Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sevans
  • 1 Post By Phil Nickinson
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Initial chromecast tests

Credit to Amazon for fast shipping as my chromecast arrived early this morning. I'm still playing with it but wanted to answer some initial questions from people.

It works fine connected to an AVR instead of the tv. I'm using a Denon but most modern should work. Not exactly unexpected but several people had asked.

Hulu (web) doesn't work. I get audio via the cast tab of chrome but no video. In fact it appears none of the web videos can be sent via chrome. This may be that the network isn't fast enough. Ironically the help file says to try 5ghz but the chromecast doesn't support it. HBO Go is also unsuccessful.

Performance on Android (GN II and Nexus 7) are great with youtube, netflix and Music. Not much else to try yet. Chrome from Windows is clearly beta as they said as it's slow and buggy.

It doesn't support volume via hdmi so you can't change the audio on the receiver itself. You get a second volume control on the chromecast but once that reaches maximum it suggests you increase the volume on the receiver.

I didn't receive my Netflix code yet but for $35 - netflix discount it's a bargain. It does come with a short hdmi extension cable for those worried about port clearance. I didn't need it on mine.

Anything anyone else wants to see tested?

Default Re: Initial chromecast tests

Thanks for the update on the receiver.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Glad to have confirmation on AVR hookup. Thanks
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,042 Global Posts

I plugged mine into my Onkyo, too (where my Q was plugged in), so I wouldn't have to mess with my Harmony or AVR setup. Works perfect.
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I plugged mine into my Onkyo, too (where my Q was plugged in), so I wouldn't have to mess with my Harmony or AVR setup. Works perfect.
    what were you guys talking about on the news that it was time to shut off thw Q for the last time? in the "Goodnight Sweet Sphere" post.
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11

This one is going to be hard not to get. I have a Vizio Co Star, would love for these feature to come to Google TV, then I wouldn't have to update.

Question for anyone with both now, is it worth the $35 to have potentially redundant technologies?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by cammykool View Post
    what were you guys talking about on the news that it was time to shut off thw Q for the last time? in the "Goodnight Sweet Sphere" post.
    all supported NexusQ apps(music,Youtube,movies) has been updated to remove the feature. so basically NQ is useless but mind you it runs Android so you still can make it a useful android device.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcycle_monkey View Post
    This one is going to be hard not to get. I have a Vizio Co Star, would love for these feature to come to Google TV, then I wouldn't have to update.

Question for anyone with both now, is it worth the $35 to have potentially redundant technologies?

Cheers!
    Chromecast Coming To Google TV And Existing Hardware, Two Products Will Coexist Going Forward