I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

grafx1

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Chromecast from Best Buy. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to view my Chrome tab on my older Nexus 7. I found out that it required a Chrome extension. When I tried to get it from the Chrome Web Store, I found out that it wasn't supported on Android Chrome!! How stupid. One reason I got the device was to view the tab on TV. How could Google not support Android devices?? Also, I tried to use my wife's Ipad with the Chrome browser installed and find out that it is not supported yet!! So much for using any computer, phone or tablet.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Seriously, there are still some things that need to be worked out and new features to be released, this is just the tip of the iceberg. You're screaming like you got ripped off. Even if you didn't get the free 3 months of Netflix, this is very nice piece of technology for $35

I just received my Chromecast from Best Buy. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to view my Chrome tab on my older Nexus 7. I found out that it required a Chrome extension. When I tried to get it from the Chrome Web Store, I found out that it wasn't supported on Android Chrome!! How stupid. One reason I got the device was to view the tab on TV. How could Google not support Android devices?? Also, I tried to use my wife's Ipad with the Chrome browser installed and find out that it is not supported yet!! So much for using any computer, phone or tablet.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Casting chrome tabs is a beta feature. It also requires a good amount of cpu power, for example on chrome os devices it's only supported currently on the pixel.

On your android devices you can use the youtube, netflix, movies and tv app, and play music apps to cast to your chromecast device. There is more app support on the way. On your wife's ipod, try the netflix app.I know Jerry confirmed that the ios netflix app supported it: https://plus.google.com/114721707153992450318/posts/59HFHoem3Rg

TheNewWave

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Is that really true? I've also spent time on this. I bought the Chromecast only to display web streaming, don`t care about apps like Netflix etc. My LG SmartTV has a browser but it does not work very well on streaming so I thought Chromecast is the solution. Was easy to put on my old Win laptop, but that too slow so I bought a new tablet (Nexus 7 32G). Just got it last week so not even old and Google's own product. Why would that not work???? Incredible! Anyone knows when it will?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This is a huge miss understanding on your part. Google never said you could stream from the chrome browser on the tablet. It has always been the Play Music, Play TV & Movies, Youtube, and Netflix on the tablet or via Chrome on the desktop by casting a Tab to the Chromecast.

Once google officially releases the final SDK for the Chromecast we will see more apps. Allot are ready to release just waiting for the final word from Google.

fiji19

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I ran a successful experiment tonight, trying to simulate casting tabs from my phone to my TV. I used a remote desktop app on my phone to connect to a desktop computer that can cast chrome tabs, then simply used my phone to remotely cast the tabs. Navigation is fairly slow, but it does work. The remote app tried this with (2X Client RDP), displayed the tab on the TV using the phone's resolution instead of the desktop's resolution. There might be a setting to change this, and other remote desktop apps might work better, but this one was free so I tried it first. I'll mess with it some more when I'm not so tired.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Some people were under the assumptions tap casting would work on phones and tablets. They specifically said during the announcement it worked only off a computer.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
Chromecast

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As soon as the google moves the apk off of beta there are going to be tons of apps hitting the Play Store. There are proof of concept videos on YouTube showing it can be done. We just have to be patient.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
As soon as the google moves the apk off of beta there are going to be tons of apps hitting the Play Store. There are proof of concept videos on YouTube showing it can be done. We just have to be patient.

Exactly. Lots of neat stuff still to come.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
Chromecast

slts

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Try apple TV + air play from any mac device. Does exactly what you are looking for. Eventually this will as well.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
They clearly stated the chrome tab casting was only a function of the chrome browser on a PC. Some obviously didn't catch it.

It just came out. Give it time. We will see several more apps supporting it's functionality. I had a beta app that would play lock gallery content and drop box. As well as one other I forget.

Sent from my HTC One

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I ran a successful experiment tonight, trying to simulate casting tabs from my phone to my TV. I used a remote desktop app on my phone to connect to a desktop computer that can cast chrome tabs, then simply used my phone to remotely cast the tabs. Navigation is fairly slow, but it does work. The remote app tried this with (2X Client RDP), displayed the tab on the TV using the phone's resolution instead of the desktop's resolution. There might be a setting to change this, and other remote desktop apps might work better, but this one was free so I tried it first. I'll mess with it some more when I'm not so tired.

You should try the app called Splashtop 2. It is a really great RDP app and is pretty good with responsiveness as long as you don't go crazy with the resolution you are streaming back to your portable device. I use it on my tab and my phone, and have use it on Mini-PC's. As long as you are on your local network Splashtop 2 is free to use as well.

- - - Updated - - -

They shouldn't have started selling the device until it was ready.

And how was it not ready. It does everything they said it would.

jaredsutter

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
They shouldn't have started selling the device until it was ready.

It does what was promised very well. Certainly worth the $35. If it doesn't do what you think it should, that isn't Google's problem.

As has been said, tab casting requires a lot of processing power. It works on my 3-4 year old laptop with a Core i5 processor, but the laptop overheats and shuts down after about 45 minutes of streaming video. I doubt tab casting in its current form will ever work on a phone or tablet, as the battery and CPU would be taxed very heavily, and the device would likely overheat in minutes.

The Chromecast will be able to do more once the SDK is made public, but there will always be limitations. That's a good thing, because when a device tries to do everything, it usually does nothing very well.

hypokondriak

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I guess "very well" can be said by anyone that doesn't own or hasn't used Airplay. I am not in love with any of these companies, but I can Airplay Mirror my entire desktop dual path wireless (laptop -> wireless -> router -> wireless -> chromecast) significantly better than I can cast a single Chrome tab single path wireless (8x32 desktop -> wired -> router -> wireless -> chromecast). With the new OSX you can actually dual monitor using Airplay. You can't even dream of that with tab casting because it is a resource hog. Very inefficient.

So yeah if it doesn't do what I think it should then that's definitely Google's problem because the competition certainly can do it. And before you make this more about me, I switched to Google from the Apple ecosystem because I felt it shows a lot more promise. However this device was rushed to market. Beta SDK, features that don't work well with BS copout "experimental" tags. I guess Apple should have called their horrible maps product "experimental" at the start, eh?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope you understand that your argument here is like complaining that a toyota prius can't go offroad becuase your Hummer can.

First of all Airplay isn't the Apple TV it is a Apple proprietary standard. Similar to Intel's WiDi Technology which probably does much of what airplay does in your arugment. Miracast is what was suppose to allow Android home screen streaming to a display similar to WiDi but I have heard several varied feelings about that.

Though casting a chrome tab isn't a minor task on a computer I don't think it is that intensive. You can certainly multitask if you have a decent rig. I know i have a few times that i have used it.

Last the CC as Google put it out was never about really using local content. It was really about using your portable device to tell the CC to go get content what you want to watch from the internet and display it on the TV. It does that well.

To say a product isn't ready because you bought another piece of tech for almost 3 times the price, and the CC can't match one of it's propriety features is ridiculous. You also have to remember that the SDK isn't a requirement. I personally think the CC is worth it at this price point just for what it does now. The extra apps that are to come are just icing on the cake.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
That is a fine way to look at it. There are allot of people that have commented on the CC that probably shouldn't have gotten it in the first place. I hate it when people suggest something should be purchased on what is going to happen in the future. It has to do what you want it to do when you buy it otherwise what you really want may never come.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm still upset that the Chromcast doesn't play PS3 Blu-Ray games. My Playstation can do this, Netfliux , Youtube, it is backward compatable to PS2 games and only cost me ~$600 6 years ago.;) :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21