Initial chromecast tests

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Credit to Amazon for fast shipping as my chromecast arrived early this morning. I'm still playing with it but wanted to answer some initial questions from people.

It works fine connected to an AVR instead of the tv. I'm using a Denon but most modern should work. Not exactly unexpected but several people had asked.

Hulu (web) doesn't work. I get audio via the cast tab of chrome but no video. In fact it appears none of the web videos can be sent via chrome. This may be that the network isn't fast enough. Ironically the help file says to try 5ghz but the chromecast doesn't support it. HBO Go is also unsuccessful.

Performance on Android (GN II and Nexus 7) are great with youtube, netflix and Music. Not much else to try yet. Chrome from Windows is clearly beta as they said as it's slow and buggy.

It doesn't support volume via hdmi so you can't change the audio on the receiver itself. You get a second volume control on the chromecast but once that reaches maximum it suggests you increase the volume on the receiver.

I didn't receive my Netflix code yet but for $35 - netflix discount it's a bargain. It does come with a short hdmi extension cable for those worried about port clearance. I didn't need it on mine.

Anything anyone else wants to see tested?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I plugged mine into my Onkyo, too (where my Q was plugged in), so I wouldn't have to mess with my Harmony or AVR setup. Works perfect.

motorcycle_monkey

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This one is going to be hard not to get. I have a Vizio Co Star, would love for these feature to come to Google TV, then I wouldn't have to update.

Question for anyone with both now, is it worth the $35 to have potentially redundant technologies?

Cheers!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
what were you guys talking about on the news that it was time to shut off thw Q for the last time? in the "Goodnight Sweet Sphere" post.

all supported NexusQ apps(music,Youtube,movies) has been updated to remove the feature. so basically NQ is useless but mind you it runs Android so you still can make it a useful android device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca