Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Benny879
  • 1 Post By Sailindawg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Netflix audio is only 2-channel stereo, not 5.1 when using Chromecast?

My SmartTV and PS3 can both get Netflix 5.1 audio. However, it appears that the Chromecast can only output Netflix audio in 2-channel stereo only....

Is there some setting that I need to change?

Thanks!

Default Re: Netflix audio is only 2-channel stereo, not 5.1 when using Chromecast?

My receiver picks up Dolby Digital Plus as long as the movie is encoded that way. If you press the text message bubble in the Netflix app during playback you can choose the audio format.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thanked by 2:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Default Re: Netflix audio is only 2-channel stereo, not 5.1 when using Chromecast?

I hooked up my chromecast to my 5.1 home theater system, streamed Netflix and had 5.1 sound. Moved chromecast to my bedroom and had 3.1 sound through that tv's AVR. Didn't need to do anything extra.
    Thanked by:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

So... are you guys using a digital out from your TV to your receiver and getting 5.1 when watching content on your Chromecast? Or are you using an HDMI out to your receiver? I guess this feature depends on whether or not your TV passes 5.1 through or just stereo. I believe my older Panasonic TH-58PZ800U "digital out" only passes 5.1 when using its internal tuner. With input signal from other devices, it only outputs stereo.

In my current system, I use individual audio our from each device (ATT Uverse Box, PS3, and old VCR) to my receiver. I'm not sure what I would do with audio from Chromecast.

In my case, I have at least 10 year old AVR receivers . The 5.1 system uses analog cables from the TV to the receiver. The same for the 3.1 system. Both receivers have Dolby surround. I guess the receivers are taking stereo sound and changing the sound to 5.1 or 3.1 versus receiving 5.1 directly by way of HDMI cable. It all works in the end.

Here is what happened with me:

2 different devices (Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus)
    Using Netflix, I used the movie "Super 8" as a test, since it has 5.1 audio normally.

When streaming on the Chromecast, initiated from the Nexus 7: only stereo, and that is my only selection option.
    When streaming on the Chromecast, initiated from my VZW Galaxy Nexus: I can select from stereo, or 5.1 DD+. The later gives me full surround sound.

Both devices have up-to-date Netflix apps. Both devices are stock, and not rooted.

EDIT: I reset everything, and it seems to be working now normally when initiated from either device.

What do you mean by "you reset everything?" What exactly did you reset? When choosing items on either my Nexus 7 or Galaxy S3 that are encoded in 5.1 audio, I never have a 5.1 option on either device. I've already done a factory reset on my Chromecast and nothing has changed. What exactly do I need to do?

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benny879 View Post
    My receiver picks up Dolby Digital Plus as long as the movie is encoded that way. If you press the text message bubble in the Netflix app during playback you can choose the audio format.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    OK. I give up. Where is a text message bubble during playback.? I can't find any such thing.
    Last edited by rickjs; 08-02-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickjs View Post
    OK. I give up. Where is a text message bubble during playback.? I can't find any such thing.
    In the Netflix app, on the top right should be a volume slider [during playback] .right next to that is something that looks like a speech bubble from a comic book. Tap it, and another window pops up audio/ subtitle /??? Options. Select the audio if there is a surround sound file available form the video it will appear here.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    In the Netflix app, on the top right should be a volume slider [during playback] .right next to that is something that looks like a speech bubble from a comic book. Tap it, and another window pops up audio/ subtitle /??? Options. Select the audio if there is a surround sound file available form the video it will appear here.
    Well, unfortunately I never have a surround option to choose from on titles that do show as 5.1. It seems like bitslop experienced the same thing. Wish I knew what he did to fix it.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    Yeah, but.....there aren't any "options"...just "audio" and "subtitle" plus "cancel" and "done". How do you get "options"? Or, does that mean this particular flix doesn't have "options"?

Quote Originally Posted by rickjs View Post
    Yeah, but.....there aren't any "options"...just "audio" and "subtitle" plus "cancel" and "done". How do you get "options"? Or, does that mean this particular flix doesn't have "options"?
    Tap audio and a new menu will pop up, it will list the options, even if there is only one. For example when my sons were watching Saved by the Bell last night only 2 channel stereo was available because the show was never broadcast in 5.1

To be clear I don't mean any thing labeled options just that there will be options to select from. Similarly for subtitle the options will choices be something like None, English, Spanish.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

I have the box up there near the volume slider however the choices are limited: Audio has "Spanish" or "English" and Subtitle has "None", "Spanish", "English [CC]"

That's it. So, I guess the question remains, how does one get the selection for 5.1 surround? Is it content dependent (i.e. the movie has to be available on Netflix with it)? Or do I need to update the app?

Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MSK59 View Post
    I have the box up there near the volume slider however the choices are limited: Audio has "Spanish" or "English" and Subtitle has "None", "Spanish", "English [CC]"

That's it. So, I guess the question remains, how does one get the selection for 5.1 surround? Is it content dependent (i.e. the movie has to be available on Netflix with it)? Or do I need to update the app?

Thanks,
    Mark
    That is where it will be.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

I had 5.1 working yesterday and, today, I can't get anything but stereo no matter what device I initiate from. This is very odd to me. I'm trying to figure out the cause...

Edit: I did a factory reset and that did not help. Using Super 8 like someone else mentioned, I was able to select the Dolby Digital audio track but it makes no difference. In fact, it was using this by default anyway. If I toggle the audio track between stereo and 5.1, the stream reloads but the receiver just stays in stereo mode. This is all very odd because I know that 5.1 was working yesterday when I was using the device in the exact same configuration. Could a software update have broken this feature? For what it's worth, I've tried initiating playback from my Windows 8 Chrome browser, my Evo 4G LTE, and an iPad. They all result in stereo only at this point. Dolby Digital is working fine on the Xbox, so it seems something is wrong specifically with the Chromecast...

Edit #2: ...And then it just started working again the next day. Quirky.
    Last edited by AaronTV; 08-05-2013 at 01:22 PM.

I am also having difficulty achieving 5.1. My receiver is an Onkyo and I am using the "direct" output, meaning it should play exactly as per the source (same as I have for Fios, where 5.1 on HDMI works fine). When I look at the display on the receiver when playing the movie (used Hunger Games to test since I know it is 5.1), rather than showing 3/2.1 as it would for 5.1, it shows "PCM fs 48kHz". Anyone have any clues? I am using an iPhone 4S to play netflix from the app and both the Chromecast and phone have full wifi signal.

New Chromecast, received 3 days ago. Same problem here on Netflix: 5.1 worked, then didn't, then did again. When it was not working, the only audio choice was English(Stereo), now the Audio choices (on this show):
    English(Stereo)
    English(DolbyDigitalPlus5.1)
    Spanish(Stereo)
    Spanish(DolbyDigitalPlus5.1)

I called Google, the first level claimed he had never heard of it. He put me on hold, found that others had heard but had no recommended solution. Claims a new software release to be pushed out next week....

Craig King over in this thread seems to have discovered part of the issue.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
    I am also having difficulty achieving 5.1. My receiver is an Onkyo and I am using the "direct" output, meaning it should play exactly as per the source (same as I have for Fios, where 5.1 on HDMI works fine). When I look at the display on the receiver when playing the movie (used Hunger Games to test since I know it is 5.1), rather than showing 3/2.1 as it would for 5.1, it shows "PCM fs 48kHz". Anyone have any clues? I am using an iPhone 4S to play netflix from the app and both the Chromecast and phone have full wifi signal.
    The CC seems to send DD+ or stereo PCM as a fall back. A direct playback with 5.1 PCM encoded channels like I think you are expecting would require the CC to decode the DD+ stream and it seems pretty clear it won't do that. Does your AVR have the ability to decode DD+. If it doesn't you may be stuck with Stereo only.

I am convinced at this point we need to get in the habit of always disconnecting from the CC when done. I don't seem to have issues as long as I am starting from the "Ready to Cast" display, and my receiver is already on.
    Last edited by Craig King; 08-15-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Quote Originally Posted by melvin7822 View Post
    Well, unfortunately I never have a surround option to choose from on titles that do show as 5.1. It seems like bitslop experienced the same thing. Wish I knew what he did to fix it.
    It isn't the same as you as he was getting 5.1 under some circumstances, so far every post I have seen from you hasn't. I still am curious as to what exact AVR you have. You never answered that question from the other thread. The example you gave for how you validated it supports DD+ was invalid, so knowing what AVR you have would really help in understanding your situation.
    Craig

I just had a fun conversation with Netflix support. I wanted to dig into this a bit deeper with them.

I found a show that when loaded showed 5.1 as the audio. But didn't present any multi-channel stream, just stereo. It occurred to me that the show predated Dolby Digital Plus by a few years. This ment it had to be encoded in the older Dolby Digital 5.1 originally. I contacted support at Netflix and managed to get them to contact a engineer. The conversation was fairly interesting. The long and short of it is that they will stream whatever audio format they have be it stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus.

From early on I have suspected that the Chromecast hasn't been handling Dolby Digital 5.1 at all. With the above understanding of how Netflix handles their formats it is reasonable to believe that some of Netflix's 5.1 content won't stream in 5.1 if my suspicions are right.

So I guess my question is has anyone that has gotten 5.1 audio from the CC seen Dolby Digital 5.1 as the encoded audio stream. I am going to try some movies and see what I find but so far the only multi-channel format i have seen work is DD+
    Craig

Now that you mention it, I've only seen DD+ appear on the receiver thus far.

Posted via Android Central App

Yea. after I posted that last night i just sat down and tired at random various content. I could't get netflix to stream the older Dolby Digital 5.1 , but at the same time I also didn't run into another occasion where 5.1 didn't come down when the content was marked as supporting it. I did find quite a bit that pushed Dolby Digital Plus, but not all by any means.

The example I found that didn't work was Eureka. The interesting thing about it was it appears the first season doesn't have a 5.1 stream, yet when i jumped to the last season my AVR did detect a DD+ multi-channnel stream. In the conversation with Netflix, the engineer gave the impression that TV shows in particular are prone to having this issue as i guess not all of the the content may have multi-channel encoding.
    Craig