Is Chromecast compatible with an HDMI switch?

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I ran out of HDMI ports on my tv. Will this work on an HDMI switch?

Last edited by a moderator:

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Re: compatible with an HDMI switch?

It does not work on my 4 in 1 out switch or another 2 way one both from monoprice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

That sucks. I ordered a 3X1 HDMI switch from Monoprice specifically for this purpose. Guess it's going back

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

That is odd, why would it work in an a/v receiver but not a stand alone switch?

gfearz

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

It works in my 3x1 switch. I can't remember for sure but believe it was from MonoPrice. I've had it several years.

Posted via Android Central App

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Thanks. Make sure you add feedback on Monoprice's site.

I was going to order this For only $8.41 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3X1 Mini HDMI? Switch

Looks like I'll have to move my bluray and Xbox to the switch and Chromecast to the TV.

Yep I will be switching some things around too. This is the one I have

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3D5557%26seq%3D1%26format%3D1&token=psteJg5k

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

tillerrw

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

It works in my very inexpensive switch that I got from either monoprice or meritline a number of years back. The switch is supposed to automatically switch to the most recently active port but doesn't seem to do that well. I have to push the button to select the port I want to use, not that big of a deal. I'm not sure on the specifics of how the Chromecast is supposed to turn on your TV when you send video to it but I know that doesn't work when using the switch. I haven't tried with it connected directly to the TV.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

It does not work on my 4 in 1 out switch or another 2 way one both from monoprice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Any chance you didn't have it plugged into a power source? The switch won't detect it without a signal.

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

It was plugged in. Tried plugging directly into wall and into my power center Hts 5100

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Moses Smith

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site

It works in my very inexpensive switch that I got from either monoprice or meritline a number of years back. The switch is supposed to automatically switch to the most recently active port but doesn't seem to do that well. I have to push the button to select the port I want to use, not that big of a deal. I'm not sure on the specifics of how the Chromecast is supposed to turn on your TV when you send video to it but I know that doesn't work when using the switch. I haven't tried with it connected directly to the TV.
CEC I believe is the technology that is behind turning on the t.v. when it's off. I unfortunately can't take advantage of it because I have the CC powered by the open usb port on my tv which doesn't provide power when the tv is off.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

sprof

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I bought that exact switch and can confirm that it works fine. I have a Roku in one, Tivo in two and the Chromecast in three and they all work.

Good to know, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

I bought that exact switch and can confirm that it works fine. I have a Roku in one, Tivo in two and the Chromecast in three and they all work.

Is there a significant advantage to having a powered HDMI switch over an unpowered one? The powered ones are more expensive.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Is there a significant advantage to having a powered HDMI switch over an unpowered one? The powered ones are more expensive.

If your HDMI cable runs are short, you likely don't need powered switches. HDMI requires power from the source to work and over long cable runs you will start to see degradation in PQ and AQ. An alternative is to use a powered switch to keep the signal strong.

Some have also noticed that powered switches handle auto-switching better than non-powered switches, but since all three of my devices are "always-on" devices, auto-switching has never really worked for me, so I opted for the cheap manual switch, mostly because of it's tiny form factor.

Paulyboy

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I have one of those TVs that just refuses to automatically switch to the correct input when I start casting a video. I have the ChromeCast plugged into a power outlet. I suppose my cable set-top box could also be considered "always on" just like the ChromeCast. If I were to get one of the HDMI switches mentioned in this thread would that solve this problem if I prioritized the inputs correctly?

-PN