Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Traveling with Chromecast

Below is pretty much what I did..... works teriffic...
    Share Wi-Fi in Windows 8 with Internet connection sharing (ICS) - 4sysops
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 04redgto View Post
    Below is pretty much what I did..... works teriffic...
    Share Wi-Fi in Windows 8 with Internet connection sharing (ICS) - 4sysops
    Nice, thanks! I didn't think my 3 yr old laptop was capable of such tricks, but it worked. I haven't tried it out with my Chromecast yet but if it works with the CC it would make unnecessary the need for a travel router.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhound View Post
    Nice, thanks! I didn't think my 3 yr old laptop was capable of such tricks, but it worked. I haven't tried it out with my Chromecast yet but if it works with the CC it would make unnecessary the need for a travel router.
    Absolutely!!

All these ideas with virtual routers probably work but in the end that would take forever and even when you get it working it wouldn't be worth it by then

Posted via Android Central App

The virtual AP aka Soft AP method works, but often becomes problematic if you have to connect to a VPN, so not recommended for work laptops.

Default Re: Traveling with ChromeCast

That's the way I am connecting. Use my 4g phone to broadcast a hotspot and a "dumb" wifi only tablet to control
    the CC module. I read on a tricks site a while back that you can play stored videos from your phone to the CC
    via a direct link somehow through Chrome. Might be on interest as it does not use internet then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan29466 View Post
    On any hotel network where you can see your Chromecast, I will be able to see your computer and do all sorts of naughty things to it, and I will be able to access your Chromcast and cast all sorts of naughty things to it. You don't want that. Probably.

You need one of these ZuniConnect Travel IV
    When you get to the hotel:
    1) Plug in an ethernet cable from your computer to the ZuniConnect
    2) Your computer treats the ZuniConnect as another wifi adaptor. Use it to connect to the hotel's wifi and go through their username/password/hitOK login procedure.
    3) You can now unplug your computer from the ZuniConnect and the ZuniConnect will function as a wifi router which you can connect to with your phone, tablet, Chromecast, whatever. The ZuniConnect will use the hotel's wifi to give you internet access.

Done. You now have your own, private wifi network that uses the hotel network for internet access. This is also really useful when you find a hotel that charges $10/night/device. Connect with the ZuniConnect and the hotel only charges you once even though you have laptop, phone, and tablet all connected.

Dan

I have never been to a hotel that charges per device, they charge per room. Per device is rare. And I doubt its worth nearly 2 times the cost of the Chromecast for the functionality it delivers, unless you need it for other reasons.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

I recently used a method in my hotel that lets me use my Chromecast with my phone's WiFi hotspot, but without racking up massive data downloads. I pre-loaded my Nexus 7 tablet with several TV shows I wanted to watch. Then I turn on my phone WiFi hotspot and connect the Chromecast to it using the tablet to configure it. After that I use the Avia app to cast the local content to the TV. Works great and no data charges.

The weakness of this method is that you need two devices to make it work. The phone disables WiFi when the hotspot is on, so it can't configure the Chromecast.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12