I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

hypokondriak

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't think your Prius example is at all what I'm trying to convey here because it's obvious to me a Prius doesn't compare to a Hummer because it doesn't have a 4WD button. The Chromecast does indeed have that 4WD button though, and that's the tab casting extension in Chrome. Judging by the slew of people having issues with it on this forum and others, it clearly isn't a 4WD button that works very well. So I would agree I'm comparing a cheaper car to a Hummer, but find me a 4WD car that doesn't 4WD very well and replace the Prius with that and I think we'll agree.

As for whether or not this is Google intent for the device or not I can not question you there as I wasn't there when they wrote their requirements. It certainly seems like it's a feature they intend to use because the button would have never existed without a requirement being written. It just isn't very good.

hypokondriak

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Additionally, the box for the thing has a Chrome logo on the back right next to YouTube, Netflix, and Google Play! Yeah shame on me for criticizing Google here. I'm the stupid consumer that's expecting the device to do things that it was obviously never intended to do.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Just to clarify the text on the back of the box is "Send Video or anything on the web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." This is under a Chrome, Youtube, Netflix, Google Play Logo.

On the front it says "The easiest way to watch online video on your TV"

Neither of those say anything about trying to replicate Airplay or anything other then then playback of internet based content. They simply talk about providing a path to get content to the TV.

The analogy is perfectly valid because I can certainly admit the CC isn't even in the same class of functionality as the Apple TV. Now a Google TV device would probably be a better and more valid comparison. I am sorry that you can't see that.

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
That is a fine way to look at it. There are allot of people that have commented on the CC that probably shouldn't have gotten it in the first place. I hate it when people suggest something should be purchased on what is going to happen in the future. It has to do what you want it to do when you buy it otherwise what you really want may never come.

No you should never buy on a promise. If it doesn't do what you want now, don't buy it or return it.

Also ppl comparing this to the apple TV is kind of stupid as well. You can have 3 cc and 9 months of Netflix, or you can have as Apple tv(assuming you already bought the over priced mac). The application TV is also on its 3rd generation I believe, which makes it a little unfair comparison to a product that has been out a month. In a few months you can make that comparison.

That being said, the cc does what it does better than any other device. Especially YouTube. I really can't wait for more apps to be put on this thing.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Lots of stuff about Airplay

Airplay also has minimum hardware requirements. I have a 2010 i7 MacBook Pro that Apple blocks from Airplay Mirroring. On the other hand, I can ChromeCast a Chrome tab just fine.

ETA: Airplay Mirroring works better because it relies on hardware H.264 encoding. So no, CC is not less efficient, it just doesn't have access to a hardware H.264 encoder.

realestatedan

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Even though I might have bought the thing anyway it would have been nice to know it would not cast from my Galaxy s3 chrome browser before I bought it. It is not enough for Google to just say it will cast from Chrome without making it clear that does not include Android (Google phone's) versions of Chrome. You should not chastise people for complaining when by Google was deliberately misleading in their Chromecast advertising. Hope is this is one of the things they are currently working on.

Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Seriously, there are still some things that need to be worked out and new features to be released, this is just the tip of the iceberg. You're screaming like you got ripped off. Even if you didn't get the free 3 months of Netflix, this is very nice piece of technology for $35

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok, Even though I might have bought the thing anyway it would have been nice to know it would not cast from my Galaxy s3 chrome browser before I bought it. It is not enough for Google to just say it will cast from Chrome without making it clear that does not include Android (Google phone's) versions of Chrome. You should not chastise people for complaining when by Google was deliberately misleading in their Chromecast advertising. Hope is this is one of the things they are currently working on.

On the Chrome page in the Play Store it states:

"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones? and iPads?, Chrome for Windows?, and Chrome for Mac?. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You won't have to learn anything new."

Note, it only says Chrome for Windows and Chrome for Mac. It does not say Chrome for mobile devices.

Having said that, I am sure they are working on getting it to work with the app as well as additional apps not mentioned yet.

Interestingly enough, they also do not mention Chromebooks. Anyone try that yet?

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough, they also do not mention Chromebooks. Anyone try that yet?

I believe early on some tried it and weren't having varied success. It was pretty much because the devices were simply not powerful enough to do it. I think someone with a Pixel was able to do it though.

konrad101

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Chrome for Linux works. I'm able to cast web sites (hulu.com) from my Linux Mint desktop that's hard wired to the router. I'm pleased but surprised that it worked.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I believe early on some tried it and weren't having varied success. It was pretty much because the devices were simply not powerful enough to do it. I think someone with a Pixel was able to do it though.

I think the next generation that will use the new bay trial processors will probably work.

Mark Spohr

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android smartphones and tablets, iPhones? and iPads?, Chrome for Windows?, and Chrome for Mac?. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. You won't have to learn anything new."

So... why doesn't it work with my Android tablet (Nexus 7)?
I can't send Chrome browser tabs from my Nexus 7 to Chromecast.
I can send Chrome browser tabs from my MacBook Air to Chromecast but it is terrible! (slow refresh, stutter, disconnects frequently, etc.). I have good LAN connections.
This device is not ready for anything!

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

So... why doesn't it work with my Android tablet (Nexus 7)?
I can't send Chrome browser tabs from my Nexus 7 to Chromecast.
I can send Chrome browser tabs from my MacBook Air to Chromecast but it is terrible! (slow refresh, stutter, disconnects frequently, etc.). I have good LAN connections.
This device is not ready for anything!

The device does exactly what it was advertised to do. It works on your tablet/smart phone [google music, Netflix, Youtube] Note it does not claim to cast from Chrome for Android.

As for your problem with your MAC book air , there is a thread in this forum that might contain some help.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...abs-play-nice-haswell-macbook-air-2013-a.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...romecast-lagging-my-macbook-pro-big-time.html

Mark Spohr

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the references for the MacBook Air... I'll take a look.
As far as your statement that "it does exactly what it was advertised to do"... this is just wrong.
I just copied this from the Chromecast page:
"With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite online entertainment on your HDTV?movies, TV shows, music, and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome. "
"Everything you love, now on your TV. "
" Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; "
It says it works with Chrome on Android 2.3+.
I assume that they will some day get it working on Chrome and Android since they advertise that it works but it certainly is a "pre-beta" (alpha) product that they should just give away to all of us "testers" until they can get it to work.
Right now, on my Nexus 4 and 7, I can only use it for paid content... that may be their goal but it is not mine.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as your statement that "it does exactly what it was advertised to do"... this is just wrong.
"With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite online entertainment on your HDTV—movies, TV shows, music, and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome. "

and in the following paragraph on the same page you quoted it clarifies the above statment with:

"Chromecast works with devices you already own, including Android tablets and smartphones, iPhones?, iPads?, Chrome for Mac? and Chrome for Windows?. Browse for what to watch, control playback, and adjust volume using your device. You won't have to learn anything new. "

Emphasis Mine

If it included all versions of Chrome it wouldn't need to spell out for Mac or for Windows.

In short it does exactly what it was advertised to do.

Mark Spohr

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I just don't know what to say. You have managed to read something between the lines that just isn't there. It would be more honest for Google to just say that you can't use it to stream the web on Android devices.
You seem like a sucker for sleazy advertising and I imagine you fall for all that late night advertising and miracle cures.

Westifire

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the references for the MacBook Air... I'll take a look.
"With Chromecast, you can easily enjoy your favorite online entertainment on your HDTV—movies, TV shows, music, and more from Netflix, YouTube, Google Play, and Chrome. "
"Everything you love, now on your TV. "
" Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; "
It says it works with Chrome on Android 2.3+.
I assume that they will some day get it working on Chrome and Android since they advertise that it works but it certainly is a "pre-beta" (alpha) product that they should just give away to all of us "testers" until they can get it to work.
Right now, on my Nexus 4 and 7, I can only use it for paid content... that may be their goal but it is not mine.

Where?

I just don't know what to say. You have managed to read something between the lines that just isn't there. It would be more honest for Google to just say that you can't use it to stream the web on Android devices.
You seem like a sucker for sleazy advertising and I imagine you fall for all that late night advertising and miracle cures.

You seem like someone who doesn't know how to read and I imagine you fall for anything you misread on the internet.

Mark Spohr

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
"Chromecast. Everything you love, now on your TV. "
I assume that Google has some special definition of "everything" which includes YouTube, Netflix, and Play Store (and nothing else). However, that is not the definition that most people use. If you have drunk the Google kool-aid, then you may be satisfied. The rest of us just feel like we got short-changed.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe i am missing something, but I did a search on the Google Play page for the Chromecast and the word "everything" isn't anywhere on it.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly enough just below "Chromecast. Everything you love, now on your TV. " is this bullet point.

• Subscriptions may be required to use with certain content providers. Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac? and Chrome for Windows?; and Chromebook Pixel.

Now it is in smaller print, but it does put a pretty big hole in your above comment. The problem is you are harping on one comment instead of reading all of the information as a whole. It is said several places on both the Google play device page and the Chrome page you linked to that this is to play content from the web to the TV like a remote. They also all have comments referencing Play Movies, Netflix, Youtube, and Play Music. If you choose to read one thing on the page that isn't Googles fault.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1