• 2 Post By ktmgator38
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast Can Cast Your Entire Desktop Screen Too, Not Just Tabs

Once again folks Chromecast is proving to be an awesome device

Thanked by:
    pcdebb likes this.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

Default Re: Chromecast Can Cast Your Entire Desktop Screen Too, Not Just Tabs

From the comments (and my own personal experience) this might be a OS-X only feature at the moment. Does anyone on Windows get the "Cast entire screen" option?

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I have that option on my Linux chrome but haven't checked windows.
    pcdebb likes this.

Confirmed to be working on Windows Chrome Extension
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chromecast Can Cast Your Entire Desktop Screen Too, Not Just Tabs-windowswholescreen.png  
    pcdebb and paulmike3 like this.

ROM
    Stock

Very interesting! So now Chromecast is officially a much cheaper alternative to Intel's wireless display!

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

okay, this is hot. I really want one now!

As cool as it is, it is nowhere close to wi-di. It has really really bad lag when it's casting a tab. The videos I've watched (Youtube and netflix) are great quality, no artifacting, and no lagging. The tab casting is a completely different story. Hopefully they can fix that all.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

I should really pick one up. I'm so sick of having to plug in my S3...

Casting entire desktop? How are you doing that?

I have windows 7. 64-bit if that matters. And I just downloaded the Chrome cast extension for the desktop Chrome yesterday. I can only cast individual tabs. I don't see that "cast entire desktop" option.

EDIT: ok, now I see it. You have to click the little triangle to select it. Cool. The resolution is 720p instead of my desktop resolution 1080. But kind of a neat feature. Hope they get it working at 1080.

I don't have that option on Mountain Lion.

Either do I in Mountain Lion. Bummer.

Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

Im on Mountain Lion and its there. Its the little downward facing triangle thingie..top right of the extension. Click around, its there.

P.S. And while tab casting works pretty good. Desktop casting...on my 2010 iMac, no bueno. Lots of beach ball twirling.

Nope not there

Quote Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
    Im on Mountain Lion and its there. Its the little downward facing triangle thingie..top right of the extension. Click around, its there.

P.S. And while tab casting works pretty good. Desktop casting...on my 2010 iMac, no bueno. Lots of beach ball twirling.

SO i had a question, i can cast the entire desktop however is there a way to multi task while doing that.. so far example i wanna play a movie and also work on desktop.. I know if i do tab casting i can Alt+Tab and continue doing other work however since screen casting shows your current screen this wouldn't work... Any one has any ideas?

I tried installing Dexpot which creates multiple virtual desktops however chromecast will pick the desktop i move to, hence rendering this solution ineffective.. I guess VM's might be another way.. Any other suggestions will be appreciated..

Why cant we cast from Chrome on Android? What's up with that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromecaster View Post
    SO i had a question, i can cast the entire desktop however is there a way to multi task while doing that.. so far example i wanna play a movie and also work on desktop.. I know if i do tab casting i can Alt+Tab and continue doing other work however since screen casting shows your current screen this wouldn't work... Any one has any ideas?

I tried installing Dexpot which creates multiple virtual desktops however chromecast will pick the desktop i move to, hence rendering this solution ineffective.. I guess VM's might be another way.. Any other suggestions will be appreciated..

Quote Originally Posted by Chromecaster View Post

The only solution is to use two monitors.