Can't get audio onto tv

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a 2011 macbook air and the video playback is fine but there isn't any audio. Doesn't anyone else experience this? Happens with both Netflix and Vudu that I've tested so far.

Edit: Sound isn't working when I'm sending from my Galaxy S4 either... Maybe my 4 year old HDTV doesn't support this thing? Apple tv works just fine.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue but only when I'm trying to mirror a Chrome tab. From my S3, Nexus 7 and Youtube, the audio is working. But if I try to stream from a Chrome tab, I get video but no sound.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying to cast a video via a Chrome tab or via an app? My TV is four years old, too, and it works just fine when it comes to pulling up videos and casting them via apps.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to sound like a smart a, but is the volume up on the device/computer you are using it with? the volume on your device/computer controls the audio.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not trying to sound like a smart a, but is the volume up on the device/computer you are using it with? the volume on your device/computer controls the audio.

Yup, that's one of the first things I checked. When I cast from a Chrome tab, the audio from both my computer and TV are muted. Once I stop casting, the audio from my computer resumes.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that's one of the first things I checked. When I cast from a Chrome tab, the audio from both my computer and TV are muted. Once I stop casting, the audio from my computer resumes.

I figured you tried just only thing that came to mind. I don't even have one yet was just trying to help.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What brand of TV? The reason I ask is the Nexus 10 had/has audio problems with the HDMI out to a specific brand of TV [Panasonic?].

cconner94

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This same issue was reported by others trying chrome tabs with Amazon Prime videos and others. See the "Chromecast supported apps" thread. No fix that I've heard of, but I bet they're working on it!

David Mills

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
There is still an audio issue with panasonic via HDMI, no audio via chromecast.

Pretty sad this still isn't resolved, oh well off to ebay to sell my chromecast

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'd feel better about the sound not coming from the computer if it would come through the Netflix app on my phone but it doesn't. My T.V. is an Element.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Eric Read

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I have no problems with netflix and chromecasting hulu. I get video and audio, both from a Nexus 7 (both netflix app and chrome) and Windows chrome.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
My 2010 MAC is casting just fine but with certain videos i don't get audio coming out of the tv either. It works as advertised otherwise.

tillerrw

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an old Panasonic plasma HDTV and haven't had any issues using the Chromecast with my S3 or N7 (1st gen). I have had mostly success using Google Cast from my Chrome browser. On espn.com the video is choppy. On Amazon the instant video doesn't show up at all, just the webpage the video plays from. On hulu.com I haven't had an issue yet. I really like using Google Cast from the Chrome browser for youtube.com. You can access videos that aren't available on mobile devices and the quality is great.

David Mills

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I went into advanced audio and changed the hdmi input to digital and it worked :) So i now have sound on my chromecast via older Panasonic HDTV

Im not sure if this resolves the Nexus 10 hdmi sound issues

Last edited:

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I went into advanced audio and changed the hdmi input to digital and it worked :) So i now have sound on my chromecast via older Panasonic HDTV

Im not sure if this resolves the Nexus 10 hdmi sound issues

Can you walk me through what you did? Which OS are you using?