Is Chromecast compatible with an HDMI switch?

tillerrw

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: compatible with an HDMI switch?

I have one of those TVs that just refuses to automatically switch to the correct input when I start casting a video. I have the ChromeCast plugged into a power outlet. I suppose my cable set-top box could also be considered "always on" just like the ChromeCast. If I were to get one of the HDMI switches mentioned in this thread would that solve this problem if I prioritized the inputs correctly?

-PN

I have a cheap switch and this doesn't correct the problem for me. Granted my Panasonic plasma TV is from December 2005 so it might just be that my TV is not capable of CEC or whatever Panasonic calls it.

Paulyboy

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I have a cheap switch and this doesn't correct the problem for me. Granted my Panasonic plasma TV is from December 2005 so it might just be that my TV is not capable of CEC or whatever Panasonic calls it.

I have an LG HDTV from three or four years ago with LG's Simplelink" but it doesn't work with this. I was hoping one of these HDMI switches would correct this problem.

-PN

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Just received my Chromecast today and it works on my Monoprice HDX-401TA "4X1 HDMI? Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) w/ 3D support". I have Chromecast on port 1, Roku3 on port 2, Blueray disc player on port 3, and Comcast DVR on port 4; audio is split via optical coax to my receiver. Everything (except the Chromecast, obviously) including the switch is controlled via Harmony remote.

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Just received my Chromecast today and it works on my Monoprice HDX-401TA "4X1 HDMI? Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) w/ 3D support". I have Chromecast on port 1, Roku3 on port 2, Blueray disc player on port 3, and Comcast DVR on port 4; audio is split via optical coax to my receiver. Everything (except the Chromecast, obviously) including the switch is controlled via Harmony remote.

I looked a little closer and checked my invoice and the part # is 500112 (PID 5557). So maybe mine is older. If you look at the picture, you will see its almost identical except for the labels. Maybe I need to swap

Attachments

• 20130810_124156.jpg
    20130810_124156.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 55571.jpg
    55571.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 518

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I looked a little closer and checked my invoice and the part # is 500112 (PID 5557). So maybe mine is older. If you look at the picture, you will see its almost identical except for the labels. Maybe I need to swap

Solidmate is a trademark of Monoprice. Was yours in the clearance section maybe? Contact them, those are real employees you are talking to through their chat.

hydroz_23

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Solidmate is a trademark of Monoprice. Was yours in the clearance section maybe? Contact them, those are real employees you are talking to through their chat.

I purchased on 12/28/11 for $43.21 which is the current price but i guess it it possible. Without the HDMI out plugged into my TV, the Chromecast connects and plays fine (audio only) and the LED is white but as soon as I plug in the HMDI cable, it goes red and shuts off and my phone wont find it. Tried this switch on my Sharp and LG TV's with the same results. Tried another switch I found that I never used (HDX(C)-501E and it works just fine on both TV's but i need the 3.5mm audio and optical out that the other switch has. I will contact them and i guess buy another switch. Thanks

EDIT: Talked with Monoprice and the one I purchased was actually prior to the 5557 (pid #500112) and was before they revised it. So it looks like i will buy another

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I have a soundbar with a HDMI switch built in for 2 devices, Chromecast worked and audio passed through with zero issues.

dcimorse

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a cheap HDMI-3TO1 switch from eBay. At first I thought it wouldn't work with my ChromeCast. It switched Roku and another streaming box that I have but not CC.
I found that replacing the hdmi cable from the switch to the TV with a high quality one AND connecting the CC dongle to the supplied usb charger fixed the problem completely.
Apparently, CC is not very tolerant to poor cables and limited usb current from my set top box.

waynomo

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Interesting. I just received one of these switches from Monoprice. Chromecast and PS3 do NOT work with it. I get no sound or video. My TiVo does work. It seems strange that it would work with TiVo and not the others. I tried lots of different combinations and even tried it on another TV. I guess my box is defective. Looks like I'll be calling Monoprice today. :(

chetstriker

May 25, 2011
Visit site

My TV supports CEC and it works to an extent. In other words it will automatically change the input to the chromecast input and start playing, but afterwards it will not change the input back and I have to manually switch back the input to my ruku.
With the HDMI Switch, is it actually switching back the input source to the ROKU after you're done casting?

Last edited:

AtanRaca

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased the Belkin Pro 1000 for $34.95 at Walmart just too see if it would work and it does. It does not auto turn on the TV which is a small bummer but not a deal breaker for me. I did have a Kinivo I got from Amazon a coupke of years ago and it would only show the Chrome boot screen and play sound when casting but no picture. I think the Belkin is a good deal and would try that.

Posted via Android Central App

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

One bit of weirdness - When I have the switch set to another source and the tv off, but then cast something, the CC will turn on the tv even though it was not the active source in the switch. So the switch does not block all communication when the CC is not the selected source, it can still send HDMI-CEC commands to the tv.

Last edited:

waynomo

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

So I have now tried 3 of these Monoprice HDMI switchers.

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

None worked with my older Mitsubishi HDTV with only DVI and a 1 year old APEX HDTV. I finally decided to try it on a neighbors Samsung HDTV and lo and behold the switcher works. To clarify, TiVo DVR was the only thing that worked with the switcher on my Mitsubishi and APEX HDTVs. My cable boxes, PS3, and Chromecast did not work. However, they all work flawlessly on a fairly new Samsung HDTV.

Any idea what would cause this and if there is anyway to fix this?

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Good to know, i just ordered this one yesterday. getting tired of switching out my xbox and chromecast. Really thought i had 3 ports on my tv before i got chromecast. Oh well next big tv we get will have 3 for sure.

Update - Got this switch yesterday and it works perfectly. If anyone is looking to get an HDMI switch, get this one. The remote is really nice as well.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance