can anyone help me figure out why PC to Chromecast looks terrible?

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried it from my PC (Win 7, Intel i7 six-core, overclocked to 4GHz, 8GB ram,
NVidia GTX680 2GB graphics card, 240GB SSD, ) and still got pretty bad results.

I open up the Chrome browser from the PC and the picture stutters and there's a
huge lag. The PC is connected via ethernet directly into the wireless router.
The router is next to the TV with the Chromecast plugged in. It's basically
unusable. Even simple browsing generates a 3 to 4 second delay.

What am I doing wrong? :(

The Chromecast does work flawless for Netflix, YouTube and Google Movies.

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this is why they list it as still being in beta. Performance on mine is very poor as well. 2.4GHz networking doesn't help but it's worse than I expected.

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
From another thread here it sounds like the tab mirroring involves a round-trip through Google. If that's the case, then interactive stuff like browsing is going to depend heavily on the latency of your connection to Google, much more so than on the speed of the connection. On the other hand, something "linear" like watching a video would be more dependent on the data transmission speed and much less on the latency. Are you able to watch videos with any success?

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
2860979824.png

That's my current connection and it's still so laggy that you can't really use it. Video is roughly a frame every 2-3 seconds. Browsing is better but still a several second delay.

Youtube and Netflix via Android look great on the chromecast though. I think PC->Chromecast is just an early beta at best.

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2860979824.png

That's my current connection and it's still so laggy that you can't really use it. Video is roughly a frame every 2-3 seconds. Browsing is better but still a several second delay.

Youtube and Netflix via Android look great on the chromecast though. I think PC->Chromecast is just an early beta at best.

I recently went from upgraded from 10mbps($50/month) to 30mbps($80/month).
To be honest, I can't notice any different for 99% of the websites. Will probably
go back down to 10mbps again soon. Even Netflix at 1080p streaming doesn't
even require more than 5mbps to 7mbps, from what I've read. :)

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I saw somewhere that disabling hardware acceleration in Settings->Advanced Settings helped. I think it was on a Mac but worth a shot since it's easy to change.

BTW, that's some hellish connection you've got there, I'm getting by on a 3 (really about 2.4) Mbit DSL line here. I'm such a cheapskate. :)

sevans

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Best part about that connection is it's only $45/month. I believe they're only in San Francisco but for anyone in the area I definitely suggest you check out Webpass. Fantastic ISP.

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I saw somewhere that disabling hardware acceleration in Settings->Advanced Settings helped. I think it was on a Mac but worth a shot since it's easy to change.

BTW, that's some hellish connection you've got there, I'm getting by on a 3 (really about 2.4) Mbit DSL line here. I'm such a cheapskate. :)

I'm giving up for now... just borrowed my neighbor's new laptop and it still looks awful. if a new $3000 laptop can't do it, I guess it's time to switch to Macs. :(

djstarion

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I'm not really expecting perfect tab casting results right now, but as time goes I'm sure it will get better. I haven't tried much but I did try it with the Big Brother live feeds on CBS.com and it was really jumpy.

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Try to lower the output resolution on the Google cast extension. I'm pretty sure it is defaulted to 720p. I lowered mine to 480P (I know, I know, it sounds horrible but it actually looks pretty good), and it streams content from my NAS FLAWLESSLY!

On a side note, I am now able to watch 3D content (along with ANYTHING else) streamed from my NAS when I was unable to do so before...the DLNA for this particular TV (Vizio) didn't support many file types for wifi playback.

I can only imagine when the Google cast extension moves out of beta how much the quality will improve.

badsubby

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I mirror on 720p extreme without lag (videos are choppy with full experimental mirroring of desktop, tab is flawless). Running first gen i3 laptop with a Linksys router and Comcast 12mbps.

jmickus

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old thread...but this issue has been fixed with the Chrome extension! There was a known problem with all laptops with switchable graphics. It's fixed, and everything works great with 720p now (from a cast tab)

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
still doesn't work properly .. whether I'm trying it with my PC or laptop. :(

I know that casting a tab is dependent on your comuter's hardware, so more powerful hardware will do better. I've got a quad-core i7 with an Nvidia GTX 670MX and 8 GB RAM and although it works good most of the time, I still get suttering and lag. On my chromebook or my wife's Core i3 laptop, it is almost useless.

Jason Girkin

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
:'( :'( :'(
Australia sucks! My MAXIMUM streaming capabilities are 3mbps (less than half of my speed from my last place). I average 300kbps download and ~25kbps upload. Worst of all, I'm paying $100 a month for that [edited by mod]
Tony Abbott makes me cry.

Also, my Chromecast streaming is choppy too. Even when dropping the video quality down to 480. I'm doing the whole 'open mp4 in chrome and stream' kind of use. Same as you though, youtube works fine in 1080p. It's weird, because the videos it struggles with, come from my computer. It doesn't even need to pull it from the web. It's right there :/ DAFUQ :confused:
I'm working with a basic MacBook, 2010 model, 2.4ghz intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram (1067mhz DDR3) running mavericks OSX 10.9.4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa