I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
When you are are an average consumer shopping and buying by impulse, which is most of us, you LARGE print on the box is, again, an outright lie. I'm supposed to do research in the store on the web with my smartphone for a $40 purchase? Shame on you Google.

Previously you mentioned that you also bought a Nexus 7. I wish I could spend $300 on impulse.

Posted via Android Central App

evanl81

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Do you understand that this forum is not run by Google? I actually sort of agree with you - I watched the original launch where they spelled out exactly what will and won't work, but the packaging is a bit deceiving. My suggestion would be to return it if you're unhappy with it.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion would be to return it if you're unhappy with it.

Exactly, as a 52 year old adult I'd imagine this isn't the first time in his life that hewound up with something not working the way he expected it to. the clear otions are: accept one's mistake in misunderstanding the capabliities of a device, Return it because it doesn't meet one's needs, Keep it and continue to blame the manufacturer

Last edited:

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
If anyone cares, you can also cast a tab in Chrome, from a Samsung series 3 Chromebook to the CC just fine. No issues and 720p.

evanl81

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have trouble believing the quality on this is very good. I can't watch video cast from Chrome on my MacBook pro or quad core Mac Pro because the quality is noticeably degraded (vs a direct stream from Netflix or HBO).

Leo psyvr1

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2013-12-10-00-57-23.png
I'd take a pic of the error screen and post it if I knew how...maybe follow me on YouTube?
i hear you mike i attached the screenshot my nexus shows. For any you want to take use power and volume down like the button on a camera at the same time. This shot was from crackle Screenshot_2013-12-10-00-57-23.png

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Eh, no it doesnt..thats not how it works. The chromecast dongle connects to your wifi and streams the content by itself, what the chrome extension does is simply sending the video source adress to it....
Apps cast it as you describe. The Chrome browser just casts what is running in the tab on the machine (or the desktop if you try the beta option for it). The PC is still doing the work. Think about it. How would Chromecast know what is on your tab or desktop? Start a game of solitaire and then you the beta option to cast the desktop. The only place that game is playing is on your machine. Or, start the YouTube app on your phone and then cast it. Now shut off your phone. The video will continue to play. Try that with your PC and you will lose the cast.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Eh, no it doesnt..thats not how it works. The chromecast dongle connects to your wifi and streams the content by itself, what the chrome extension does is simply sending the video source adress to it....

I understand the concept of casting, but using the chromecast extension to cast a chrome tab is a little different (and I was referring to specifically casting a chrome tab). If it wasn't, then why would the system requirements to support the extension be so high?

See here:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en

Based on the required specs it's doing more than just sending an address for the chromecast to get the content.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Chrome tab casting essentially has your computer use it's video buffer to encode a VP8 video stream to send to the CC. Most likely it is done with a combination of cpu and gpu resources. Encoding real time hd is pretty damn hard if either of those are lacking.

They aren't even trying to do 1080p. Almost no one could do it.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Chrome tab casting essentially has your computer use it's video buffer to encode a VP8 video stream to send to the CC. Most likely it is done with a combination of cpu and gpu resources. Encoding real time hd is pretty damn hard if either of those are lacking.

They aren't even trying to do 1080p. Almost no one could do it.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Exactly.

David Greenberg1

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Just want to chime in that I also bought a CC believing I could cast any chrome tab from my Android tablet to my TV. Glad I only spent $15 on a refurb!!! As for the Google fanboys defending Google, why doesn't Google just come out and say that the CC extensions "DON'T WORK ON ANDROID CHROME!!!" Instead, they snivelingly just expect that you will ultimately figure that out and give up. How Microsoft-like! (And I thought they were different). You can go into the Android KitKat settings, display, cast screen to TV, and it says "No devices found", so tell me that's not confusing and inconsistent, when the CC App itself says it sees your CC device! If all I needed was nother Netflix/Hulu ATM/Cash Machine, I wouldn't gone this route, I'd go Roku. I wanted to cast a Chrome tab running video from overseas (a news program) I watch daily. In another room, I do that regularly with my Ipad Mini and Airplay, which actually WORKS. Booooo and shame on Google!

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Online video casting from Android Chrome (as opposed to Tab casting) has been available for sometime now. HTML5 video only and needs to be on full screen mode on the phone/tablet for the cast icon to appear. Works well.

mlmeloy

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For those still looking for ways to cast from a browser, I think Firefox beta supports this. I haven't tried it myself, though.