Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Default Re: I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

Ok, Even though I might have bought the thing anyway it would have been nice to know it would not cast from my Galaxy s3 chrome browser before I bought it. It is not enough for Google to just say it will cast from Chrome without making it clear that does not include Android (Google phone's) versions of Chrome. You should not chastise people for complaining when by Google was deliberately misleading in their Chromecast advertising. Hope is this is one of the things they are currently working on.

Quote Originally Posted by radyoactive View Post
    Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Seriously, there are still some things that need to be worked out and new features to be released, this is just the tip of the iceberg. You're screaming like you got ripped off. Even if you didn't get the free 3 months of Netflix, this is very nice piece of technology for $35

Quote Originally Posted by realestatedan View Post
    Ok, Even though I might have bought the thing anyway it would have been nice to know it would not cast from my Galaxy s3 chrome browser before I bought it. It is not enough for Google to just say it will cast from Chrome without making it clear that does not include Android (Google phone's) versions of Chrome. You should not chastise people for complaining when by Google was deliberately misleading in their Chromecast advertising. Hope is this is one of the things they are currently working on.
    On the Chrome page in the Play Store it states:

"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, Chrome for Windows, and Chrome for Mac. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You won't have to learn anything new."

Note, it only says Chrome for Windows and Chrome for Mac. It does not say Chrome for mobile devices.

Having said that, I am sure they are working on getting it to work with the app as well as additional apps not mentioned yet.

Interestingly enough, they also do not mention Chromebooks. Anyone try that yet?
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Interestingly enough, they also do not mention Chromebooks. Anyone try that yet?
    I believe early on some tried it and weren't having varied success. It was pretty much because the devices were simply not powerful enough to do it. I think someone with a Pixel was able to do it though.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Chrome for Linux works. I'm able to cast web sites (hulu.com) from my Linux Mint desktop that's hard wired to the router. I'm pleased but surprised that it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post
    I believe early on some tried it and weren't having varied success. It was pretty much because the devices were simply not powerful enough to do it. I think someone with a Pixel was able to do it though.
    I think the next generation that will use the new bay trial processors will probably work.

"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, Chrome for Windows, and Chrome for Mac. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You won't have to learn anything new."

So... why doesn't it work with my Android tablet (Nexus 7)?
    I can't send Chrome browser tabs from my Nexus 7 to Chromecast.
    I can send Chrome browser tabs from my MacBook Air to Chromecast but it is terrible! (slow refresh, stutter, disconnects frequently, etc.). I have good LAN connections.
    This device is not ready for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Spohr View Post

So... why doesn't it work with my Android tablet (Nexus 7)?
    I can't send Chrome browser tabs from my Nexus 7 to Chromecast.
    I can send Chrome browser tabs from my MacBook Air to Chromecast but it is terrible! (slow refresh, stutter, disconnects frequently, etc.). I have good LAN connections.
    This device is not ready for anything!
    The device does exactly what it was advertised to do. It works on your tablet/smart phone [google music, Netflix, Youtube] Note it does not claim to cast from Chrome for Android.

As for your problem with your MAC book air , there is a thread in this forum that might contain some help.

How to get Chrome tabs to play nice with Haswell Macbook Air (2013)

Chromecast lagging my Macbook pro big time
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Thanks for the references for the MacBook Air... I'll take a look.
    As far as your statement that "it does exactly what it was advertised to do"... this is just wrong.
    I just copied this from the Chromecast page:
    "With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite online entertainment on your HDTVmovies, TV shows, music, and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome. "
    "Everything you love, now on your TV. "
    " Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; "
    It says it works with Chrome on Android 2.3+.
    I assume that they will some day get it working on Chrome and Android since they advertise that it works but it certainly is a "pre-beta" (alpha) product that they should just give away to all of us "testers" until they can get it to work.
    Right now, on my Nexus 4 and 7, I can only use it for paid content... that may be their goal but it is not mine.

As far as your statement that "it does exactly what it was advertised to do"... this is just wrong.
    "With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite online entertainment on your HDTV—movies, TV shows, music, and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome. "

and in the following paragraph on the same page you quoted it clarifies the above statment with:

"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android tablets and smartphones, iPhones, iPads, Chrome for Mac and Chrome for Windows. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your device. You won't have to learn anything new. "

Emphasis Mine

If it included all versions of Chrome it wouldn't need to spell out for Mac or for Windows.

In short it does exactly what it was advertised to do.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

I just don't know what to say. You have managed to read something between the lines that just isn't there. It would be more honest for Google to just say that you can't use it to stream the web on Android devices.
    You seem like a sucker for sleazy advertising and I imagine you fall for all that late night advertising and miracle cures.

Thanks for the references for the MacBook Air... I'll take a look.
    "With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite online entertainment on your HDTV—movies, TV shows, music, and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome. "
    "Everything you love, now on your TV. "
    " Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; "
    It says it works with Chrome on Android 2.3+.
    I assume that they will some day get it working on Chrome and Android since they advertise that it works but it certainly is a "pre-beta" (alpha) product that they should just give away to all of us "testers" until they can get it to work.
    Right now, on my Nexus 4 and 7, I can only use it for paid content... that may be their goal but it is not mine.
    Where?

I just don't know what to say. You have managed to read something between the lines that just isn't there. It would be more honest for Google to just say that you can't use it to stream the web on Android devices.
    You seem like a sucker for sleazy advertising and I imagine you fall for all that late night advertising and miracle cures.
    You seem like someone who doesn't know how to read and I imagine you fall for anything you misread on the internet.

"Chromecast. Everything you love, now on your TV. "
    I assume that Google has some special definition of "everything" which includes YouTube, Netflix, and Play Store (and nothing else). However, that is not the definition that most people use. If you have drunk the Google kool-aid, then you may be satisfied. The rest of us just feel like we got short-changed.

Maybe i am missing something, but I did a search on the Google Play page for the Chromecast and the word "everything" isn't anywhere on it.

The sales page:
    Chromecast

Interestingly enough just below "Chromecast. Everything you love, now on your TV. " is this bullet point.

• Subscriptions may be required to use with certain content providers. Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac and Chrome for Windows; and Chromebook Pixel.

Now it is in smaller print, but it does put a pretty big hole in your above comment. The problem is you are harping on one comment instead of reading all of the information as a whole. It is said several places on both the Google play device page and the Chrome page you linked to that this is to play content from the web to the TV like a remote. They also all have comments referencing Play Movies, Netflix, Youtube, and Play Music. If you choose to read one thing on the page that isn't Googles fault.
    Thanked by:

Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac and Chrome for Windows; and Chromebook Pixel.

So why doesn't it work on my Android devices? It says right there it works on Android (right below the "Everything").

Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac and Chrome for Windows; and Chromebook Pixel.

So why doesn't it work on my Android devices? It says right there it works on Android (right below the "Everything").
    It does work on your android device. It works with applications that are written to use the chormecast on those versions of the OS. If you have Youtube, or Netflix, you can use those apps to tell the chromecast to play content from those services. I stand by what I said earlier. You need to read all of the information and not just one part of it.

My apologies, you can read. It's your comprehension that's the problem.

If you had read the posts before you posted your comments you would have seen that on 9/14 I had already clarified this. Give them time. This is a totally new concept and I am sure they are working to get as many apps to work with it as they can. I would say that so far this has been a damn good deal for only $35.
    Pat

Chromecast

ROM
    Viper

It does work on your android devices for apps that support it. Chrome is not one of the supported apps.

It explicitly says Chrome for windows/mac. It no where on the ad says anything about chrome for mobile.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    It does work on your android devices for apps that support it. Chrome is not one of the supported apps.

It explicitly says Chrome for windows/mac. It no where on the ad says anything about chrome for mobile.
    Does anyone know why they have not added it for Nexus 7 or any of the mobile Android Devices? I signed up for Netflix, and absolutely love this device for this feature alone.

The Nexus 7 2013 is my first tablet and I am using it far more than I ever thought. Adding this additional feature would hit it out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller440 View Post
    Does anyone know why they have not added it for Nexus 7 or any of the mobile Android Devices? I signed up for Netflix, and absolutely love this device for this feature alone.

The Nexus 7 2013 is my first tablet and I am using it far more than I ever thought. Adding this additional feature would hit it out of the park.
    It is not device specific. They have to upgrade the Chrome mobile app. Give them time.
    Pat

Chromecast

No mobile platform has Chrome Tab Casting. I suspect it is a performance issue more then anything else. I suspect there is some special stuff with the graphics card going on to provide the extra horsepower to encode the tab. With that in mind we will probably never see it on mobile, or atleast not for a long time.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

I have read the pedantic back and forth between those who are appalled that the device does not cast from Chrome with their mobile devices and those who are appalled that those complainers apparently cannot read. I can read. I have the Chromecast. I am moderately satisfied. The real question is what is Google's intent? If they plan to work on this, good. I think the device is worth what I already get out of it but will be more happy when I will be able to cast from Chrome on my s4. I am contemplating purchasing a Nexus 7 and Google's intent may come into play when I make that decision. What is the plan? I would like to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmiller440 View Post

My understanding ( humbly ) is that there is no engineering issue here. The guys at google could make all our dreams come true blindfolded. It's the " suits" that have hamstrung the CC. Lots of pressure coming from the media giants ( ie using CC to stream pirated content ). Google is changing it's business model.....it wants desperately to become a major player in streaming content and does not want to upset their future partners. Which is ominous for the CC. Engineering/ coding is what Google do...this is not a " capability" issue but a political one and so the CC may never be enabled to stream from anything outside a narrow approved " white list"
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast