Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DreamSTi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Question Does chromecast work if your device is connected on a 5ghz network?

According to the chromecast's specs on the Google play store, it only functions on 2.4ghz wireless networks. My question is, if your control device is connected to a wireless network broadcasting on a 5ghz band, will the device still be able to connect to the chromecast?

The reason I ask is, I have an Intel wireless display laptop that connects to my home network on the 5ghz band, but the netgear adapter that connects to my television only operates at 2.4ghz. So, to get the wireless display to work, I have to reconnect my laptop to my 2.4ghz band to get the two devices to recognize each other.

I'm curious whether the chromecast requires this extra step as well. My guess is that it doesn't because the chromecast is pulling down content on its own, not from the device controlling it. Hopefully someone can confirm!

Thanks all!

Default Re: Does chromecast work if your device is connected on a 5ghz network?

I have a dual-band Asus router (2.4 & 5Ghz) with my Android phone on the 5Ghz and the Chromecast on the 2.4Ghz. The only thing that happened was I got a warning dialog with "okay/cancel" buttons. I clicked "okay" and everything worked fine.

Edit: To be a little more clear, I performed both the setup and casting on the 5Ghz on my Nexus 4 with the Chromecast on the 2.4Ghz both bands broadcasting from a single Asus router.
    Last edited by WwonderLlama; 07-27-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Clarification

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I believe it works as long as they are on the same VLAN. But i could be wrong and havent taken the time to test.

It works from my wired network to the chromecast that's why I think its based off vlan.

**Update**

Changing the wireless settings from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA2-PSK [AES] on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands solved my connectivity problems.

My Chromecast is trying to connect on the 2.4 Ghz band, but it still isn't able to connect. I sent an email to Google's tech support two days ago and still haven't heard back from them.

I'm about ready to surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by WwonderLlama View Post
    I have a dual-band Asus router (2.4 & 5Ghz) with my Android phone on the 5Ghz and the Chromecast on the 2.4Ghz. The only thing that happened was I got a warning dialog with "okay/cancel" buttons. I clicked "okay" and everything worked fine.

Edit: To be a little more clear, I performed both the setup and casting on the 5Ghz on my Nexus 4 with the Chromecast on the 2.4Ghz both bands broadcasting from a single Asus router.
    Last edited by Joanne Eckert; 07-28-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Resolved
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Eckert View Post
    My Chromecast is trying to connect on the 2.4 Ghz band, but it still isn't able to connect. I sent an email to Google's tech support two days ago and still haven't heard back from them.

I'm about ready to surrender.
    Thanks for sharing this. Do you think the problem is due to using a control device on the 5ghz band?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Eckert View Post
    **Update**

Changing the wireless settings from WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] to WPA2-PSK [AES] on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands solved my connectivity problems.
    Interesting! So it was an encryption issue it sounds like. Thanks for the update!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

To answer the OP's question, on a typical home router setup, both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands as well as any wired devices are still on the same network, so no, it should not matter at all. Remember, your control device and the Chromecast dongle aren't speaking to each other directly over wifi...each device relays ALL network traffic to the router, which then sends it to it's intended target, whether that be another device on your network or out to the Internet.

So unless you've setup VLANS and/or different subnets for your home network in a more complex setup than most routers even support out of the box, you'll be fine.
    Thanked by:

The Chromecast does not support 5ghz wi-fi.
    andr0idralphie likes this.

Hello
    Got the same issue with my ASUS RT-N13U router(only 2.4 Ghz). Worked fine when changing to TKIP+AES enchryption. Is this a Chromecast problem or is it a ASUS router problem?
    My understanding is that AES only is more secure compared to use TKIP+AES therefore I should would prefer it to work with AES.
    Thanks alot for the valuable information

WPA2 only offers AES because the AES+TKIP option doesn't use both encryption options [concurrently] but falls to TKIP when an AES connection cannot be established, WPA2, meant to be more secure, only offers AES. TKIP is second generation WEP and is still the easiest to crack from what I've read.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~
    pxa

Quote Originally Posted by andr0idralphie View Post
    WPA2 only offers AES because the AES+TKIP option doesn't use both encryption options [concurrently] but falls to TKIP when an AES connection cannot be established, WPA2, meant to be more secure, only offers AES. TKIP is second generation WEP and is still the easiest to crack from what I've read.
    On my AVM Fritz!Box7390 is an option "Allow wifi devices to communicate with each other." Maybe that is a solution. I could not sent print orders to a wifi connected printer from a laptop over WLAN.

Anyway, it is sad to hear Chromcasts do not support 5 GHz WLAN.