some help.
    I've reset the router and am trying again.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Still at 0% after six resets of the Chromecast and a reset of the router. Very, very odd.

Global Posts
    10,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Are you able to connect the device and use it without updating?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Are you able to connect the device and use it without updating?
    There is no way of skipping the update. The Chromecast app leads you into it automatically. I'm going to attempt to set it up through my laptop and see if that works.
    srkmagnus likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Downloaded the Chromecast app (www.google.com/chromecast/setup) and set it up through my 2013 MacBook Pro and when it got to the software update screen it instantly started grabbing the update. Looks like, from my experience, that the Chromecast app for the phones/tablets have an issue setting up the device. I appreciate the help and I hope this gives some sort of direction for others who may have this issue.
    Thanked by:
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

mine never asked for one....
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by cammykool View Post
    mine never asked for one....
    Either some already had the update installed or it updated itself on its own after the fact.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,383 Global Posts

Weird. Yeah. I set up one on my MBA, and one from the HTC One. Both worked fine, no updates. Show us a pic of what it looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Weird. Yeah. I set up one on my MBA, and one from the HTC One. Both worked fine, no updates. Show us a pic of what it looks like?
    mine says software version 1.1.1, is this the old one or the new one?
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    This was my view for a bit. I learned to hate that colored ring very fast. Once it finally started to update, it was the greatest colored ring I'd ever seen. The ... after minutes I thought was a joke by Google saying "its FAR more then seven minutes."

Also an observation, I think it was initially supposed to be called Chromekey.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I was able to buy the last one in stock at one of my local Best Buy's (I say local because here in the Bay Area I'm 25 minutes away from 5 to 6 BB stores in any direction) and set it up in one of the upstair bedrooms. Used my Nexus 7 to configure it and the set up was instant. No updating the software or anything. I'm assuming my downstairs one was a first batch device with earlier software.

Quote Originally Posted by Explicit View Post
    I was able to buy the last one in stock at one of my local Best Buy's (I say local because here in the Bay Area I'm 25 minutes away from 5 to 6 BB stores in any direction) and set it up in one of the upstair bedroom. Used my Nexus 7 to configure it and the set up was instant. No updating the software or anything. I'm assuming my downstairs one was a first batch device with earlier software.
    looks like it!!! because the name chromekey was called at the very early stage of the device. maybe they slipped old software by accident
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    looks like it!!! because the name chromekey was called at the very early stage of the device. maybe they slipped old software by accident
    If I knew how to revert it back and had instructions on how to obtain the software, I'd do it to let anyone else check through it to see if anything interesting could be found.

So weird. Mine didn't ask for an update, either.

I just got my Chromecast a few days ago, worked fine for a couple of days and since yesterday I have the same problem, stuck at same screen 0%; it is a new chromecast; I have tried all options but even then it jumps to update screen and stuck at 0% (I have left it there for hours but no progress).
    Any solution that you found as the thread was initiated couple of months ago.
    Help appreciated.

Default Re: Chromecast Software Update Taking A Long Time

My Cromecast have now been updating for 4 hours and is on 29% then within the last 20 minutes it went up to 100%

How do you know if you are running the update or not?

This thread kind of died without any resolution... have any of you been able to get passed the update screen? I let mine go for a couple of hours last night and it never got passed 0%. I've done many factory resets, different usb cables, and I even called google. But they couldn't get past the 20 foot from router rule. So I am still stuck with a dongle that does nothing but waste my time.

Any help?????

Was having same problem. Came across this and bam! Working! I have an OLD Chromecast and after I clicked your link mine went through the updates too. I also went from my smartphone to my computer, wonder if that had anything to do with it but thanks!

Smile Re: ANSWER to Chromecast Software Update Taking A Long Time

If your update starts and then gets stuck (hangs) at xx% -- it means you are just beyond the signal strength limit for an update. I.e., if one really has the wireless router within 20 feet and line of sight, I'm pretty sure you won't get this hang.

My router was at 25 feet and through two ceilings.

Keep in mind, when just near the distance limit, something will work one minute and then stop working another.

So, my Chromecast update got stuck at 23%

A while later, it got 1% more and was stuck at 24%.

If you just unplug the power to the Chromecast unit, and plug it back in, it immediately tries to continue the upload and continues to fail.

But, rather than hauling my 1st floor TV to the 3rd floor router, I simply put my hand around the unit, and holding my hand there -- as additional "antenna" for the unit, I could then unplug the power to the Chromecast unit, then plug in the power, keeping my hand on the unit.

Magically, the % update went up about 1% every 5 or so seconds without any pausing.

Once it was at 100%, I let go, and now it says "ready to cast" on my TV monitor.

W. Curtiss Priest

Key phrases:
    Chromecast update stuck at 10%
    Chromecast update stuck at 20%
    Chromecast update stuck at 30%
    Chromecast update stuck at 40%
    Chromecast update stuck at 50%
    Chromecast update stuck at 60%
    Chromecast update stuck at 70%
    Chromecast update stuck at 80%
    Chromecast update stuck at 90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast