Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

ROM
    Viper

Default Re: I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

Quote Originally Posted by idm747 View Post
    My understanding ( humbly ) is that there is no engineering issue here. The guys at google could make all our dreams come true blindfolded. It's the " suits" that have hamstrung the CC. Lots of pressure coming from the media giants ( ie using CC to stream pirated content ). Google is changing it's business model.....it wants desperately to become a major player in streaming content and does not want to upset their future partners. Which is ominous for the CC. Engineering/ coding is what Google do...this is not a " capability" issue but a political one and so the CC may never be enabled to stream from anything outside a narrow approved " white list"
    While you are correct in that the content providers are what is holding up the general development, there COULD be hardware issues with tablets/smartphones streaming content locally. I don't know that there is, but there could be. They are not that powerful really.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by idm747 View Post
    My understanding ( humbly ) is that there is no engineering issue here. The guys at google could make all our dreams come true blindfolded. It's the " suits" that have hamstrung the CC. Lots of pressure coming from the media giants ( ie using CC to stream pirated content ). Google is changing it's business model.....it wants desperately to become a major player in streaming content and does not want to upset their future partners. Which is ominous for the CC. Engineering/ coding is what Google do...this is not a " capability" issue but a political one and so the CC may never be enabled to stream from anything outside a narrow approved " white list"
    Please see this thread. it is not as simply as may believe: Google Cast for Android Chrome app
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

It sounds like nobody knows for sure how it actually works...
    Some people seem to be saying that the device must decode the stream, re-encode it for the Chromecast and then retransmit it. This, indeed would take a lot of resources. However, I wonder why they don't just redirect the stream from the original source to Chromecast which would take no resources.

I got it to work from my nexus 7 and my S3 by downloading Team Viewer onto my computer, then getting the Team Viewer app on my phone and tablet. :P

I don't remember were I read it, but it was shown that the compatible video formats for the CC are somewhat limited. Anyone that thinks Google could just flip a switch and all our local content would work is just wrong.

There has to be something to ensure the video being passed to the cc is of a compatible format. The only way to do that would be to have the mobile device transcode the video stream realtime. I doubt most devices out there could do it. And then if they could the battery would end up getting tanked quickly.

The only reasonable way to use a mobile device is like that are doing. As a remote to play content stored on some other device. That other device would be able to transcode in realtime and hopefully not have to worry about battery power.

Posted via Android Central App
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    I don't remember were I read it, but it was shown that the compatible video formats for the CC are somewhat limited. Anyone that thinks Google could just flip a switch and all our local content would work is just wrong.

There has to be something to ensure the video being passed to the cc is of a compatible format. The only way to do that would be to have the mobile device transcode the video stream realtime. I doubt most devices out there could do it. And then if they could the battery would end up getting tanked quickly.

The only reasonable way to use a mobile device is like that are doing. As a remote to play content stored on some other device. That other device would be able to transcode in realtime and hopefully not have to worry about battery power.

What does this have to do with whether Chrome for Android has a CC extension or not?
    Pat
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    What does this have to do with whether Chrome for Android has a CC extension or not?
    Simple. Does a CC extension need to be made if the device doesn't have the CPU to perform the task in the first place. For a CC extension for Chrome for mobile to be made it needs to be pretty reliable. There is no way google can assure that with the wide range of cpu power on our portable devices, and the slew of video codec implementations out there. By depending on external services like Hulu, Netflix, Google Play they can ensure compatibility. I agree and would love local playback, but after dealing with video codecs and conversion software for some time I can certainly understand the complexities of how to make this work. Especially after reading the slim list of supported video codecs.

My point is that allot of people are oversimplifying this.
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Spohr View Post
    It sounds like nobody knows for sure how it actually works...
    Some people seem to be saying that the device must decode the stream, re-encode it for the Chromecast and then retransmit it. This, indeed would take a lot of resources. However, I wonder why they don't just redirect the stream from the original source to Chromecast which would take no resources.
    Actually we are very clear how it works. But not every stream will work straight to the CC. The services that work as you suggest are designed to work with the CC at the source. exp. Netflix, Play Movies, Play music. If they aren't setup to support the proper video codecs to stream directly to the CC then Chrome on the PC or Mac are needed to take the stream and convert it to a proper video codec for the CC. This is again a lack of understanding of how video works on computers and how really complex it can be.
    Craig

I understand the frustration. Everyone's selling and promoting tablets so much now (including the Nexus) that is seems surreal that Google would make Chromecast available before it works on their own tablet. I don't own a laptop, it's Nexus or desktop, and the desktop's 3 rooms away from the TV so Chromecast is useless to me. It's like technology taking a step backward.

And regardless of what Google has or hasn't spelled out, printed directly on the Chromecast box is this: "Send video or anything on the Web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." At this point at least, that's false advertising. Tons of small print on the bottom, but it doesn't excuse that sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Alniter View Post
    And regardless of what Google has or hasn't spelled out, printed directly on the Chromecast box is this: "Send video or anything on the Web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." At this point at least, that's false advertising. Tons of small print on the bottom, but it doesn't excuse that sentence.
    I challenge you to show that exact quote anywhere on the website.

Edit: Yes the actual box says that on the back, but I believe you are splitting hairs here. The website correctly states what it will and will not do.
    Pat
    Chromecast

Only reason I bought nexus 7 and chromecast was to stream browser to my TV. Returning both to bestbuy tomorrow and hooking my htpc back to my TV. Waste of time and money. How could you release such a products and not have them work together? Google obviously thinks they are loosing revenue somehow if they do, but they are only pissing people off. I'll check out apple when I return my google products tomorrow.

I already have all these apps on my Xbox, PlayStation, blue ray player, and smart TV. The only thing chromecast is good for at present is YouTube, which I already have on 4 other devices. Come on google! Seriously? No streaming chrome browser support? So pissed I may never buy another google or android device.

I'm not asking for full video support, only to browse the internet from my nexus to TV...YOU can't do that? Seriously?

You can do it on every android smartphone and tablet but you can't make it work for chromecast? Bull****

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller12 View Post
    You can do it on every android smartphone and tablet but you can't make it work for chromecast? Bull****
    Do you understand how chromecast works? It handles casting from a desk top vastly differently than casting from an app. Saying tablets and phones can browse the internet, so should the chromecast is like saying my jeep can drive off road so should my RV.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Do your research before you purchase. Chromecast has been available for months. Even this thread was started 3 months ago.

Ntchwaidumela likes this.

Oh, returned them today.

Who cares what the technical issues are, the box states " send videos or anything on the Web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." This is an outright LIE.

Who cares what the technical issues are, the box states " send videos or anything on the Web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." This is an outright LIE.
    If you think you have a chance, why don't you sue Google for false advertising. Your time, gas and frustration are worth something.

Read the rest of the info on the box IIRC there is clarification about what casts from where/what.There definately is on the website.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

When you are are an average consumer shopping and buying by impulse, which is most of us, you LARGE print on the box is, again, an outright lie. I'm supposed to do research in the store on the web with my smartphone for a $40 purchase? Shame on you Google.

I am also 52 yes old and need strong reading glasses...um...geese...wait till your 52, punk, could you hide it any better? My god, this really takes the cake. Will never buy another google product. Happy now? I will also point this all out to my friends who buy for they're kids. What a ridiculous argument and false advertising...unbelievable.

There is definetly NO CLARIFICATION THAT IT WONT WORK FROM A TABLET. SHOULD I I TAKE A PICTURE AND LET THE CONSUMERS DECIDE? Think I'm going to make this my personal vendetta, although google may turn me in to the government.

Can I post a pic on here? Someone tell me how?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast